E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Rear Toe Adjustment

01-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Rear Toe Adjustment

Hi All,

After hitting a kurb in the snow and looking at all of the arms (which appear fine) I wanted to try and adjust the toe in just so it's driveable but twisting the bolt is seriously hard and doesn't seem normal and now the bolt is very slightly rounding off. I was just wondering if maybe the hub needs to be raised to relieve tension on the arm or something? Just to clarify I've already loosened the nut.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Shouldn’t generally need to relieve any tension as when doing alignment it would be under the same. It sounds like it may well be bent or something when the knock took place.

It may be worth lifting it and trying to get the bolt out a little to check it.
      01-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Shouldn’t generally need to relieve any tension as when doing alignment it would be under the same. It sounds like it may well be bent or something when the knock took place.

It may be worth lifting it and trying to get the bolt out a little to check it.
Yes that's my thoughts, though I'm very intrigued to know what's bent because I had that up for almost a week and a half looking and trying to get the camber arm back into place and not once have I looked at an arm and seen any distortion. On the Wednesday just gone I was about to take it to the BMW garage up the road from me and I couldn't believe it.. I removed the axle stand and Jack and as I reversed there was a horrible noise.. at first I thought the brakes where getting stuck but I got out and the front drivers side arch was literally sitting on the wheel.. the coil spring well and truly snapped!

Took about 35 minutes to remove the strut then £40 for the spring and £20 to have the spring installed. But my gosh.. getting the strut back on was a different story, despite removing the control arms and steering rack (tie rod or track rod I believe) I could never get the clearance so the top of the strut could fit into the arch! I ended up removing the calliper, all three arms, abs sensor and I was sitting with the hub completely removed from the car.. have to admit I was wondering if I was going to get it back together but a few hours in all was back!

So back to square 1.. I popped to a garage up the road to see if they could squeeze me in for tracking but he couldn't track rear wheel or something.. he also said if it's an E90 not to waste my time on anything and replace the subframe. Though I can't see it being the subframe.. I can't see how the camber arm can be perfectly fine (I completely removed it and compared to another camber arm from the garage up the road) and also the camber arm bushing on the subframe is still fine but the subframe experience the damage.. I just can't see it being possible in my head, the initial impact should cripple the weak spots on the arms first. Time will tell but I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait until I can get it in again :/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Although all the arms may appear to be fine they could well not be and also you have to remember that when the hit happens it's the weakest points that buckle first. If the toe arm joint is the weakest point in that contact then that will be the bit that bends slightly to absorb the energy etc.
      01-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Although all the arms may appear to be fine they could well not be and also you have to remember that when the hit happens it's the weakest points that buckle first. If the toe arm joint is the weakest point in that contact then that will be the bit that bends slightly to absorb the energy etc.
Yeah you're right, well last night I managed to knock the eccentric bolt for the toe arm through a little bit and pulled it back through which got rid of some of the rust making it harder to turn and with some adjustments to the toe and camber It's back on the road after a month.. for the long term though it needs to go to Chemix to go on the hawks eye machine for a proper alignment and I'll probably buy some new arms to get everything back in order.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Yeah you're right, well last night I managed to knock the eccentric bolt for the toe arm through a little bit and pulled it back through which got rid of some of the rust making it harder to turn and with some adjustments to the toe and camber It's back on the road after a month.. for the long term though it needs to go to Chemix to go on the hawks eye machine for a proper alignment and I'll probably buy some new arms to get everything back in order.
Excellent and that's good to hear. At least she's back on the road.
      01-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Excellent and that's good to hear. At least she's back on the road.
Cheers mate, it was surreal to be back on the road after so long haha. Have to say, with looking into renewing the arms I couldn't help but stumble upon people sticking M3 parts on and saying how much better the car feels.. really thinking of going down that route!
Appreciate 0