E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Mishimoto FMIC Help needed

03-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_HOUND View Post
Here is the picture:
Thanks!

Quote:
Although, I haven't heard back from John at Mishimoto. Someone else at Mishimoto has contacted me telling me that the FMIC maybe covered by the warranty.

I had a swap out in mind. I don't feel that this is warranty work because I never got the FMIC installed.

I'm 100% sure that the coupling was a little off when it was welded on, as my stock FMIC went right back on with no issues. This is not a hard install at all. The hardest part is removing the splash guard if you call that difficult.

1) Drive car on Rhino Ramps
2) Remove Splash Guard
3) Remove the plastic strip ( two little levers ) on the bottom of the stock FMIC
4) pull the 2 C clips holding each hose on to the IC
5) remove T20 Bolts and the FMIC drops out.

I think the proper way to handle this is I box up the defected FMIC and ship it back and they ship me a new one.

I'll let you guys know if that is what happens.

So far Mishimoto has responded quickly and seem to be organized.
Sorry for the delayed response on my end, although it does appear you are being taken care of. A swap like this would still run through our standard warranty process due to the factory defect. Hoping to take a look at this unit once it arrives to compare the orientation to our samples here in the office. The images are helpful but it would be nice to have the unit in front of us for comparison.

Quote:
That's why I couldn't get it installed. The guys at ECS already sent me an RMA number. It does suck to have to wait a couple more weeks to get a new one. They are going to ship me an new one after they get the defected one back.
Sorry for the inconvenience. We will be checking into this as this seems to be the first issue reported with the connection points being off. Sounds like ECS has you covered as well. Shoot us a PM if we can help out with anything else!

Thanks for working with us on this!

-John
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #24
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response on my end, although it does appear you are being taken care of. A swap like this would still run through our standard warranty process due to the factory defect. Hoping to take a look at this unit once it arrives to compare the orientation to our samples here in the office. The images are helpful but it would be nice to have the unit in front of us for comparison.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will be checking into this as this seems to be the first issue reported with the connection points being off. Sounds like ECS has you covered as well. Shoot us a PM if we can help out with anything else!

Thanks for working with us on this!

-John
Now this is a proper vendor! It seems rare nowadays to have a manufacturer come onto a message board and not only provide assistance but own up to an error. I am very glad to have gone with Mishimoto.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #25
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Now this is a proper vendor! It seems rare nowadays to have a manufacturer come onto a message board and not only provide assistance but own up to an error. I am very glad to have gone with Mishimoto.
Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #26
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I may have spoke too soon. I am sitting at the shop right now and I have the exact same problem. The drivers side CNC coupling on the inter cooler is clocked wrong and the OEM pipe will not engage. I think mishimoto has a manufacturing issue at this joint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #27
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Well, I may have spoke too soon. I am sitting at the shop right now and I have the exact same problem. The drivers side CNC coupling on the inter cooler is clocked wrong and the OEM pipe will not engage. I think mishimoto has a manufacturing issue at this joint.
That is exactly what my problem was.

That sucks. Now I'm worried that the replacement Intercooler I have coming will be incorrect also.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #28
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is exactly what my problem was.

That sucks. Now I'm worried that the replacement Intercooler I have coming will be incorrect also.
Please keep this thread updated when you get the replacement. It does seem there is a systemic failure here. I have submitted a warranty claim on Mishimoto's website as well as spoken with Mike at XPH about this issue. I notice both of us have the black version of the intercooler. I wonder if a silver unit would exhibit the same issue.

In any case I confess I am a little disappointed here. I really hope Mishimoto steps up and finds the issue and gets things figured out. I had to drop $90 for the failed install since it wasn't the shops fault so I am also out that money.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #29
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So if you look closely at the images of the intercooler on the Mishimoto website you can see the drivers side coupler is nearly level with the outboard side being slight lower:

Now here is a photo of my intercooler. You can see the coupler is clocked significantly more anti-clockwise. This is what is causing it. Something seems to have gone wrong in their manufacturing and/or QA process.
Attached Images

Last edited by jwzimm; 03-21-2015 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #30
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if you look closely at the images of the intercooler on the Mishimoto website you can see the drivers side coupler is nearly level with the outboard side being slight lower:

Now here is a photo of my intercooler. You can see the coupler is clocked significantly more anti-clockwise. This is what is causing it. Something seems to have gone wrong in their manufacturing and/or QA process.
Try to take the picture at the exact same angle as the silver one. You are pretty close now, but I think it would be interesting to rule out any differences due to point of view/angle. If you count the bars from the top of the intercooler you see the key way on the coupling is lines up with the 3rd bar from the top. Look at the difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
LiquidxStorm
.some.assembly.required.
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Saloon (e90)

Garage List
2011 335i / e90  [0.00]
Issues here too. Does the passenger side look not quite round to anyone else? Kind of.. oval'ish?
Attached Images

Last edited by LiquidxStorm; 03-23-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #32
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Now, I'm really starting to worry. Yes your Inlet side of that FMIC looks like an egg to me. I don't recall the one I had looking like that and would be willing to bet that it shouldn't be an oval.

So now we have 3 people including myself with Fitment issues with the Mishimoto FMIC all centered around the couplings. I'm thinking about just asking for my money back, if I get a replacement unit and it has problems than ECS may think I just don't know what I'm doing and they may give me a hassle to return it.

Both ECS and Mishimoto have been stand up about product and customer support so far, but I have been very inconvenienced also and now am experiencing annexity about the replacement unit being off-spec also.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #33
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Diff an issue with the coupler alignment. Fix, is cut and re-weld to correct position.
Just ask ecs or mishimoto to test fit before they give you a replacement.
Ur doing the forum members/ and manufacture a service by pointing out bad fitment.

Mish needs to send that person welding the FMIC to a chiro to crack their neck - They're off. Or their template is off. How does mish do quality control before packing? Worst part is the waiting for the replacement. You'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #34
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidxStorm View Post
Issues here too. Does the passenger side look not quite round to anyone else? Kind of.. oval'ish?

(Whoa..I'll resize these in a bit)

Edit!

I just took a closer look. Mine has that same issue!

Last edited by jwzimm; 03-22-2015 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #35
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try to take the picture at the exact same angle as the silver one. You are pretty close now, but I think it would be interesting to rule out any differences due to point of view/angle. If you count the bars from the top of the intercooler you see the key way on the coupling is lines up with the 3rd bar from the top. Look at the difference between the two.
It is difficult to get them exactly right. The focal length on the lens has an effect on the image as well. I can tell you though, the coupling is definitely clocked wrong.

Being an engineer and working in manufacturing I can tell you what has likely gone wrong. They should have some tooling that clocks the coupling and aligns it to the cast end tanks. They are then welded in place. The tooling for the passenger side (inlet) looks to be good but the tooling for the drivers side (outlet) has either gotten damaged or moved resulting in this.

In a perfect world they would have a fit check tool that the finished product could snap into to check the alignment and fit prior to final QA buyoff. That would catch this issue before the product is shipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #36
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In a perfect world they would have a fit check tool that the finished product could snap into to check the alignment and fit prior to final QA buyoff. That would catch this issue before the product is shipped.

Exactly, I'm thinking about just asking for my money back. What do think?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #37
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_HOUND
Quote:

Exactly, I'm thinking about just asking for my money back. What do think?
I think it is going to take some time for Mishimoto to address this. Best case scenario is they identify the bad batch and have good units in stock they can ship to replace them. I have low confidence that the replacement unit you are being shipped now will not have these issues.

Here are the options I can see:

1. If the replacement is already on its way make sure to thoroughly inspect it when you get it. If it has the same defects request to return it too.

2. If you haven't been shipped it yet I would wait to see how Mishimoto responds on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #38
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
That outlet definitely looks damaged in the picture above.

A bit off topic but we just got more 5" stepped core intercoolers back in stock, they replace the restrictive OEM connectors so you wouldn't run into any of these issues.

The removal process of the OEM connectors is completely reversible and takes about 5-10 minutes
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #39
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well here is my inlet coupling. It looks like the shop had difficulties mating and de-mating it because of the damage/oblong as delivered.

I really hope Mishimoto makes this right. I really loved the design and build of this unit but these quality issues are scarring me.

And Tiago, I appreciate you are trying to help but you are coming off as a little sleazy trying to push your products onto us. We have to work through the RMA process on this which means we will likely be tied up for at least a week. Also, I considered your intercooler and decided on the Mishimoto unit instead. Please respect that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #40
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Awaiting comment from mishimoto
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #41
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

mishimoto

Still waiting for information. I really want to stick with your intercooler but it is becoming difficult to justify it with this lack of communication.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #42
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm sure you have already but if you didn't, you should contact Mishimoto direct by email or phone. They typically don't handle warranty claims in forum threads.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #43
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'm sure you have already but if you didn't, you should contact Mishimoto direct by email or phone. They typically don't handle warranty claims in forum threads.
Thanks. I do have a warranty claim in to them but it is moving very slowly. I have only received one email from them so far asking me to provide information that was already provided. I may try calling them if movement continues to elude me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #44
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm waiting to hear back from ECS on mine. I told them I am willing to try a silver / polish unit because I believe you are right that the black FMICs could be the defective batch and here is why.

Jwzimm purchased his black FMIC from a vendor on the forum i believe
I purchased my black FMIC from ECS

We both had the same issue so logic would dictate that it is a batch problem with at least the black FMIC.
Appreciate 0