E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clutch burnt out...CPO with only 28,000..help please

11-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Boy Blue
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Montego Blue Coupe

Clutch burnt out...CPO with only 28,000..help please

I bought a CPO 335i with about 23,800 miles on it and right now I have around 28,300 on it. Two days ago my car was driving fine with no problems and then I attempted to drive it yesterday and it wouldn't even go in gear. I don't do burnouts and I am not hard on the clutch at all. I just got quoted $3100 to fix the clutch a few minutes ago and I wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems with their CPO 335i's at all???? I guess the clutch is completely burnt out and I am not trying to pay that money to fix a clutch that I haven't abused....I am trying to get a copy of the CPO that the dealer did because even after 28,000 a clutch shouldn't go out unless it has been abused a lot and with me only owning the car for 5,000 after it was Certified I wouldn't imagine the clutch would be burnt out....any help, thoughts, or input would be nice on what I should do. (Obviously if all else fails I am going to have to pay the $3100)
      11-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

that sucks. The place that you bought it at should still cover it under warranty. How long have you had the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Boy Blue
Rep

I have only had the car for less than 5,000 miles...its at the same dealer I bought it from but a different location right now, I told them it wasn't acceptable to pay to fix that since I have had the car less than 5,000 miles after they certified it. Waiting on a return call from the SA right now
      11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Boy Blue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
that sucks. The place that you bought it at should still cover it under warranty. How long have you had the car?
Sorry didn't answer your question, I bought it at the end of March and have only driven it for about 3 months since then since its my second vehicle and not my daily driver
      11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

That's a tough one. Since so few cars are manual anymore, I've never seen the clutch specified as an item that would be covered or not. Since a properly maintained clutch would likely last for double or even triple your miles, the dealer is probably going to consider it a wear item like brakes. No CPO process is going to detect a potential clutch issue down the road. If it operates properly there would never be a reason to drop the transmission to check it.

A couple things - I'm not sure where your $3,100 comes from-the dealer? Parts would almost certainly be well under $1000 so it seems to me $2000+ for labor is hard to imagine. "Burned Out" is a pretty vague description of what's wrong. You can have a clutch whose engagement degrades, a clutch that slips like crazy, etc but operating perfect one day then it won't go into gear the next is not normal. The clutch isn't a mechanically complex device. I'd check master and slave cylinders, fluids, etc. first and take it for an 2nd opinion. If your dealer isn't going to give you any breaks or work with you I would have someone else look at it.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

How can a "burned out" clutch prevent you from engaging 1st gear? If the throw-out bearing went, I can understand that, but it's normally a gradual thing and should never happen at 28k miles. If the clutch plates were totally worn, then it should go into gear, but excessive slippage would prevent the car from moving rapidly - if at all.

Did you try engaging 1st with the engine off and then starting the engine? If so, what happened?

What, exactly, did the dealer say is wrong with the clutch, and why isn't it being repaired under warranty?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Yeah - Maybe throwout bearing locking up, shift linkage is tossed, or your hydraulics aren't disengaging the clutch... Try it with engine off. Can you put it into any other gear when the car is running?
      11-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

BMW covered my clutch under warranty as a "wear and tear" item. The shop foreman told me its common for these clutches to go out with < 50k miles. He also mentioned to take out the CDV which I did and it helps out a lot. They won't cover a clutch if it has been abused. The problem you are seeing is not with the clutch disc, but seems like the linkage came loose or is not alligned properly. It could also be the TOB as people stated or something with the pressure plate, slave cylinder, or even worn synchros, all of which would be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93WhiteonRed View Post
Yeah - Maybe throwout bearing locking up, shift linkage is tossed, or your hydraulics aren't disengaging the clutch... Try it with engine off. Can you put it into any other gear when the car is running?
This sounds like the shift linkage is messed up. I had this happen in my e46 330ci. If you cant get the car into gear its def. the linkage. But if its slipping as well I believe its a combo of the linkage and the clutch going. If the clutch were still in good shape it wouldnt slip just because of the linkage, if anything it would just randomly pop out of gear.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Boy Blue
Rep

The dealer just told me that the clutch is burnt out but couldn't exactly tell me what was wrong since they didn't drop the tranny just took off the inspection plate...the clutch smelled like it was burnt so they said it was abuse or it possibly could be because the clutch was slipping....so basically they couldn't tell me what exactly is wrong with it other than its burnt and wear and tear isn't covered by warranty even though I brought up the fact that the clutch disc is covered by the maintenance program.
      11-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
D335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07, 6SPD, WHITE, RED INTR

$3100 for a clutch job even by BMW standards is out of control, times must be hard at BMW. I heard they got ripped off $4mil by employees, passing on the cost to us now, maybe the employees can hook you up with a clutch.

If they wont cover it, take your business somewhere else.

Good luck.
      11-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

I would start looking for a new dealer cuz that's bs right there dude!
Appreciate 0