E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CO2 to cool intercooler? Fine Tuned Speed Channel

07-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #23
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
I had the CryO2 on a previous car. Itworks if you spray down the IC before the run. You do NOT want it to spray during the run, or get into the intake. CO2 will seize an engine, it is not like NO2.

And you can get get CO2 at any welding supply shop. They use C02 for some of their equipment. It is much cheaper than NO2 ($1/lb. vs. $4/lb.) hence why it makes a lot more sense as an IC sprayer than N02. Similar effects but much cheaper.
Wanted to get this for my Turbo E36 M3 but here's the link
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #24
fanman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Mazda RX8

John, that's the one I have, the Cry02 system. I actually live in Glendale..right next to you. I might be giving parts away from my kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #25
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Just throw a thin slab of dry ice on top of the IC between runs.
solid CO2 > liquid/gas
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
its not liquid co2, you get some liquid, but its not a liquid fill

It is liquid....Co2 in a closed container under pressure is liquid.
      07-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #27
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
LMFAO i missed this the first time around

the denser air will make you run lean? serisouly?

good thing the amount of fuel injected is determined by the map sensor and a thermometer... seriously, im not bullshitting you

The subaru guys had a problem running lean. I guess it all depends on how much gas your injectors can squirt out. They have to max out there duty cycle at some point. Especially with a procede ontop of that. But I have no idea if you can max out direct injection or not. But running lean is and should be one of your number one concerns no matter what type of ecu or piggy back you have. Lean is no laughing matter.
      07-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #28
fanman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJAX View Post
Just throw a thin slab of dry ice on top of the IC between runs.
solid CO2 > liquid/gas
Also most IC's are front mounted, not top mounted.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #29
StrikeTheMatch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
The subaru guys had a problem running lean. I guess it all depends on how much gas your injectors can squirt out. They have to max out there duty cycle at some point. Especially with a procede ontop of that. But I have no idea if you can max out direct injection or not. But running lean is and should be one of your number one concerns no matter what type of ecu or piggy back you have. Lean is no laughing matter.
That is true but IMHO if you tune your engine such that this little contraption pushes you over the max pulse width edge, You didn't have enough margin in your injector setup to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also most IC's are front mounted, not top mounted.
True true, totally crazy idea anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #31
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
So if the CO2 system can get the IC to say 15 degrees F and the denser air makes it run lean...........what happens to the guys up north that run their cars in -20 degree F temperature. Their cars must be really really lean huh.

There's so much BS information in this thread I swear I lost 10 points off my IQ just by reading it.
      08-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #32
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Wait, I'm confused (no surprise there)..

Are you guys talking about a intake stream injection system, where the CO2 is injected into the intake, and therefore makes its way into the combustion chamber?

Or are you talking about using the CO2 to spray onto and cool down the IC, which by definition is OUTSIDE the intake stream...and just chills down the IC from the outside...

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #33
grymattr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

This is a copy of a thread I replied to a month ago. I had a 350z (till 4 days ago when I sold it) and yes, the cryo cooling is good for a bump in HP - especially on warmer days like we're having now mid 80's with high humidity. Cooler dryer air compresses better than warmer moist air. The systems are relatively inexpensive and easy to connect, I'm not going to be the first kid on the block to try it though. For my Z it worked well - as far as the 335i goes - this is all new to me at this point.

Peace,

Dean
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #34
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I'd completely forgotten about this thread. Thanks for the resurrection. This mid-atlantic heat wave is completely out of hand. Last week, 5 of 7 days had the national high temp in VA or NC
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #35
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
So if the CO2 system can get the IC to say 15 degrees F and the denser air makes it run lean...........what happens to the guys up north that run their cars in -20 degree F temperature. Their cars must be really really lean huh.

There's so much BS information in this thread I swear I lost 10 points off my IQ just by reading it.
Well I'm no expert in CO2 sprayed IC's, just trying to apply some logic:

How could a sudden loss of temperature happen during normal conditions? Well, like crashing to the freezer. Anyway, my point is - there is a pretty high possibility the car's management isn't ready to handle s/t like this, why would it be, right? So a sudden major drop in temperature, causing exponentially more oxygen in the intake, logically not followed by an adequate reaction of the ECU, can cause the engine running lean. So?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #36
fanman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Wait, I'm confused (no surprise there)..

Are you guys talking about a intake stream injection system, where the CO2 is injected into the intake, and therefore makes its way into the combustion chamber?

Or are you talking about using the CO2 to spray onto and cool down the IC, which by definition is OUTSIDE the intake stream...and just chills down the IC from the outside...

That's not possible. CO2 would seize an engine if it was sprayed into an engine. It sprays onto the fins of the intercooler, cooling the outside of the enclosed unit so that the air that goes through the IC is cooled down.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #37
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
That's not possible. CO2 would seize an engine if it was sprayed into an engine. It sprays onto the fins of the intercooler, cooling the outside of the enclosed unit so that the air that goes through the IC is cooled down.
Please explain how CO2 could seize an engine. You do know that CO2 is a gas at ambient temp and pressure right? I guess I'd better start figuring out how to filter out all the CO2 that's naturally in the ambient air before it goes into the engine......hate to seize it up.

I'm going to go ahead and buy a CO2 intercooler spray bar system and put it on. I'll post the results next time I go to the track.
      08-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #38
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Please explain how CO2 could seize an engine. You do know that CO2 is a gas at ambient temp and pressure right? I guess I'd better start figuring out how to filter out all the CO2 that's naturally in the ambient air before it goes into the engine......hate to seize it up.

I'm going to go ahead and buy a CO2 intercooler spray bar system and put it on. I'll post the results next time I go to the track.
i believe he meant in terms of it being non combustable, i dont believe it will give up its oxygen atoms for the combustion process either, but im not sure really
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #39
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i believe he meant in terms of it being non combustable,

i dont believe it will give up its oxygen atoms for the combustion process either, but im not sure really
C02 won't break down into Carbon and O2.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #40
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, otherwise we could breathe CO2 and extract oxygen from it...

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #41
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Correct, otherwise we could breathe CO2 and extract oxygen from it...
Only plants can do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #42
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Correctamundo...but they also "exhale" oxygen...

Hey, maybe we should grow plants in our intakes!

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #43
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
yea i said i didnt think it would, i know it doesn tunder normal circumstances, but shit does weird things under pressure and high temp

if i remember correctly though from chem class way back in the day c02 is one of the stronger bonds out there
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #44
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea i said i didnt think it would, i know it doesn tunder normal circumstances, but shit does weird things under pressure and high temp

if i remember correctly though from chem class way back in the day c02 is one of the stronger bonds out there
I wonder if there's an efficient catalytic reaction (similar in principle to our exhaust cats) that can break down the C and o2...wouldn't that be cool? It could be put in the intake stream, and feed extra o2 to the engine...

Any chemies out there want to tackle this question? My chem minor only takes me so far...

Appreciate 0