E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > It's going on 3 weeks now!!

01-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #45
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
how many times do i have to tell people on this forum NOT to take their car to the god-damned dealer? i hear the same story over, and over, and over again endlessly. 2 weeks to change a f*cking injector and then blame everything on your mods, are you kidding me? you know they just drove your car around for those two weeks right

people, stop going to the stealership.
You're probably right about them just driving it around for 2 weeks although I suspect it wasn't a very fun drive because once you hit the accelerator the CEL comes on and you aren't getting the power like you want it as you well know.

I succumbed to taking it to a different BMW Service Department and right out
the box they are treating me better, calling me and maintaining contact.

They will fix the problem because they are working it in the correct manner, I have a little bit of my confidence in Stealerships restored due to the way they are communicating with me and recognizing that a BMW competitor to them has done nothing for me but shine me on.

They have been off for the holidays and the weekend but tomorrow they will contact my warranty co and explain how the other BMW ripped them off and that my mods are not the cause of the problem and hopefully they will finally fix the problem.

The code they came up with is P0420 but now they have to change the #2 coil due to the misfires while the other BMW was driving it caused and then they'll address the root of that issue with the code.

Thanks for all of you who truly stick together on issues on our platforms with your worthy advice and concern, I really appreciate it and I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #46
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusPilot View Post
When you put a load on the engine you get misfires, correct?

That's when the turbo adds boost and pressurizes the intake track.

I know you said they tested for a boost leak, but I really wonder how thorough they were..

"After the plugs were installed car ran fine in idle but once load was on it and I hit the gas real hard immediately the car would sputter and then the CEL came on showing half-power to the engine."

I bet something happened during the plug change. I'd carefully disassemble everything that you'd take off the car for a plug change, like looking at any hoses removed, etc.
No we went through thoroughly checking for leaks and found none, the code P0420 (something with the Catalyst/Catalictic Converter or so) appears to be the root problem but they have to change out the coil on #2 due to all the misfires occurring that damaged the new one I had recently put in when the other BMW (which kept the car for 3 weeks) was driving it around trying to figure out what was the problem after they changed the #2 Injector and said it was the problem they messed up my coil again.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #47
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
No we went through thoroughly checking for leaks and found none, the code P0420 (something with the Catalyst/Catalictic Converter or so) appears to be the root problem but they have to change out the coil on #2 due to all the misfires occurring that damaged the new one I had recently put in when the other BMW (which kept the car for 3 weeks) was driving it around trying to figure out what was the problem after they changed the #2 Injector and said it was the problem they messed up my coil again.
Cool. But based on my experience, it could be something that was touched during the initial plug install. You could even have a cracked spark plug.

Good luck with this and keep us updated.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      01-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #48
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. But based on my experience, it could be something that was touched during the initial plug install. You could even have a cracked spark plug.

We'll look into and thanks, I will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #49
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quick update:

Car is at a different BMW Service Dept. and so far the communication has been good but when the other BMW changed my #2 Injector thinking that was the problem they drove it and damaged my #2 Coil so I had to buy a new one.

They will slap that on today and then do some other checks but I believe that until they fix what I think based on the code I got (P0420) that they will have the same issue as the last BMW with damaging the coil, getting a misfire in Cylinder #2.

The good thing is that they're not out there driving it around trying to figure it out and damaging the coil or injector.

We'll see what they say next soon, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #50
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

My frustration is reaching a maximum point with this issue, my last update was just now and they are recommending replacing all 6 of my plugs even though I bought new plugs and installed them but they said that those plugs are not BMW original plugs because they were bought from an aftermarket supplier.

It seems I'm back to square one again, and it seems they all just want to make money off of me. They asked me how long those plugs been on the car, I told them since I had it, I have 77K miles on those plugs and wasn't having any issues with them.

They told me that the #2 Cylinder was the only one having an issue but they recommended changing all the plugs due to their claim that my plugs are past their lifecycle. I told them then I gave you a box with 7 brand new plugs and I didn't realize that the other BMW took the original plugs and put them back on, all except for one new one which was in Cylinder #2.

So admittedly they said it was only the #2 cylinder having issues, so I told them put the one original plug there and see what happens, they did and they said it was running better but still not up to par and still said they need to change them all to BMW original plugs.

It sounded to me as though they just want to make money by charging you for their plugs.

Now since I've already explained to them that the code I got was a Catalytic problem they are going to go through the cycle of they will drive the car and the catalytic problem will cause them to damage the injector, then they will replace it only to have the #2 coil go bad again and then it will cause the spark plug to go bad again.

They are putting a bandaid on a gushing wound, until they fix the root of the problem first then all they'll be doing is cosmetic maintenance while claiming it needs this and it needs that.

I'm going to try and be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt but if they come back with exactly what I said then there will be some consequences and repercussions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #51
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Quote:
then there will be some consequences and repercussions.
lol
      01-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #52
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your experience was invaluable because in the end it was something with the plugs.

The plugs I bought from a store online which were Bosch Plugs for the 335i were all bad, after buying new plugs and installing them the car fired up and works just perfectly which goes along with what I said all along (it was something really simple).

Turns out that when the other BMW shop was driving my car they were shifting aggressively and with all the backfiring and whatnot somehow they were able to damage my shifter which left it unable to go into DS mode so they installed a new shifter.

Everything was covered under the warranty minus the plugs, so now my baby is back.

Thanks for all those who really cared and offered useful advice, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #53
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:
One would think that BMW would've already diagnosed this themselves after having it for 3 weeks, I hope the Mechanics are competent enough to have at least done this much, wouldn't you say so??

Either that or they are really as incompetent as I'm being lead to believe they are based on their inability to accurately assess what the real problem is.

Instead they tell me one thing and it's not that, then they tell me "we aren't getting any codes".

What the hell am I supposed to believe:

A. They're not using the proper diagnostic equipment

B. They're just that grossly incompetent

C. This is issue is that complicated that they just can't nail it down and haven't had the good sense to contact someone else in their BMW Mechanic Hierarchy to help them properly diagnose the problem, let alone fix it???

Imagine if this was happening to you, how frustrated would you be?
Since they were grossly incompetent, I'd recommend you find a Indy shop where you can build a better relationship with a mechanic. I would also recommend getting the BMW service book to gain some knowledge working on your car. Enjoy your car
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      01-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #54
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

This thread is a dumpster fire
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #55
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleturboVert View Post
This thread is a dumpster fire
Then why did you bother to put your two cents in it??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #56
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin39 View Post
I was getting those codes. I had the spark plugs changed and the codes went away. With a modded engine, you need to change the spark plugs more often.
BKBMW335I156.50