E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Auto Start - Stop (Euro Fuel Saving feature)

11-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Auto Start - Stop (Euro Fuel Saving feature)

Anyone tried coding this? Seems like its been available to euro e90's for years. (2008 320d for example)

older documentation shows it used to be on all 4 cal manuals. It seems as if it is common to all 3 series in europe now.

It is on 2011.5+ M3 in the US, but selected to off by default.

Last edited by taibanl; 11-22-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

What module and function are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
I don't know the coding aspect of it, its standard on euro cars and US m3's

here's more info,

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461091
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
function to automatically shut off the engine at a stop light if the computer decides certain conditions are met and it is okay to do so. apparently standard on euro-spec cars.

I believe some of the conditions are only if the engine is warmed up, not too many accessories are on (i.e. stereo is turned up too loud), and the engine starts back up on when letting your foot off the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

ok, after a bit of googling, you would not want to enable it without a bigger battery and stronger starter motor.

the option can be enabled with DIS and would require additional software modules to be loaded. i also believe you will need a button of some sort to toggle on and off. as you may know, the dis system is HUGE, about a 40gb download.

it would be quite a big retrofit and is likely to cost a fortune to do it properly. to do it as a hack job, i think it will still cost a fair bit

the only coding i have found related to start/stop is to enable or disable it by default. the coding is:

"In the heater panel, IHKA, read FSW, find MSA memory, change to Aktive."

I drove an audi with the same feature for a week, it was terrible. you cant rely on the car to 'sneak' into traffic gaps, the engine is quite obvious when it is starting and stopping (pedestrians look at you like a retard), cant run the AC heavily or have the radio on super loud etc etc etc

In the end, the MPG ended up being the same as a diesel. I can't believe they are implementing this on M3's! Should be on the lowest spec, lowest power, most fuel efficient car, not a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ok, after a bit of googling, you would not want to enable it without a bigger battery and stronger starter motor.

the option can be enabled with DIS and would require additional software modules to be loaded. i also believe you will need a button of some sort to toggle on and off. as you may know, the dis system is HUGE, about a 40gb download.

it would be quite a big retrofit and is likely to cost a fortune to do it properly. to do it as a hack job, i think it will still cost a fair bit

the only coding i have found related to start/stop is to enable or disable it by default. the coding is:

"In the heater panel, IHKA, read FSW, find MSA memory, change to Aktive."

I drove an audi with the same feature for a week, it was terrible. you cant rely on the car to 'sneak' into traffic gaps, the engine is quite obvious when it is starting and stopping (pedestrians look at you like a retard), cant run the AC heavily or have the radio on super loud etc etc etc

In the end, the MPG ended up being the same as a diesel. I can't believe they are implementing this on M3's! Should be on the lowest spec, lowest power, most fuel efficient car, not a sports car.
As part of my build sheet I have something to the effect of "Stronger electric system"

I did think about the control hardware...from what I know about it, it is disabled when in DS, so if it were coded to default "ON" and i just went do DS when I didn't want it, I might get away without the controls

So seems from a coding standpoint, its a single variable...you think there'd be harm in trying it (i would of course have to have a second coding session to disable).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
As part of my build sheet I have something to the effect of "Stronger electric system"

I did think about the control hardware...from what I know about it, it is disabled when in DS, so if it were coded to default "ON" and i just went do DS when I didn't want it, I might get away without the controls

So seems from a coding standpoint, its a single variable...you think there'd be harm in trying it (i would of course have to have a second coding session to disable).
Probably no harm in trying it, but i bet it won't do anything. You could always go old school and use your right index finger and the Start/Stop button. I wouldn't try to hack this in my car. your starter motor and battery probably are not built for this. Why don't you ask a dealer?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0