E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod adapter question........

08-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
47Straight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sportline

Ipod adapter question........

About a month ago I bought the 2007 335i pictured below. I've been around BMWs most of my life. This was a move out of a Z3 2.8 into something that would better work with a wife and 3 boys.

I have to say that after a month I still have that excitement and grin on my face every time I get in the car.

The only issue I've been able to find with the car is that that I can't get the Ipod cable to work. I've done several searches and found a lot of information, but haven't quite found any specific to this issue. I have the Logic 7 stereo with a factory iPod connector in the glove box and an aux in in the arm rest console. My collection of manuals has the factory iPod adapter insert manual included.

According to the manual when the iPod is connected, it should show up through the CD changer setting on the head unit and the iPod should switch to a typical "controlled iPod" screen that says BMW or something similar. I've tried both a Gen 2 and Gen 3 iPod nano, both with the latest firmware update, and neither will show up in the CD changer. When I switch to CD changer the head unit just says "no cartridge". The interesting thing is that both iPods do show that they are charging when I connect them, but they never switch to a "controlled" screen.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any thoughts about whether it would likely be the cable, the control unit, etc.? Is there some step I'm missing?

I've searched both here and on the internet in general but haven't seen anything with this specific issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

That's correct - when plugged into your the glove box, the ipod display should change to a BMW one and it should show up on the stereo display. If I remember correctly, the CD changer is no longer visible but rather says ipod. I wonder if the interface box somehow got disconnected behind the dash, or maybe it's wired to a blown fuse that isn't the radio one.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
47Straight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sportline

I found a DIY for adding the MOST iPod adapter. It looks like that's the one that's in this car. It looks like the place to start would be to remove the glove box et. al. and check all the connections. After that it would be replace the cable and then the unit.
Appreciate 0