E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Speed kills your pocketbook

09-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
tcharged
Banned
Rep
Drives: bunch of them

Speed kills your pocketbook

Great and interesting video and read!

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=8905382

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Nice video. Now that I think of it we don't have it that bad where we are....those speed limits are ridiculous. 30 mph on that open highway?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Henrik
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 Lexus GS 350 07' E92 335i

That's Canada for you, there are some people that want the limit even lower! You can't really enjoy a fast car in this part of the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
ZBoater
Gadgeteer
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 Benz SL550  [0.00]
I loved the video. Funny and conveying a very important point at the same time. I've always felt the speed limit in a lot of places is waaaay too low. Is it incompetence or a desire to maintain a revenue stream? Things that make you go hmmmmm....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Funny video..50 km/h on a highway is sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Henrik
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 Lexus GS 350 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Funny video..50 km/h on a highway is sad.
The average highway speed in Canada is 80 km/h but yes I agreed it's sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Autobahn yeaaa buddy! Zero to whatever your car van max out at.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

lol, it's possible to even get a ticket on a bicycle at 50 km/h in canada, if you're factoring just speed.
      09-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

If anyone is focusing on the 50km/h for a double divided road, then you're completely missing the whole point of the video. Even at the regular highway speed limits of 100km/h in Canada(55mph in US), that is far too slow for the 85th percentile of drivers. For safe roads and fluid traffic flow, the speed limit should actually feel fast to majority of people. It is the MAXIMUM speed you're allowed to travel, not the speed that is expected of everyone to drive. If anyone here can say that 55mph feels fast to them, then you should probably turn in your drivers license.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Of course it's Canada.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That was pretty entertaining....most of the time we follow links to youtube and feel we'll never get those minutes of our lives back!

I like one thing he said, it makes sense to stop at red lights. But I agree speed limits should not be set too low, it's like you set people up to be lawbreakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Sandman614
Accepting Donations
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E92

Garage List
2009 E92 335xi  [0.00]
I started pumping my fist in support when he said the report found crash rates fell when the speed limit went up
      09-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you for posting this video.

That street the person in the video was talking about I am very familiar with, I'm a Vancouver local. Its ridiculous how low the speed limit is set. One day I got a ticket for going 61kms. Of course since that day, I'm always aware of that stretch. Each day that I drive through that stretch I might get high beamed at, honked, or at rare times an impatient driver gets fed up behind me and pulls a ricer fly by, mind you I keep at the center or right since i'm going to be driving like a sea turtle. Trust me it happens at times. It feels like you should be going atleast 70km or 80km.

The person in the video has done his research and I have to give him props. Its a logical argument...
Not too far off that stretch is another stretch where it has a 80km limit that turns into 50km. At that time when the city finished working the pavement a few years back, they did not post a 50km sign, I assumed it was 80km, and everyone else did for atleast 3 weeks, I mean EVERYONE was going 80km. I got clocked that day for 84km, the officer said I was excessively speeding. Give me a break... I had my cousins baby in the rear seat, you think I would excessively speed?!?! About a little more then a week later, the city posted a 50km sign. Load of crock...

I have to agree with the person in the video, the government has to look at the situation. But then again, who knows, all those tickets are generating a revenue for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
Thank you for posting this video.

That street the person in the video was talking about I am very familiar with, I'm a Vancouver local. Its ridiculous how low the speed limit is set. One day I got a ticket for going 61kms. Of course since that day, I'm always aware of that stretch. Each day that I drive through that stretch I might get high beamed at, honked, or at rare times an impatient driver gets fed up behind me and pulls a ricer fly by, mind you I keep at the center or right since i'm going to be driving like a sea turtle. Trust me it happens at times. It feels like you should be going atleast 70km or 80km.

The person in the video has done his research and I have to give him props. Its a logical argument...
Not too far off that stretch is another stretch where it has a 80km limit that turns into 50km. At that time when the city finished working the pavement a few years back, they did not post a 50km sign, I assumed it was 80km, and everyone else did for atleast 3 weeks, I mean EVERYONE was going 80km. I got clocked that day for 84km, the officer said I was excessively speeding. Give me a break... I had my cousins baby in the rear seat, you think I would excessively speed?!?! About a little more then a week later, the city posted a 50km sign. Load of crock...

I have to agree with the person in the video, the government has to look at the situation. But then again, who knows, all those tickets are generating a revenue for them.
I seriously laugh my ass off when I see people like this. I judge them as inferior, impatient, lower class human beings. Sometimes I'll get luck lucky and I'll see this special class of tool get pulled over by the cops a mile down the road

I'm like you - I'll always drive with the flow of traffic in the right (slow) lane these days because I'm not particularly interested in saving 3 minutes of my day traveling 20 or 30 MPH over the speed limit on a 50 MPH road versus 5-10 MPH over the speed limit (with the flow of traffic) or 0-5 MPH over the limit if I'm isolated and driving alone. Driving is so much simpler this way. I effectively decrease my chances of receiving a speeding ticket to 0. I pass by speed traps all the time. Cops never bother me, and I don't even have a radar detector or anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1 on the video and thanks for sharing. I agree, the speed limits are way too low in BC and in some areas I guess I am guilty of speeding in my rental car At least the cop is using the lidar properly, some cops here in the Chicago area are way beyond the recommended 11 degree angle.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
tcharged
Banned
Rep
Drives: bunch of them

This video is huge all over the news! I sent an email to my representative (MPP) and to the Premier of Ontario (like your governor).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharged View Post
This video is huge all over the news! I sent an email to my representative (MPP) and to the Premier of Ontario (like your governor).
Too bad Ontario is ass backwards just about ... Everything. Knowing our government, they'll start lowering all speed limits by 20.
      09-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I do agree with what the video says, but, as a counter-argument, I'll use Texas as an example. parts of Texas freeways have a 80mph speed limit, and people still drive faster than that. It's pretty scary when you see a Dodge Ram barreling down the highway at 90mph+ passing by everyone else. The point is, if you raise the speed limit, people will just go faster. I don't think most U.S. drivers are capable of judging what speed is safe, and this can be seen in either sides of the spectrum: you have people going too damn fast in situations where it would be dangerous (fog, rain, moderately heavy traffic, etc) and people going too slow.

But I do agree that we need to raise the speed limit on most of the roads and highways, just not in school zones and residential areas. If they really want to make money on tickets, cops just need to camp out at school areas. Very seldom do I see people observe the 25mph limit when school is in session, especially in California.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
I do agree with what the video says, but, as a counter-argument, I'll use Texas as an example. parts of Texas freeways have a 80mph speed limit, and people still drive faster than that. It's pretty scary when you see a Dodge Ram barreling down the highway at 90mph+ passing by everyone else. The point is, if you raise the speed limit, people will just go faster. I don't think most U.S. drivers are capable of judging what speed is safe, and this can be seen in either sides of the spectrum: you have people going too damn fast in situations where it would be dangerous (fog, rain, moderately heavy traffic, etc) and people going too slow..

Did you actually watch the video? The video actually quotes a study done on the subject, which shows that drivers will drive whatever speed they are going to drive regardless of speed limit. Yes of course you will still have people that will go way over the limit, but the majority will just follow a comfortable speed. The small sample base that you have seen with your own eyes would pale in comparison to large study.

Ironically, Texas is one of the states used in these studies. And their accident rates are lower. But your statement really shows just how brain washed the average population actually is. It looks "scary" to you to see a vehicle travelling 90mph, but these studies are proving the exact opposite. It isn't dangerous. But it's that type of fear monger mind frame of the average population that keeps these ridiculous enforcement strategies in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
But I do agree that we need to raise the speed limit on most of the roads and highways, just not in school zones and residential areas. If they really want to make money on tickets, cops just need to camp out at school areas. Very seldom do I see people observe the 25mph limit when school is in session, especially in California.

If they want to make revenue from tickets, then all they have to do is ticket based on safety. I would support them to just jack the rate of a distracted driving ticket up to 500$ a pop. And then also charge those people with dangerous driving as well. They would be hitting 2 birds with one stone. You would be collecting lots of revenue, while simutaneously getting bad drivers off the road, or changing their behavior all together.

And while we are on the subject of revenue collection. If revenue is a real concern, then why not just raise everyones taxes 1%, and get rid of the police traffic division all together? Then you get rid of the huge overhead cost of the revenue collection.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Ya it is brutal here in BC. I think Ontario is just as bad...

If you're in BC give this a look over and send it to your MLA!!!

http://sense.bc.ca/mla/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

To all my Ontario e90 Members, check this link out

http://www.stop100.ca/

It's a movement in Ontario to increase the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Did you actually watch the video? The video actually quotes a study done on the subject, which shows that drivers will drive whatever speed they are going to drive regardless of speed limit. Yes of course you will still have people that will go way over the limit, but the majority will just follow a comfortable speed. The small sample base that you have seen with your own eyes would pale in comparison to large study.

Ironically, Texas is one of the states used in these studies. And their accident rates are lower. But your statement really shows just how brain washed the average population actually is. It looks "scary" to you to see a vehicle travelling 90mph, but these studies are proving the exact opposite. It isn't dangerous. But it's that type of fear monger mind frame of the average population that keeps these ridiculous enforcement strategies in play.

So by not agreeing fully with you makes me brainwashed?! Yes, I did watch the entire video, and yes, I did take the time to digest the information. I'm simply playing devil's advocate here, and I don't think my concerns are completely invalid. All it takes is one asshole who tries to drive like he's got something to prove, and screws up in the process to cause a pileup, and an ugly one at that, since 80mph is pretty damn fast.

If they want to make revenue from tickets, then all they have to do is ticket based on safety. I would support them to just jack the rate of a distracted driving ticket up to 500$ a pop. And then also charge those people with dangerous driving as well. They would be hitting 2 birds with one stone. You would be collecting lots of revenue, while simutaneously getting bad drivers off the road, or changing their behavior all together.

And while we are on the subject of revenue collection. If revenue is a real concern, then why not just raise everyones taxes 1%, and get rid of the police traffic division all together? Then you get rid of the huge overhead cost of the revenue collection.
You can't get rid of traffic division altogether. While you could drastically reduce speeding tickets by implementing a better speed zoning laws, you still have other violations that are legitimately dangerous to everyone else. People not slowing down for school zones, people who run red lights or stop signs, reckless driving (and there are a ton of them out there, including people who are on this board who consistently brag about drag racing others on the street). I would like to see these people heavily fined, as they're blatantly ignoring laws that could have very severe repercussions.
Appreciate 0