E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Looking for tuning help w/ Cobb and Procede

08-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Looking for tuning help w/ Cobb and Procede

I'm trying to find someone that offers 'e-tuning' services to run my Procede stacked with a Cobb flash. I emailed Bren and they don't do stacked tunes and I emailed PFT on the 28th and haven't heard back yet. Anyone that will offer 'e-tuning' with my stacked set up?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

There are some shade tree tuners that will do it I am sure. The reason great tuners like PTF do not tune stacked configurations on the N54 is because a flash tune can do everything today that a stack can, only a lot better especially with an Cobb Accessport.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's not 100% accurate and Dennzo from PTF was (or maybe still is) stacking using the Procede. Piggybacks offer additional features that can't be incorporated to a single flash and I believe boost control is still superior with Procede/JB.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Try Wedge, he knows the Cobb and Procede pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
That's not 100% accurate and Dennzo from PTF was (or maybe still is) stacking using the Procede. Piggybacks offer additional features that can't be incorporated to a single flash and I believe boost control is still superior with Procede/JB.
Dzenno has been custom tuning with Cobb for a very long time now. He definitely does not stack LOL! You should not believe everything you read online about stacking. Many have seen the light myself included after trying and removing the stack and running fully on a custom flash tune.

There is simply no comparison when it comes to overall daily drivability and smoothness. If you are looking at just dyno numbers both approaches will do very similar but then why bother adding a resistor box to your car tricking the DME at all, removing panels under the hood, going into the DME box, unplugging the DME connectors, etc when you can do everything with your Cobb Accessport?
      08-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Don't hold your breath waiting for PTF to reply.
      08-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90
Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Dzenno has been custom tuning with Cobb for a very long time now. He definitely does not stack LOL! You should not believe everything you read online about stacking. Many have seen the light myself included after trying and removing the stack and running fully on a custom flash tune.

There is simply no comparison when it comes to overall daily drivability and smoothness. If you are looking at just dyno numbers both approaches will do very similar but then why bother adding a resistor box to your car tricking the DME at all, removing panels under the hood, going into the DME box, unplugging the DME connectors, etc when you can do everything with your Cobb Accessport?
I disagree...Stacked tunes offer many things that a flash alone cannot. Piggybacks offer better boost control and multiple on the fly map options. A flash gives you better control over fueling and ignition advance. Plus with a stacked tune you still get gauge hijacking and great meth control. The highest HP N54's use stacked tunes.
      08-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Let us agree to disagree in that case.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post

Dzenno was actually one of the first to start stacking tunes in this platform. Way before he started with PTF and way before he got banned. Just some food for thought. There is a lot of history in the platform and the way it is because of many people.

I do not wish to argue about the pluses and minuses of stacking tunes because it's a moot subject and I think they both cater to different people depending on their needs/goals/ ETC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I know he is local to me and we run in the same circles here. He stacked a JB to add some boost to the OTS maps with methanol until Cobb made ATR custom tuning software available. You are right though everyone does and will always have their opinion at the end of the day and we all know what is said about opinions.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

He also has threads on Ger...boost about stacking with a Procede and his threads indicated that he was quite happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I'm not a tuner by any stretch of the imagination however I've started self tuning with a Cobb and Procede with the help of a friend who self tunes his Cobb and JB4 setup.

As others have said, don't even bother with PTF. Wedge might help however he doesn't seem to be very present these days. Whether he's too busy or he's not interested in doing this stuff anymore I don't really know. I contacted him for a backend but he never really replied so I just started doing it in my own.

I'm happy to help you as best I can with any questions you may have. Post them here though. The more public information around on these topics the better.
      08-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Okay, since we're on the subject, and I'm thinking about switching to COBB, currently running the Procede Rev2 board (it's outdated, I know).

My question is, why is a piggyback better at controlling boost and other things over COBB?

Also, What other things does piggy backs do in tandem with COBB besides controlling boost? I thought that was all that they use the piggy for?

Final, and most important question:

With COBB and DP fix, would I be able to pass the DEQ with a drive cycle? Or is there more to it?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0