E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Doctors. Shoulder injury...

09-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #45
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

Shoot, I'm late to the conversation.

Glad to hear you're doing better. From reading your posts, I'd be surprised if there's any real damage. You didn't suddenly lose range of motion or give a story where you were fine and then suddenly, pop, you had pain. Sounds like muscle strain that's going to take some time to heal.

MRI is a great diagnostic tool, but it shouldn't be the first thing your doctor orders. The ER did the standard workup. Nobody would do an MRI of the shoulder out of the ER. If your symptoms get better over a few days (sounds like they are), your doc's going to wait it out. Usually we're only doing MRI's on people for whom therapy hasn't helped. If we did an MRI on everyone with shoulder pain, medicine would be even more expensive than it is now (but my job would be secure!).

As far as MRI cost, remeber the machine is $1M plus. The service contract is several thousand dollors A MONTH. And you have to pay the technologist, the electricity, the helium guys, the rent, the guys that built the room, the RIS/PACS purchase and upkeep . . . . and of course ME. But don't worry about the film. We'll burn the images to a CD for FREE. (You're welcome.)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #46
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymd View Post
Shoot, I'm late to the conversation.

Glad to hear you're doing better. From reading your posts, I'd be surprised if there's any real damage. You didn't suddenly lose range of motion or give a story where you were fine and then suddenly, pop, you had pain. Sounds like muscle strain that's going to take some time to heal.

MRI is a great diagnostic tool, but it shouldn't be the first thing your doctor orders. The ER did the standard workup. Nobody would do an MRI of the shoulder out of the ER. If your symptoms get better over a few days (sounds like they are), your doc's going to wait it out. Usually we're only doing MRI's on people for whom therapy hasn't helped. If we did an MRI on everyone with shoulder pain, medicine would be even more expensive than it is now (but my job would be secure!).

As far as MRI cost, remeber the machine is $1M plus. The service contract is several thousand dollors A MONTH. And you have to pay the technologist, the electricity, the helium guys, the rent, the guys that built the room, the RIS/PACS purchase and upkeep . . . . and of course ME. But don't worry about the film. We'll burn the images to a CD for FREE. (You're welcome.)
I am going to Penn State in January and I am going to have to take a PT test when I get there. At least 42 push ups when I do about 70 now... is one of the events. I am just hoping I will be 100% with enough time to get myself back in the game. Maybe it was just a muscle strain or pull? And not something too internal?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #47
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hard to say for certain over the internet, but that sure sounds like the case. Just generalizing here, but labral tears usually occur after repetitive trauma (think baseball pitcher) and not after a single event. Rotator cuff tears also tend to evolve over years after repeated trauma. The people I see who have sudden full thickness tears are usually older and the cuff was hanging by a thread before it suddenly gave way. For someone young to tear the cuff, you're talking significant trauma, like a car accident that dislocates your shoulder.

I have seen younger folks (20's and 30's) with partial thickness tears. They're usually weight lifters (don't know if that's your case). The treatment for these is rest.

Don't pass up physical therapy if your doctor recommends it. They'll work with you to get you in shape for January without causing more harm.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say for certain over the internet, but that sure sounds like the case. Just generalizing here, but labral tears usually occur after repetitive trauma (think baseball pitcher) and not after a single event. Rotator cuff tears also tend to evolve over years after repeated trauma. The people I see who have sudden full thickness tears are usually older and the cuff was hanging by a thread before it suddenly gave way. For someone young to tear the cuff, you're talking significant trauma, like a car accident that dislocates your shoulder.

I have seen younger folks (20's and 30's) with partial thickness tears. They're usually weight lifters (don't know if that's your case). The treatment for these is rest.

Don't pass up physical therapy if your doctor recommends it. They'll work with you to get you in shape for January without causing more harm.
I do lift weights, I lifted on saturday and felt no pain in my left shoulder even after lifting. If anything it was soreness in my right. I am pretty well educated when it comes to knowing my limits and when I am overdoing something and I have not felt in a long long time that it has been the case, I have been doing the same routine for a while and have never run into shoulder problems, I know that I have weak shoulders and I try to stay away from a lot of shoulder specific workouts. I am also wondering what things I should be ok doing without making my case worse. I am ok with staying off the weights until I have been seen and advised however I am wondering if running will hinder my recovery. I feel like I am wasting away...

I usually bench press, skull crushers (triceps), tri pull downs, curve bar curls, bent over rows, incline fly, and lat pull downs... that is about the extent of my upper body work out...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #49
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Do you really want advice from the internet about something that could affect your health and possible sports career? Not saying that what u have is serious or that anyone here has given you bad advice but I would be careful taking anything off a forum seriously since none of us have examined u or seen any of your tests.. If you are worried about it enough to post here u should go and get it followed up.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #50
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Do you really want advice from the internet about something that could affect your health and possible sports career? Not saying that what u have is serious or that anyone here has given you bad advice but I would be careful taking anything off a forum seriously since none of us have examined u or seen any of your tests.. If you are worried about it enough to post here u should go and get it followed up.
The soonest physical therapy appointment is 3 weeks out. I went to the gym today and did some of the exercises off this web site http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00067
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #51
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

It is tough playing internet doc, maybe you have Carney's complex, haha, jokes aside you can't get a true assessment without being seen firsthand. You have been given a lot of sound advice though.

Last edited by AMJ_77; 10-24-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #52
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Thats fine.. just do not put any strain on the shoulder until its checked out properly. Meds can mask pain and u can cause further injury because it feels alright.Rather be cautious until a proper evaluation of the damage is done. Hey for all I know u ok and on the road to recovery but rather be safe than sorry, especially if having strong shoulders is detrimental to your future
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #53
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
It is tough playing internet doc, maybe you have Carney's complex, haha, jokes aside we can't give you a true assessment without seeing you first hand. You have been given a lot of sound advice though.
HAHA.. unles xforged is really fucked and listen to us pooftahs , gets really worse, comes back in a few months and sues our asses for piss cheap consulting on the internet
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #54
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I havent taken ibuprofin since about 230 and it feels ok...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #55
rlb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, 300ZX

Take the Ibuprofen (600mg) 2-3x/day every day, with meals. To be most effective for soft tissue inflammation, it needs to be taken consistently so it can achieve therapeutic levels. If you do this, rest and ice, it will most likely be better before you go to PT.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #56
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear things are better. Check your e-mail for my bill
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #57
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Sorry, inappropriate history. Claim denied.

Try a different ICD-9 code.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #58
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Day 4 or 5 and pain is pretty neutralized...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #59
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Sorry, inappropriate history. Claim denied.

Try a different ICD-9 code.

(except usually they don't deny until 3 months later!)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #60
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

I saw a physical therapist at my unit and he said that it was a shoulder impingement. Because I was feeling pressure on that certain rotator cuff spot. However I am not really having problems with that anymore but the muscle on the back side of my arm. It aches...

The back of my arm, on the meat of the back actually as if you grab your opposite shoulder it hurts where the tip of the middle finger ends up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #61
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

hmm i have a shoulder impingement also. im too lazy to get the MRI. been to physical therapy. it gotton better since. im on the road to recovery. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #62
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
I saw a physical therapist at my unit and he said that it was a shoulder impingement. Because I was feeling pressure on that certain rotator cuff spot. However I am not really having problems with that anymore but the muscle on the back side of my arm. It aches...

The back of my arm, on the meat of the back actually as if you grab your opposite shoulder it hurts where the tip of the middle finger ends up.
If I understand correctly, you're not talking about the arm but the top of your back. Do you mean over your scapula? If so, that could be your rotator cuff. The main muscles of the cuff are attatched to the scapula which is up high on your back.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #63
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you're not talking about the arm but the top of your back. Do you mean over your scapula? If so, that could be your rotator cuff. The main muscles of the cuff are attatched to the scapula which is up high on your back.
It's on the back of my arm... if you were looking at a person from the side and only see arms/legs and head it would be on the line. Where people usually get tatoos
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #64
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah, sounds like deltoid. Or maybe triceps. Nothing to do with the cuff.

If it hurts to extend your elbow against resistance (think of a push-up), that's the triceps.

The deltoid wraps around the outside of the shoulder extending both in front of and behind the shoulder. It can control several different movements at the shoulder depending on how your arm is turned.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #65
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah, sounds like deltoid. Or maybe triceps. Nothing to do with the cuff.

If it hurts to extend your elbow against resistance (think of a push-up), that's the triceps.

The deltoid wraps around the outside of the shoulder extending both in front of and behind the shoulder. It can control several different movements at the shoulder depending on how your arm is turned.
I have 90% range of motion, it doesn't hurt really I am just reluctant to reaaalllyyy stretch it behind my back out of lack of stupidity. Is is a pulled muscle? Its a pulled muscle ache kind of feeling I think. It doesn't feel like anything to do with internal shoulder near where impingement is usually at. I did squats and rested my bar on that area and since then it hurt. I am assuming it's because of that. I can do pushups just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #66
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
I have 90% range of motion, it doesn't hurt really I am just reluctant to reaaalllyyy stretch it behind my back out of lack of stupidity. Is is a pulled muscle? Its a pulled muscle ache kind of feeling I think. It doesn't feel like anything to do with internal shoulder near where impingement is usually at. I did squats and rested my bar on that area and since then it hurt. I am assuming it's because of that. I can do pushups just fine.
Using the neck pad could eleviate some of that pain, if not all.
Appreciate 0