E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > TV retrofitting.. possible? + got car back

08-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

TV retrofitting.. possible? + got car back

I was waiting for the misses the other night in the car for ages, and I thought gosh perhaps the TV option (includes freeview i believe) would have been a good option to go for... but at 700 quid it put me off

I had done a lot of "ing" with no joy - can it be retrofitted? I suppose anything can be, but at what price if it was 700 from factory it might be £1,000s post build.

BTW I do have pro nav, so I had the screen which is a start, actually forgot to look at realoem.com - will take a peek!

got my car back the other week after respray (horizontal sufaces - roof and boot, due to storage damage AKA bird shite)- it does look great - but i'm no expert! apparantly as it was done to BMW standards at a bmw workshop in brooklands therefore it will be covered by the paint warranty (so if it goes wrong in a few years I will be covered) dealer also said that often the finish is better than factory as its done by hand and less orange peel effect.

only had car for like 6 weeks and there is a new reg on the horizon i'm not usually a plate snob but it will bug me

rear vent grill is still "poping" and cracking with the hot days and cold mornings, even though it had felt applied, according to the dealer it is a known issue and is a TSB? gonna give it back to get more felt and dampaning applied.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
what vent is this mate making a noise?

i would be interested in tv also, have sat nav screen too blah de blah!

surely it can be done cheaply somehow!!! just an arial aint it?

Carlos
      08-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

You can buy the retro fit kit from a guy on Ebay.de for about £700 (I got prof Nav+ tv retro parts from him 2 yrs back for my old E46)
If your interested PM me and I`ll try and dig out the link.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
what vent is this mate making a noise?

i would be interested in tv also, have sat nav screen too blah de blah!

surely it can be done cheaply somehow!!! just an arial aint it?

Carlos
hi carl - its quite a common issue on e90/e92's, not sure why it hasnt been fixed at factory TBH, perhaps this sep it will be.

the grill is this one (number 5 -the vent grill with the little red circle - its these six prongs that make the noise i think)

i made a post re: it here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=rear+vent

the dealer had the car back - its got better but needs more felt imo. although knowing me i've probably got it all wrong and the poping is coming from somewhere else!

re: TV i think there is a decoder box too, something that will obtain signal and encode.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #5
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
You can buy the retro fit kit from a guy on Ebay.de for about £700 (I got prof Nav+ tv retro parts from him 2 yrs back for my old E46)
If your interested PM me and I`ll try and dig out the link.
thanks mate, i have done a far bit of searching and i can find retrofit guides etc for e46's but not e90/2, would it be the same module (i believe the e46 was fitted in the boot area)

wonder if i-drive would need updating for TV? if so it may be prudent to source the parts myself and get the stealer to fit.

and could the shark fin not be used for aerial purposes?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
thanks mate, i have done a far bit of searching and i can find retrofit guides etc for e46's but not e90/2, would it be the same module (i believe the e46 was fitted in the boot area)

wonder if i-drive would need updating for TV? if so it may be prudent to source the parts myself and get the stealer to fit.

and could the shark fin not be used for aerial purposes?

cheers
No the aerial is fitted inside the rear bumper, a plate on the left edge and one at the right edge, getting dealer to fit will be a laugh a minute. I rekon they`ll quote labour at somewhere between 6-10 hrs.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
No the aerial is fitted inside the rear bumper, a plate on the left edge and one at the right edge, getting dealer to fit will be a laugh a minute. I rekon they`ll quote labour at somewhere between 6-10 hrs.
wow that would be pricey, i presume dealers would charge 50-100 quid an hour!

i still wouldn't trust my skillset, and would want someone competant to install for me.. maybe someone from this forum i would of course pay

how long did it take for you to do it on your e46 mike?
Appreciate 0