E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Methanol Kit **EXTENSIVE REVIEW/DIY**

09-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #45
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
It is really no more flamable than rubbing alcohol or gasoline. It has a flash point of 148F, so heat inside the trunk couldn't ignite it. I am guessing he had a massive leak go un checked and it leaked through everything and eventually onto the exhaust. I think like any mod, you need to look things over and inspect vital parts.
I don't know the details yet, but I just thought I'd let you guys know about being safe. I know you are, but it's a word out there to people who like the idea of meth but shouldn't have it.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #46
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
There are numerous hardware differences in the kits. The Snow Performance SHO pump is the most powerful pump out there and it is an exclusive to Snow Performance. There nozzles on the Snow kit have filters built in and elbows to make an easy install. Snow has a check valve in the pump and a solenoid to prevent siphoning (can hydrolock an engine). The kit is really top notch in ever aspect.

The whole tuning strategy is designed around "ease of use" for the end user. No tables or anything like that to confuse the process. They want high performance without difficulty in setup.
ya, i'm really loving the entire kit, what's funny is evolution racewerks, the shop doing my intake mani & my FMIC, has been running snow performance kit on their 135 for a while now & they've been telling me to pull the trigger & i've just been hesitant but this basically setted my uncertainty!

& one more question, i'm considering installing the reservoir in my engine bay instead of the trunk to make my install/life a lot easier, i know that the reservoir won't be nearly the size as if i mount in the trunk but besides reservoir size is there any other reason i wouldn't want to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #47
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
ya, i'm really loving the entire kit, what's funny is evolution racewerks, the shop doing my intake mani & my FMIC, has been running snow performance kit on their 135 for a while now & they've been telling me to pull the trigger & i've just been hesitant but this basically setted my uncertainty!

& one more question, i'm considering installing the reservoir in my engine bay instead of the trunk to make my install/life a lot easier, i know that the reservoir won't be nearly the size as if i mount in the trunk but besides reservoir size is there any other reason i wouldn't want to do this?
Evolution seems like a great shop nlakind and I am sure they will take care of you on the install.

The real negative with the engine bay install is you will probably use the windshield washer resevoir and that is only 1.1 gallons. The good thing is the reservoir already has a low level indicator and the fuel line run is short. Realistically, if you are driving the car hard then you will go through some methanol. It is relatively cheap, so that is not a consideration, but I guess it comes down to how often you want to fill it. I personally like to fill it and leave it be, so the trunk was a better choice for me. If you really don't mind having to fill it probably once a week / two weeks, then it doesn't matter anyway. If you do care about filling it, then go with the trunk. The fuel line run is easy and taking the rear seat/panels is easy to run the wire. The extra shop time can't be more than an hour.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #48
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
Evolution seems like a great shop nlakind and I am sure they will take care of you on the install.

The real negative with the engine bay install is you will probably use the windshield washer resevoir and that is only 1.1 gallons. The good thing is the reservoir already has a low level indicator and the fuel line run is short. Realistically, if you are driving the car hard then you will go through some methanol. It is relatively cheap, so that is not a consideration, but I guess it comes down to how often you want to fill it. I personally like to fill it and leave it be, so the trunk was a better choice for me. If you really don't mind having to fill it probably once a week / two weeks, then it doesn't matter anyway. If you do care about filling it, then go with the trunk. The fuel line run is easy and taking the rear seat/panels is easy to run the wire. The extra shop time can't be more than an hour.
thought so, i'll figure it out, i'll probably end up going thru the trunk but i'll keep everybody posted, thanks again for the great review!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Nice review,,,,
Get on a dyno lets see some meth #'s
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #50
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
thought so, i'll figure it out, i'll probably end up going thru the trunk but i'll keep everybody posted, thanks again for the great review!
No problem. Let me know what direction you go!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #51
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Nice review,,,,
Get on a dyno lets see some meth #'s
It is in the plans. I have a few other parts that I want to install before the dyno, but it should be soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #52
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

What's next?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #53
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
What's next?
Well, what I think you will find is water/methanol changes everything. Now you eliminate your octane limitation to a degree. Heat soak is a thing of the past, so your run to run consistency is simply remarkable. IAT boost decay is no longer going to happen to your car. Shiv once said that water/methanol was free power and you would be a fool not to use it. I think he is exactly right. Outside of a tune this may be the one of the top two mods in greatest bang for buck argument.

Where to go from here? Well, I have a few things that I am looking into. I have never been one to tease, so I will continue to just work my way along. I have tried to present products to the community in an unbiased manner and will continue to do that. I give information (maybe lots of information) and you can decide if it fits your needs. I hope I can bring a few more product reviews to the table, help people find the right products, and the right vendors to work with. I really do enjoy these reviews and suggesting how companies can adapt their products to meet our N54 community needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #54
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

I have a flow gauge coming hopefully next week, so I can go over exactly how you would want to set SafeInjection if you go with the setup I have.

Snow Performance is also in the process of making an N54 specific kit. You would be able to order individual items or an all in one kit. STETT Performance Charge Pipe is an option if you are interested. One of the items that I am curious about is the carbon fiber plate where the controller is mounted in the former ash tray. Would you guys be interested in having that type of a mounting plate? Ideally it would be a simple as removing the 4 screws that hold in the current ash tray and just screw down the entire new assembly.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #55
Sako_335
Major
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Garage List
2008 335 Sedan  [0.00]
nice
      09-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #56
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I've pretty much poured 100% meth on my engine before while it's hot with no issue (as my tanks in there). Just spilling it isn't going to do anything unless he's spilling it on fire. Especially since the stuff evaporates faster then a cheeseburger in front of a fat kid.

More likely scenario is he ran the meth line under the car and too close to the exhaust or something, nothing wrong with running them under the car, so long as you do it right.
      09-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #57
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I've pretty much poured 100% meth on my engine before while it's hot with no issue (as my tanks in there). Just spilling it isn't going to do anything unless he's spilling it on fire. Especially since the stuff evaporates faster then a cheeseburger in front of a fat kid.

More likely scenario is he ran the meth line under the car and too close to the exhaust or something, nothing wrong with running them under the car, so long as you do it right.
You are right there O-cha. I made sure my run was clear of anything that might heat it up. The flash over temperature of 50/50 water/methanol is about 600F I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #58
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Just a quick update. We have chatted a bit about how much injection of water/methanol do you get based on the pressure and nozzle size. We had some theoretical equations and my calculations showed at 220 psi that I should get about 520 ml/min on a Snow 100 ml/min nozzle and 175 ml/min nozzle. I do have a flow gauge now and according to my gauge I am flowing about 510-520 ml/min, so the calculations are correct. Make sure you know what psi your nozzles are rated at, so you can determine exactly how much water/methanol you are flowing.

I will be doing a write-up on the the flow gauge and how to set up SafeInjection soon. The nice thing about SafeInjection is it is your failsafe and has the flow sensor built in. This means hooking up the flow gauge is as simple as connecting one wire.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #59
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

me wants...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #60
ims
RockStarish
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

you definitely have some talent.... keep up the great work, am looking forward to seeing more thorough and comprehensive posts by you. Very Educational
Vishnu tuned V3 Rev II
www.tolworld.com
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #61
ims
RockStarish
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
I have a flow gauge coming hopefully next week, so I can go over exactly how you would want to set SafeInjection if you go with the setup I have.

Snow Performance is also in the process of making an N54 specific kit. You would be able to order individual items or an all in one kit. STETT Performance Charge Pipe is an option if you are interested. One of the items that I am curious about is the carbon fiber plate where the controller is mounted in the former ash tray. Would you guys be interested in having that type of a mounting plate? Ideally it would be a simple as removing the 4 screws that hold in the current ash tray and just screw down the entire new assembly.
heads up display... it might actually be easier depending on the display unit
Vishnu tuned V3 Rev II
www.tolworld.com
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #62
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
me wants...
Craig, thanks and trust me you do want it. The M5 board testing shows how well this functions. It is hands down the second biggest addition to the N54 power only behind a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #63
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ims View Post
you definitely have some talent.... keep up the great work, am looking forward to seeing more thorough and comprehensive posts by you. Very Educational
IMS, thank you very much. It is a absolutely incredible mod!

I will be going through the SafeInjection tuning soon. I also think I have a very good solution that should arrive Wednesday which will allow us to put the flow gauge right the main view of the driver. It will accomodate two 52 mm or 60 mm gauges depending on what you order.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #64
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ims View Post
heads up display... it might actually be easier depending on the display unit
HUD is just not for me. Some like it, but I think it would just give me a headache.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #65
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Former_Boosted_IS,
How is your Stett charge pipe holding up............are the meth bungs in an ideal spot.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #66
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Former_Boosted_IS,
How is your Stett charge pipe holding up............are the meth bungs in an ideal spot.
Sparky, the STETT charge pipe has been absolutely spot on for me. I am spraying 2 nozzles in there (100 ml & 175 ml) and both STETT & Snow Performance believe with the nozzle pressure and pattern are ideal. You still get IAT drops that leave you about 20F below ambient and very good octane enhancements because it is so close to the throttle body.
Appreciate 0