E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2006 BMW 3-series (E90) - Aftermarket headunit possible?

01-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

Question 2006 BMW 3-series (E90) - Aftermarket headunit possible?

I was hoping someone could help me with this . . . For the new '06 325/330 (E90), it seems as though the stock HU is also used to control and display a few things from the onboard computer - like mileage stuff. Yet, I'm sure people have swapped it out for an aftermarket HU. So I was wondering:

1) Will it screw things up if we remove the stock HU? (i.e. will things stop working or a check engine light come on?

2) There's no DIN cutout in the faceplate around the HU - does anyone know where to get a plastic dash trim w/DIN cutout that is built for this car? The dash looks different from the older E46, so I'm not sure the old ones will work.

THanks a lot! And Happy New Year.

ThyroidAblation
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It might be possible, but I think you would sacrifice some functionality and convinience if you replaced it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

At first, I thought you were referring to a heads up display since there is no ,,head unit`` in an E90.

If you are referring to the MID, it displays the radio as well as other things in the car. Read your manual for details.

Not sure why youl would you would expect a DIN cutout. Usually DIN cutouts are for car radios.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
At first, I thought you were referring to a heads up display since there is no ,,head unit`` in an E90.

If you are referring to the MID, it displays the radio as well as other things in the car. Read your manual for details.

Not sure why youl would you would expect a DIN cutout. Usually DIN cutouts are for car radios.
Okay, more specifically, I'm referring to the radio. I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket headunit that fits in a standard DIN opening. It's possile to do on the E46, but you need the plastic dash cutout to cover the "extra space" around the DIN opening. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Ex's335
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 civic,

If you shop around for a good install shop you can probaly get them to make a custom piece for the radio. I know CarToys in Colorado did alot of that especially when the new cars started coming out with ac and radio behind the same face piece. Just my 2 cents.
06 BMW 325i SP,Xenon,Beige, Assist, Nav, Heated Seats, PDC, Logic 7,retired Black 07 BMW 335i coupe with Coral Red leather, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, CW Pkg, NAV, Steptronic with Paddle Shifters, Comfort Access, IPOD Retro-fit, Alarm, M-kit, M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
I've heard that the radio unit is an integral part to the bluetooth pairing, bmw assist calls, and park distance control. Just a warning :-)

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

you will DEFINITELY loose LOTS of features. what exactly are you trying to accomplish? maybe someone here could give you a better alternative to what you are trying to accomplish. for example if you want better bass, if you want to add a cd changer, if you want ipod controls, if you wanna be able to watch dvds. those are things that an aftermarket unit could do, but there might be better ways to accomplish it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
you will DEFINITELY loose LOTS of features. what exactly are you trying to accomplish? maybe someone here could give you a better alternative to what you are trying to accomplish. for example if you want better bass, if you want to add a cd changer, if you want ipod controls, if you wanna be able to watch dvds. those are things that an aftermarket unit could do, but there might be better ways to accomplish it.
Well, the car I'm ordering won't have iDrive, BMW assist, or navigation. What I'm really trying to do is put a car computer ("carputer") in, which requires me to mount a 7" LCD touchscreen somewhere. I can use one of those screens that folds out from a DIN opening, or I can mount a free-standing screen somewhere. In the E46, people could purchase an aftermarket bezel for that 7" touchscreen, take out the factory HU, and move the A/C controls. But on the E90, that bezel with a cutout for a screen is not widely available (requires customwork).

The carputer would have:
GPS and nav, displayed on screen
mp3, with album covers displayed on screen
internet browsing, via a bluetooth dongle to a cell phone
live traffic reports, via internet connection
DVD playback
restaurant guide, 411 services, etc. (via internet connection)
custom/personalized logos
(and i wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee)

All of the above is really easy to implement. The PROBLEM is finding a place to mount the touchscreen and run cables in concealed fashion. The second problem (which I'll encounter later), is how to install aftermarket speakers (I will run my own amp and bypass the existing BMW system/wiring/HU).

Also, assuming I don't have iDrive or BMW assist, what features am I really losing if I decide to just take out the HU altogether?

Okay, so anybody with ideas? Thanks!

SmellyGAs
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

You can mount an aftermarket unit. There actually even is a kit from BMW (at least in Europe). But you might loose PDC, Bluetooth and Assist if you have any of those. An don´t even try it if you´ve got Logic 7 unless you´re also prepared to change all speakers and amps.

This is how the mounting bracket from BMW looks:
Attached Images

01-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
cdheaven
Rep

ooooo. get the part number for the dash WITH the navagation, and buy that, but DONT buy the navigation. retrofit that piece of dash instead of yours, and you will have a beautiful, stock looking, 7" widescreen whole where you can mount an aftermarket unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
ooooo. get the part number for the dash WITH the navagation, and buy that, but DONT buy the navigation. retrofit that piece of dash instead of yours, and you will have a beautiful, stock looking, 7" widescreen whole where you can mount an aftermarket unit.
Good idea. I thought about that for my car too.

BUT:

The new dash is about 400$ (not too bad)

It´ll take about two full days to take out the old and put in the new dash. And it´ll probably rattle afterwards if you´re not ultra-carefull. And good luck if you ever have any warranty issues. The dealer will probably never touch your car again once you´ve done that kind of conversion. And good luck in ever selling the car unless you change back to the original dash before the sale ("huh, where´s the i-drive?")
      01-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
cdheaven
Rep

teir,you raise a few good points, but i sorta disagree.
1. 400 bucks is not bad AT ALL for a custom dash type instal. i paid 600 bucks to have a fiberglass dash built in my last car.
2. time and rattles shouldnt be an issue. it would probably take more then 2 days to make it perfect. but for a job like this, it really isnt bad. and i cant imagine too many rattles cause it should just bolt right in.
3. warranty issues should not come out of this, if a rock hits your radiator and your engine overheats, bmw isnt gonna say "obvioulsy this factory dash that you happened to install forced the rock up there" or anyting like that. the only warranty issues that might arise is if you blow fuses or if you instal that, and then the stock radio doesnt work somethign that obviously was the installers fault.
4. selling might be a problem. but anyone that mods there car knows about the risk when they are ready to resell. either they put the car back to stock. or they sell with the parts and take a little bit of a financial loss.
i think this is a GREAT idea for anyone that wants an aftermarket type unit and doesnt want the factory navigation
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
teir,you raise a few good points, but i sorta disagree.
1. 400 bucks is not bad AT ALL for a custom dash type instal. i paid 600 bucks to have a fiberglass dash built in my last car.
2. time and rattles shouldnt be an issue. it would probably take more then 2 days to make it perfect. but for a job like this, it really isnt bad. and i cant imagine too many rattles cause it should just bolt right in.
3. warranty issues should not come out of this, if a rock hits your radiator and your engine overheats, bmw isnt gonna say "obvioulsy this factory dash that you happened to install forced the rock up there" or anyting like that. the only warranty issues that might arise is if you blow fuses or if you instal that, and then the stock radio doesnt work somethign that obviously was the installers fault.
4. selling might be a problem. but anyone that mods there car knows about the risk when they are ready to resell. either they put the car back to stock. or they sell with the parts and take a little bit of a financial loss.
i think this is a GREAT idea for anyone that wants an aftermarket type unit and doesnt want the factory navigation
Your right ! Everybody go for it !
      01-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
cdheaven
Rep

haha. noooo. not everyone. just one person. a person with a little bit more time and more money then me! and then post pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yes...lots of time and money to do this change but I'd be interested to see the results. Good luck!
      01-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
You can mount an aftermarket unit. There actually even is a kit from BMW (at least in Europe). But you might loose PDC, Bluetooth and Assist if you have any of those. An don´t even try it if you´ve got Logic 7 unless you´re also prepared to change all speakers and amps.

This is how the mounting bracket from BMW looks:
OH SWEEET!! THat's EXACTLy what I want. Where do I get that part from if I live in the U.S.?

SmellyGAs
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #17
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I considered this too! I found that part for like $672 on realoem.com, and i would have absolutely NO IDEA how to dismantle my entire dash and mount the new one one. Plus, the the cutouts for the climate control and radio module are different, so those would have to be mucked around with too. I don't think it will fly.

One alternative I thought of was to use the closest drink holder and use it to mount a screen and run wires through - but that places the monitor off-center and it looks slightly odd.

Probably what I'll do is just fork over the dough for the nav system and have the carputer (mainly for mp3 function) touchscreen mounted on top of the drink holder...

The other alternative is to remove the factory HU and use that european trim piece that someone mentioned to mount an in-dash touchscreen.

THANK YOU to everyone who has helped so far...

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellygas
Probably what I'll do is just fork over the dough for the nav system and have the carputer (mainly for mp3 function) touchscreen mounted on top of the drink holder...
Seriously, that dashboard looks like a monster of an installation...no way I'd do all that work just for some extra enhancements. BTW, you do know that the stock Nav system can play Mp3s, right?
      01-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
batha
Rep
Drives: Graphite E90

I maybe mistaken, but my understanding from some research is that the US e90 even with the professional system uses a fiber optic bus system. So as Tierfreund stated you would have to in esence replace your entire system.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 01:28 AM   #20
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batha
I maybe mistaken, but my understanding from some research is that the US e90 even with the professional system uses a fiber optic bus system. So as Tierfreund stated you would have to in esence replace your entire system.
I think that is correct. I know the bluetooth sector of the system uses fiber optics to communicate with the unit in the trunk.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
r6er00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Black Sapphire

hey guys!! i've been going through the same problem. i already have a dash kit. go to www.installer.com, in the upper left corner of the screen, put in 2006 BMW, and it will bring up the different series'. the only things they offer is the dash kit and antenna adapter.

my question is this:

i don't have I-drive, nav, bluetooth, or PDC. i got the car with the basic radio and functions knowing i was going to put my Alpine system in. in one of the DYI posts, someone shows the back of the radio. looks identical to the E46. will an E46 wiring harness work?

also, it appears that there are just the normal analog wires going into the back of the factory radio. if that's the case, then connecting analog wires to them should work, right?? i keep hearing about digital fiber optic cables, but if they aren't connected into the stock head unit, why would replacing the headunit be a problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #22
chopperstyle
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

This is my solution

Installed In Dash Navigation and Aftermarket Bluetooth.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...021#post451021
Appreciate 0