E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Need help with ERROR CODES

03-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

Need help with ERROR CODES

2011 Bmw 323i
130k km

I was driving the car with no issues at all this afternoon, stopped at a parking lot with engine still running for 5 minutes , got in the car again and noticed the warning lights . I do get all yellow lights on dash...low tire pressure, break circle with exclamation, DTC can't be turned on (roll over protection warning- yellow triangle)

CC-ID 35 – DSC Failed
CC-ID 354 – Start Assist Inactive
CC-ID 50 – Runflat Indicator Failed
CC-ID 24 – DBC Dynamic Brake Control Brake Assist Failed

Only problem is when I'm turning and activate the turn signal and complete the turn, the signal will not turn off.

Any idea what to do first?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bmwner; 03-18-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Those systems all need wheel speed information. Chances are it's a wheel speed sensor.
Appreciate 1
Donutz139.50
      03-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.B View Post
Those systems all need wheel speed information. Chances are it's a wheel speed sensor.
According to what i have read , most likely you are right, a speed sensor. Now i need to know which one and MyCarly does not give me that info.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I bought another scanner . It did read around 9 errors including R/R wheel ABS speed sensor error . I reseted the errors , scanned again but the wheel sensor was not there anymore.

I bought brand new battery and replaced the R/R wheel ABS speed sensor , reseted error codes once more , "calibrated the steering wheel sensor " but i still have the DTC and "yellow Brake light ) on .

These are the errors that i still have.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bmwner; 04-17-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Chances are and i will bet my life on this that you need a new wheel bearings. It could be the abs sensor but most likely its the magnets on the wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Chances are and i will bet my life on this that you need a new wheel bearings. It could be the abs sensor but most likely its the magnets on the wheel bearing.
We checked the r/r "ABS ring" and it is in perfect condition.

How can i determinate which of the 4 wheel bearings need to be replaced if the scanner shows no ABS errors now ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Ok good point. So what i would do is use ISTA then do a service function suggestion based on the codes. It will tell you what to check and might tell you more information. ISTA is what dealers use.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

if you would have a problem with wheel bearing you would know that by the noise that bearing is making. I started to notice noise and reported to BMW as a bearing issue but they insisted it is my differential. Not believing them took it to the independent mechanic and after one min test drive and hosting the vehicle he right the way pinned my issue to the wheel bearing and the sensor that was pretty much destroyed by the bearing. Before the sensor died I had lights, flat tire monitoring, traction control and ABS, sorry no codes as my ODBII tool scanner died
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Today I did nothing to fix my problems, but noticed that there were no warning lights on dashboard. Cruise control works and turn signal turns off after completes the turn.

I wonder if anyone does have any clue of why this happened ... ROM memory update?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bmwner; 04-18-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #10
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I've found it can sometimes take a few driving cycles for certain warnings to go away even after they've been reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Warning Lights came back last night .....

I was driving on a 90km Hwy when I noticed the lights on the dashboard. Now , they go on and off randomly....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwner View Post
Warning Lights came back last night .....

I was driving on a 90km Hwy when I noticed the lights on the dashboard. Now , they go on and off randomly....
to be honest with you your original post was same as my issue but i did have some noise already which i knew is a bearing. Your last picture did not show any errors so not sure what are you complaining about . I ignored my noise but then my traction control started to kick in on the dry road which i knew is weard, turned it off but then the computer decided all traction and flat tire and ABS should be permanently off, at this point i was 100% sure my bearing was totally destroyed, confirmed that by the mechanic and cost of replacing the bearing was quoted and i also knew sensor will be needed yesterday i received my ABS sensor and today I was back on the road kicking some ASS with my coworkers no errors
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
to be honest with you your original post was same as my issue but i did have some noise already which i knew is a bearing. Your last picture did not show any errors so not sure what are you complaining about . I ignored my noise but then my traction control started to kick in on the dry road which i knew is weard, turned it off but then the computer decided all traction and flat tire and ABS should be permanently off, at this point i was 100% sure my bearing was totally destroyed, confirmed that by the mechanic and cost of replacing the bearing was quoted and i also knew sensor will be needed yesterday i received my ABS sensor and today I was back on the road kicking some ASS with my coworkers no errors
"Your last picture did not show any errors so not sure what are you complaining about " .... I replaced a wheel speed sensor, tried to reset the errors but nothing happened , there were still there. After 24hrs they dissapeared ( i did nothing ), and after another 24 hrs , the lights came back. Now the warning lights are coming on and off randomly (this is my complaint) .
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
"Your last picture did not show any errors so not sure what are you complaining about " .... I replaced a wheel speed sensor, tried to reset the errors but nothing happened , there were still there. After 24hrs they dissapeared ( i did nothing ), and after another 24 hrs , the lights came back. Now the warning lights are coming on and off randomly (this is my complaint) .
hey, sorry, i didn't realize your errors come on and off initially the first picture was like my case but i did have some noise from the bearing and then sensor went bad, after replacing bearing and the sensor I am good to go but again I had some mechanical issue, you on the other hand seams like some electronics are playing with you and not in a nice way . I do have one question, you said you did replace the sensor, how did you know which one you have to replace?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hey, sorry, i didn't realize your errors come on and off initially the first picture was like my case but i did have some noise from the bearing and then sensor went bad, after replacing bearing and the sensor I am good to go but again I had some mechanical issue, you on the other hand seams like some electronics are playing with you and not in a nice way . I do have one question, you said you did replace the sensor, how did you know which one you have to replace?
I scanned it with Mycarly but it did not show any ABS errors, so i bought another a scanner and it showed r/r wheel speed speed malfuction , i deleted the errors and scanned again, but i did not get that error .
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I scanned it with Mycarly but it did not show any ABS errors, so i bought another a scanner and it showed r/r wheel speed speed malfuction , i deleted the errors and scanned again, but i did not get that error .
when you replaced R/R sensor did it look like it is damaged? I am thinking if the sensor looked ok maybe it is bearing after all, my bearing went bad and damaged the sensor and it was melted badly from the heat but the bearing almost split in half. Mechanic saved it to show me and it looked bad, he was surprised. In your case maybe it is the magnetic part of the bearing that is fucked up and not bearing per say to make noise, but again, the second scan of your errors is weird. Only if we had the access to codes and the description. Honestly dealer would be my last option as my experience with them is not so good (i told them from the beginning it is my bearing and they insisted it is the differential but at that time there was no codes yet) but since you have codes just go for the quote and see what they will say.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #17
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
when you replaced R/R sensor did it look like it is damaged? I am thinking if the sensor looked ok maybe it is bearing after all, my bearing went bad and damaged the sensor and it was melted badly from the heat but the bearing almost split in half. Mechanic saved it to show me and it looked bad, he was surprised. In your case maybe it is the magnetic part of the bearing that is fucked up and not bearing per say to make noise, but again, the second scan of your errors is weird. Only if we had the access to codes and the description. Honestly dealer would be my last option as my experience with them is not so good (i told them from the beginning it is my bearing and they insisted it is the differential but at that time there was no codes yet) but since you have codes just go for the quote and see what they will say.
*when you replaced R/R sensor did it look like it is damaged?..../// it did not look bad , but for sure it was rubbing the ring or at some point , there was something attached to the ring ( ring looked ok).
*Only if we had the access to codes and the description.../// Ill try with a third scanner .
*Honestly dealer would be my last option as my experience with them is not so good.../// I had a bad experience with a dealership too, they wanted $1k to fix a problem and charged me $150 for the job (lets call it "bad diagnostic" ) , I took my car home , searched on internet, found the problem, bought the part ($35) , installed in 1 minute , problem solved .

Last edited by Bmwner; 04-21-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
*when you replaced R/R sensor did it look like it is damaged?..../// it did not look bad , but for sure it was rubbing the ring or at some point , there was something attached to the ring ( ring looked ok).
*Only if we had the access to codes and the description.../// Ill try with a third scanner .
*Honestly dealer would be my last option as my experience with them is not so good.../// I had a bad experience with a dealership too, they wanted $1k to fix a problem and charged me $150 for the job (lets call it "bad diagnostic" ) , I took my car home , searched on internet, found the problem, bought the part ($35) , installed in 1 minute , problem solved .
Well my ABS sensor was busted for sure, I hope the attachment will work so you can see how it melted down at the end. But again, I did have a bearing issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #19
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I've replaced a wheel speed sensor on a couple cars where the sensor looked perfectly fine, but was causing intermittent errors.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well my ABS sensor was busted for sure, I hope the attachment will work so you can see how it melted down at the end. But again, I did have a bearing issue.
I see, yours was destroyed ... mine was in decent condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.B View Post
I've replaced a wheel speed sensor on a couple cars where the sensor looked perfectly fine, but was causing intermittent errors.
I replaced r/r speed sensor , but there is still the same " r/r intermittent error " along many more .
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #22
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
I'm not sure this will help you, but you can calibrate your turning your wheels all the way to the right and then all the way to the left with the car running.

Worked for me after lights popped up after my I left my lights on and drained my battery really low. Now that it's charge, seat belt and air back remain on. At least the steering one is gone.
Appreciate 0