E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas Turbo Stage 2 / 3 update

12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #45
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Extremely doubtful it will fit an XI or RHD. Its a squeeze to fit as is. Also you should not have to remove engine to install. We suggest subframe removal for ANY turbocharger swap, stock, upgraded, anything. The job can not really be done properly leaving it in place let alone someone trying to do it their driveway. For this kit it will need to be installed by a qualified technician. This is not a project you want to do in your garage or driveway. With that said we are taking every effort to make sure it installs as easy as possible.
No interest in doing it myself.

Willing to take some measurements?
      12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #46
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

That's all nice to know, but there are AWD people who will definitely need to know when you are sure one way or the other about Stage 3 fitment. And if it won't fit I'd love to know exactly why in order to know for certain whether it will be necessary to go with a single to get 65+lb/min.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #47
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
That's all nice to know, but there are AWD people who will definitely need to know when you are sure one way or the other about Stage 3 fitment. And if it won't fit I'd love to know exactly why in order to know for certain whether it will be necessary to go with a single to get 65+lb/min.
Until someone wants to bring us an Xi to test fit it on we prob will not know. They are a much smaller market than non Xi versions so it doesn't make sense for us at this point to engineer the kit twice to fit both. For now it is safe to say it prob will not fit as it BARELY fits with no transfer case or driveshafts to think about.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #48
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Extremely doubtful it will fit an XI or RHD. Its a squeeze to fit as is. Also you should not have to remove engine to install. We suggest subframe removal for ANY turbocharger swap, stock, upgraded, anything. The job can not really be done properly leaving it in place let alone someone trying to do it their driveway. For this kit it will need to be installed by a qualified technician. This is not a project you want to do in your garage or driveway. With that said we are taking every effort to make sure it installs as easy as possible.
I did my RB install in my driveway with subframe dropped about 1" wasn't to bad....but wasnt the easiest lo!!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #49
Cromartie84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 6mt 335

Is this a full time project or is this being worked on as time permits? Very interested in 2 or 3. My seals are leaking now.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #50
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
I don't really get your question? Any off the shelf tune available now obviously won't take full advantage. The added tuning benefits of this kit will be all four O2's post turbo and factory vacuum actuated wastegates, all keeping the DME happy. Any good tuner will have no problems extracting power without jumping through hoops. It looks like we will be working with PTF to offer a tune with the kit.
We look forward to it. Looks like we'll have to pick up a few kits for our shop cars and local customers to make sure we have enough street time to promise the performance this masterpiece deserves!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #51
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
We look forward to it. Looks like we'll have to pick up a few kits for our shop cars and local customers to make sure we have enough street time to promise the performance this masterpiece deserves!
What tune does PTF use?
      12-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
Until someone wants to bring us an Xi to test fit it on we prob will not know. They are a much smaller market than non Xi versions so it doesn't make sense for us at this point to engineer the kit twice to fit both. For now it is safe to say it prob will not fit as it BARELY fits with no transfer case or driveshafts to think about.
The XI crowd, unloved since 2006. We understand though.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #53
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrink24 View Post
The XI crowd, unloved since 2006. We understand though.
Not unloved at all. If I personally buy a N54 it will prob be an Xi. Just not enough of you guys to make it worth building 2 kits. If the changes are small and only involved DP's or something. Then we would be in business. Would need a car to find that out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #54
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

drfrink, just get some stage 2's like i'm doing. Tony if i were local I'd be giving you my car for the stage 3's
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #55
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
What tune does PTF use?
Cobb. The use the pro version software to tune to achieve maximum performance VS off the shelf mapping.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #56
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Cobb. The use the pro version software to tune to achieve maximum performance VS off the shelf mapping.
Thanks!
      12-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #57
cageyvet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

I applaud you guys for doing something different but if you're going to go through all the trouble of making a turbo kit, ditch the twin setup and make a nice T4 ts manifold even if that means relocating a few things and not to nitpick but y are using MS.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #58
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageyvet View Post
I applaud you guys for doing something different but if you're going to go through all the trouble of making a turbo kit, ditch the twin setup and make a nice T4 ts manifold even if that means relocating a few things and not to nitpick but y are using MS.
Not sure where you are seeing any mild steel, and yes you are nitpicking. Gotta love when you announce you are going to build something and people come out of the woodwork saying its not possible, it wont fit, not even close, etc, etc then you build it and people come out of the woodwork nitpicking every detail, like people who cant tell the difference between SS and MS. TS T4 flange is being done if you have been following the N54 world at all. Thanks for the input though, and I'll say it again because it seems people seem to forget, this is a pre production prototype, liberties are being taken in the name of getting a runnable kit for testing that will not be in the final kit. My best bet is just to stop posting any photos or updates til I get a production ready kit to keep all the armchair quarterbacks at bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #59
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Not sure where you are seeing any mild steel, and yes you are nitpicking. Gotta love when you announce you are going to build something and people come out of the woodwork saying its not possible, it wont fit, not even close, etc, etc then you build it and people come out of the woodwork nitpicking every detail, like people who cant tell the difference between SS and MS. TS T4 flange is being done if you have been following the N54 world at all. Thanks for the input though, and I'll say it again because it seems people seem to forget, this is a pre production prototype, liberties are being taken in the name of getting a runnable kit for testing that will not be in the final kit. My best bet is just to stop posting any photos or updates til I get a production ready kit to keep all the armchair quarterbacks at bay.
dont I that man, your efforts are appreciate...hell I have RB's and follow your threads religiously....of course most no not every weld is perfect yet yiu are till fitting everything testing it....your product looks great man. Don't let a few effect the many that follow your thread.

Still want that rear induction tube bracket!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #60
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Extremely doubtful it will fit an XI or RHD. Its a squeeze to fit as is. Also you should not have to remove engine to install.
Is a RHD kit on your radar for international markets and sales?

Just need to know what your strategy is there, or if the RB turbo upgrades will be the only option for us in Australia and other European countries.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #61
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Is a RHD kit on your radar for international markets and sales?

Just need to know what your strategy is there, or if the RB turbo upgrades will be the only option for us in Australia and other European countries.
Talking to a few people with Xi, I think this kit WILL fit XI models. It will NOT fit RHD models. But our stage 2 turbos will fit all RHD models. We are producing RHD Stage 2's to ship as well. We also have some stock frame turbos that would fit RHD cars in the works that could knock the platform on its ear. But those are not being announced until they are fully tested. Big things for 2013 and the N54.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 12-28-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #62
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

XI subframe and mounts are slightly different due to the transfer case and axles. Pending placement on the DP's and other oddities in the kit, it MAY fit the XI, but would more than likely require different DP's and anything else low hanging on the kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #63
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbolexis
XI subframe and mounts are slightly different due to the transfer case and axles. Pending placement on the DP's and other oddities in the kit, it MAY fit the XI, but would more than likely require different DP's and anything else low hanging on the kit.
Why we think if should fit is we ran our front DP over the mount instead of under which I am told should provide clearance for the xi's
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #64
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
XI fitment is just a downpipe difference, worst cause you guys can do the 2.5" transition a little early to save room

Looking good! Keep it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #65
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
God I'm getting soooooo jelly at the moment...

You will be getting an email from me tomorrow Tony!!!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #66
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Talking to a few people with Xi, I think this kit WILL fit XI models. It will NOT fit RHD models. But our stage 2 turbos will fit all RHD models. We are producing RHD Stage 2's to ship as well. We also have some stock frame turbos that would fit RHD cars in the works that could knock the platform on its ear. But those are not being announced until they are fully tested. Big things for 2013 and the N54.
That sounds very promising!! When you say it will not fit, are you referring to the the Stage 3 kit in this instance?
Appreciate 0