E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i too slow. I'm not sure!!!

11-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #67
Paz
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 320i

I have got a 320i, it’s not the fastest car in the world. Well coming from a mk4 golf tdi 1.9 this thing is a dream. I worked and saved hard for it. This was the only car that I could get insurance in @23.. Am 24 now so got plenty of time to work up to a 335i or m3, need to wait until am over 25 and build my no claims before I can really think about 335i or m3.

I have been at lights, where 335’s - 325 owners start giving me looks of disappointment and one-upmanship.... (not all btw) never understood this... as it’s always from guys that are 40+ years of age .... I just smile and give them a thumbs up! and be on my merry way...

I have had the 320i for a year now, got to admit I have grown attached to her. Keeping her for one more year and then I have to move on. All in all its a good car, minus the coil problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #68
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

My first BMW was an auto 320i E90. It went quite well in steptronic as long as the revs were kept high. It always seemed to have plenty of go when doing about 90+ on the autobahn!
I am sure a manual gearbox would be much better.
It alwas seemed a bit slow when accelerating at low rpm.
Best to keep away from an auto 320i.
Whereas , an auto 320d is a very diff kettle of fish. It goes very well indeed at low to mid rpm but perhaps looses a bit of puff at highish rpm, the opposite of a petrol engine.
I much like the 320d as a good alround motor, particularly the F30!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #69
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I've only ever bought 'the hot model' of the cars I've owned and honestly it's become a pain. No longer am I satisfied with anything the other side (below) of 300bhp. This make replacing the car more expensive not only to buy but to maintain and sometimes I just wish I could be happy with something that looks pretty but doesn't go (as well as).

For example, my first car was a 106GTi, got bored and tweaked it to group N rally spec (LOUD!). My second car was a Civic VTi which I stepped into as it was the next logical step up in NA performance, got bored and Integra Type R engined it. The third car was again a step up in a bid to beat the last one so I bought a Leon Cupra R at the time they were still fresh, got bored and ramped it up to 300bhp. Fourth car was a 335i, slower than the Leon was (but not by too much) so got bored easily and ramped it up to 380bhp. Now, fifth car and still in love with the N54 I opted for something smaller and nimbler which is my 135i, ramped it up to 380bhp and it's a touch quicker than the last one. So...plans are either to hop back into a 335i and Stage 2+ it or Stage 2+ this one but where after that? 997T by the looks of it, where does it end?!

It's a shame I can't break this cycle, I've seem some absolutely beautiful looking LCI white 320i M-Sports about.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #70
Geo's comps
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d Msport + coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paz View Post
I have got a 320i, it’s not the fastest car in the world. Well coming from a mk4 golf tdi 1.9 this thing is a dream. I worked and saved hard for it. This was the only car that I could get insurance in @23.. Am 24 now so got plenty of time to work up to a 335i or m3, need to wait until am over 25 and build my no claims before I can really think about 335i or m3.

I have been at lights, where 335’s - 325 owners start giving me looks of disappointment and one-upmanship.... (not all btw) never understood this... as it’s always from guys that are 40+ years of age .... I just smile and give them a thumbs up! and be on my merry way...

I have had the 320i for a year now, got to admit I have grown attached to her. Keeping her for one more year and then I have to move on. All in all its a good car, minus the coil problems.

I'm 21 and I feel at times my car is underpowered, and then when I'm on the motorway cruising I put my foot down and it actually goes quit well so right now I'm quite pleased with my car. I know I will be moving to more powerful BMWs one day after all I made progress on my previous car which was a compact 1.8l BMW when I was 18
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #71
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Tell me about it!

The further you go with each car the more it costs to replace it.

Best to keep the car for a long time and change once engine tech has moved forward in the next generation!