E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DCT transmission stuck in park 335is

07-12-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
dailyis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335is

DCT transmission stuck in park 335is

I ran over a cone on highway and it caused coolant and power steering to leak but no transmission fluid, checked the flywheel nothing is there or got up into it, I can’t find any info online or any reason why the parking lock is just locked and I can’t unlock it, I also have INPA and ISTA if I can use that to diagnose deeper. Car will run and idle perfectly fine but won’t go into gear (reverse or drive) I can only set it in nuetral by going under the car and pushing this lever up as seen in the attachment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-02-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
BrunoE9X
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i SE DCT

Sorry to hear whats happened. I’ve got the same issue with my n55 dct 335i. It happened after similar circumstances.

My radiator got a crack and a fair bit of coolant had spilled everywhere. I got the radiator replaced at a garage that gave me the car back with a boost leak, which I got fixed at a more qualified mechanic.

After that it would be stuck in park on startup, giving a gearbox malfunction error on idrive but I managed to drive it for a week by turning it off and on once or multiple times, however that troubleshooting method stopped working. Funnily enough after I parked it on a curb on which the bottom scraped for a second but didn’t seem too bad so I don’t think it has anything to do with it.

Did you manage to fix the problem or figure out what caused it? I gave the car to the mechanic and he told me it’s an electric fault. A car electrician checked it out and told me I need a new shifter mechanism. I’ve left the car with him to sort it out as I’m not in a rush due to health reasons.

I’ll attach a screenshot of the fault codes I got from bimmerlink if they are of any help. I was however told to ignore them by the technicians.

EDIT: You might not need to go under the car to get into neutral. On mine if you lift the trim around the shift lever you’ll see a red button and next to it a hole. If you put a alan key in there and twist it anti clockwise, the car will go into neutral and then the red button puts it back into park.

Last edited by BrunoE9X; 10-13-2023 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
dailyis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoE9X View Post
Sorry to hear whats happened. I’ve got the same issue with my n55 dct 335i. It happened after similar circumstances.

My radiator got a crack and a fair bit of coolant had spilled everywhere. I got the radiator replaced at a garage that gave me the car back with a boost leak, which I got fixed at a more qualified mechanic.

After that it would be stuck in park on startup, giving a gearbox malfunction error on idrive but I managed to drive it for a week by turning it off and on once or multiple times, however that troubleshooting method stopped working. Funnily enough after I parked it on a curb on which the bottom scraped for a second but didn’t seem too bad so I don’t think it has anything to do with it.

Did you manage to fix the problem or figure out what caused it? I gave the car to the mechanic and he told me it’s an electric fault. A car electrician checked it out and told me I need a new shifter mechanism. I’ve left the car with him to sort it out as I’m not in a rush due to health reasons.

I’ll attach a screenshot of the fault codes I got from bimmerlink if they are of any help. I was however told to ignore them by the technicians.

EDIT: You might not need to go under the car to get into neutral. On mine if you lift the trim around the shift lever you’ll see a red button and next to it a hole. If you put a alan key in there and twist it anti clockwise, the car will go into neutral and then the red button puts it back into park.
Yes I got it fixed, it was no electrical fault at all, all my transmission fluid is what leaked out (transmission cooler near power steering pulley hit the bolt and teared thru the aluminum like a piece of paper) I had a feeling it was this but my car having dct I assumed it was a complicated issue
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 03:10 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyis View Post
Yes I got it fixed, it was no electrical fault at all, all my transmission fluid is what leaked out (transmission cooler near power steering pulley hit the bolt and teared thru the aluminum like a piece of paper) I had a feeling it was this but my car having dct I assumed it was a complicated issue
Glad to know it was just that. I have DCT to you were making me worried
Appreciate 0