E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Battery discharged, but no warning light?

09-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
MikeD8891
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Battery discharged, but no warning light?

Hello everyone, anybody hear of something like this before?

So the city of Chicago decided to repave our alley over the past 3 weeks , and my driveway is downward sloping from the alley (picture a garage under the ground level, and a downward sloping driveway). Anyways, now the alley is sloped away from the driveway, so when I went to back in the other night to park, my ride bottomed out pretty badly. Normally, I wouldn't be terribly worried about it, but when I went to turn my car from on to accessory only, the yellow battery light (CID code 229) came on. I switched the car to off, and tried to start it again. It struggled to turn over and then gave up. Now I have CID codes 229, 354, and 681 all on at once.

My car is 7 years old now, so it's due for a battery, but I thought I would receive more advanced notice that the battery was going. I know there are some power cables running from the battery to the front of the vehicle (and the undercarriage panels are supposed to shield them), so my greatest fear is that the cables were somehow cut/frayed when the bottom of the car scraped along the concrete. I've never had the car up on a lift to see how protected those cables are, so does anyone on the forum know how they are run? I would think the BMW engineers would be smarter than leaving them in an area where they could be smashed/cut/frayed if the car bottoms out, but you never know...

Any help you guys could provide is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Mike
Appreciate 0