E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Exterior / Cosmetic Parts > E90 LCI halogens

03-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #23
Karman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 07 space gray

Please return the lights. Your foolishness encourages me to show you just how not broken these lights are.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #24
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
I see some bad Karma for Karman
I read that as you had bad experience as well. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Even with your $50, that still leaves me down $400 and the hassle of cleaning the lights and fixing the paint and the broken tab.
BTW, the paint isnt cleaning off with WD-40. I'm also spoke to a local auto shop and they want $60 to clean the lens.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #26
Karman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay,if it's too much of a hassle ship them back. Good luck getting them installed on your car whatever headlights you do choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
Okay,if it's too much of a hassle ship them back. Good luck getting them installed on your car whatever headlights you do choose.
Do you at least plan to pay the $50 you keep saying so that I can get these headlights fixed? We can move on with our lives. You know the emailID.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #28
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is another fun fact for you. The $21 part we were assuming does not work with LCI headlights. I would need to buy the 63117175206 (inner) or 63117175208 (outer). Which happens to be $39 + shipping.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...agramCallOut=6

It is listed under the xenon headlight but it works for both halogen and xenon. I spoke to the BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #29
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Those headlight do not look new at all OP, not a nice way to do business.
You will need to use acetone to remove the paint, if it has clear coat on it then that wont work and you will need to sand it off and buff the headlight. The tab can be glued or soldered on, take a soldering iron and carefully solder the tab to where it broke off, make sure to not melt the plastic too much or else it will deform. I have soldered tabs and they were even stronger than they were originally, i have tried it many times and tried breaking them and they are very strong. You just need to do it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #30
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor_ki
Those headlight do not look new at all OP, not a nice way to do business.
You will need to use acetone to remove the paint, if it has clear coat on it then that wont work and you will need to sand it off and buff the headlight. The tab can be glued or soldered on, take a soldering iron and carefully solder the tab to where it broke off, make sure to not melt the plastic too much or else it will deform. I have soldered tabs and they were even stronger than they were originally, i have tried it many times and tried breaking them and they are very strong. You just need to do it correctly.
Thanks igor_ki. I am certainly burned with this experience from buyin anything here in this forum.

Soldering may be only option. FCPeuro is saying that LCI headlights cannot be repaired with the repair kits. I spooe to 2 different reps there. Still waitin for response from getbmwparts. Lets see.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #31
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

I bought lights with broken tabs, and I believe they will be easy to fix.

The user that posted later in page 1 is experienced with buying lights and he said he has soldered the tabs before.

I have an LCI, and I understand we both need a fix...but let's put this into perspective:

Why would a dealer offer us a simple $30 fix, if it breaks again the customer might hold them accountable for it & I bet they would love to upsell you on a new light so that might be another option.

Either way, I wish I sold you my lights

Now, that this isn't the case I have to hope your situation gets better. See if the user's suggestion with acetone will work. If not, sand away that clear coat and buff away ^.^
      03-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #32
Karman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just saying, I agree I fumbled on this one. They were my gf headlights I checked them before she moved to her new house (they must of been damaged in the process) and she shipped them out without me getting to look at them again. If the buyer wants to return them I'll take them back. All they need it tlc im willing to put that in like I have with my current setup ..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #33
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Once again, I am not paying out of pocket to ship them back as you messed up.

Here is an example. Lets say you order something from amazon and they show up not in the condition you ordered. Does amazon ask you pay for return shipping? NO.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #34
marketmaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335

problem is, if you file through paypal, to get your refund, you will have to ship the lights back anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #35
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw328i View Post
Thanks igor_ki. I am certainly burned with this experience from buyin anything here in this forum.

Soldering may be only option. FCPeuro is saying that LCI headlights cannot be repaired with the repair kits. I spooe to 2 different reps there. Still waitin for response from getbmwparts. Lets see.
if its completely broken off, then make sure you alight it right. If its broken in half then it should be pretty easy, you might want to melt some plastic from a donor headlight or cut a small piece from the bottom somewhere where its not needed,( like on a guide pin) and make it thicker where its broken, take it slow though, hold the tabs together and then take the iron and lightly start melting it together from one side, after u get enough so tha it stays put without you holding it, let it cool and then do the other side. then remelt the top again and you can add a little of the melted plastic on top. let it cool and do the other side again and this time melt it a little bit more s that you get it melted till the middle of the fracture. U can use water to cool it faster, if u do both sides at the same time, the plastic will get too flimsy and will deform badly. also try to shape the sides into ridges how it is originally as that adds structural strength.

The headlight plastic has some fiberglass like material in it so it can cause itching, use some thin leather gloves as nylon gloves can melt and burn your skin.

I might make a video soon how to do this as it is difficult to explain in words.
Good Luck man! Just dont burn yourself
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #36
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor_ki View Post
if its completely broken off, then make sure you alight it right. If its broken in half then it should be pretty easy, you might want to melt some plastic from a donor headlight or cut a small piece from the bottom somewhere where its not needed,( like on a guide pin) and make it thicker where its broken, take it slow though, hold the tabs together and then take the iron and lightly start melting it together from one side, after u get enough so tha it stays put without you holding it, let it cool and then do the other side. then remelt the top again and you can add a little of the melted plastic on top. let it cool and do the other side again and this time melt it a little bit more s that you get it melted till the middle of the fracture. U can use water to cool it faster, if u do both sides at the same time, the plastic will get too flimsy and will deform badly. also try to shape the sides into ridges how it is originally as that adds structural strength.

The headlight plastic has some fiberglass like material in it so it can cause itching, use some thin leather gloves as nylon gloves can melt and burn your skin.

I might make a video soon how to do this as it is difficult to explain in words.
Good Luck man! Just dont burn yourself
If my body shop cannot due it, then I shall ask for a video +appreciate.
      03-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #37
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post
If my body shop cannot due it, then I shall ask for a video +appreciate.
So I spoke to a local Battery+ location and guy there said he can solder it. Will cost about $50 per broken tab (in my case 1). Apparently they put some reinforcement steel wire into the tab just like stapling paper.

BTW Karman, I have cancelled the paypal dispute as its not worth my time. Can you now atleast pay the $50 to have this fixed?
Appreciate 0