E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST V1 Coilover Quick Impressions E92

05-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
kengm
Rep
Drives: 335i Space Grey Metallic Coupe

ST V1 Coilover Quick Impressions E92

Hello all,

Just thought I'd give a quick post on my initial impressions of this kit. So many of your posts were helpful in my decision, so I thought I'd post some feedback on my own.

I have a 09 E92 with the ZSP running on 18s. My main goal in a new suspension was tightening up the body lean. I don't ever track the car, but I do like to have fun in the canyon roads here in UT. Comfort was secondary since it's my daily driver, followed by lowering.

After reading hundreds of posts I had decided on going with the FSD/Eibach Pro combo since that seemed to be the most popular 'mild' setup. I didn't need the adjustability of coilovers, not to mention the expense. I was all set to order, then had a conversation with Alan at MB. Basically he gave me a price on the ST Coilovers that I couldn't pass up. I liked the idea of matched valving/bumpstops. I don't ever plan on adjusting the height so that wasn't an issue for me. From what I understand this kit is basically the same as the KW V1 expect that it uses a galvanized steel which is a non issue if you live in warm states, and even with me living in UT where we use salt during the winter I wasn't too concerned. I've never had coilovers before, so I figured why not. So I pulled the trigger.

Comfort
I was initially concerned about ride harshness b/c that's kind of the general consensus with coils. I can safely say that concern is gone. The ride is no harsher than the ZSP, and in many ways more comfortable. What I notice is that the initial impact of a large bump might be a tad firmer, but everything after that is so much better. You can feel the rebound controlled, no more disconcerting feeling of the car coming off the road, it's more planted. Smaller bumps hardly even register. My gf said she felt like sometimes the car felt like it had no shocks on the ZSP. So overall I'd say the ride is more 'comfortable'. This might change when I go back to my run flats which I know I need to get rid of, but just don't feel like spending the money on quite yet. I assume my snow tires will be softer than non run flat summers.

Performance
I haven't had extensive time (just got them on today) but I did take it on some familiar corners as well as bad roads. Much less body lean, but most importantly less jarring around of the car when going over bumps. That's probably the biggest improvement and is a big confidence booster. And makes the car really fun Like many others have stated after getting an aftermarket suspension, this feels like the way the car should have been.

Looks
I didn't want a very big drop. I basically kept the kit at their highest settings, which dropped the rear a little, and closed off the front gap nicely. I'm happy with it and don't plan on messing with it.

Final Thought
Overall, I'm super happy with this purchase. If anyone's on the fence about this kit, get off and order it. You'll love it.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
speed_dmon
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92

Nice review but also
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Kinda surprised you got these considering you see salt in the winter and the car is your daily.

When I was considering these I googled them and found one person that experienced rust after one winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
kengm
Rep

Yeah like I said I was concerned about the daily driver aspect but I shouldn't have been, it's super comfortable. As for the rust, I'm going to try to find some coating I can spray on. I've noticed here although we get salt the cars don't rust as bad as back east perhaps due to the drier climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Kinda surprised you got these considering you see salt in the winter and the car is your daily.

When I was considering these I googled them and found one person that experienced rust after one winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengm View Post
Yeah like I said I was concerned about the daily driver aspect but I shouldn't have been, it's super comfortable. As for the rust, I'm going to try to find some coating I can spray on. I've noticed here although we get salt the cars don't rust as bad as back east perhaps due to the drier climate.
Post pics and PM me the price you got please

I'm in the market for basic coils and this sounds perfect...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
kengm
Rep

Give me about a week on the pics...I'm getting my summer wheels put on and then I'll take pics. It's still been SNOWING here so I want to get it clean as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
omg321123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

They're just KW V1 without the mark lol. I have the exact same thing on my e90. so much better than the ZSP suspension when it comes to cornering eventho it's a bit bumpy. smart choice!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
vazbro
Vazbro
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Any updates? Pics? I am planning to get the ST suspension too so any pics and handling update would be apprecaited.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
kengm
Rep

Pics...finally

These were just taken on a cell phone. Pretty awesome scenery. Just for reference the rears are as high as they can go and the fronts could go quite a bit lower. I wanted a pretty conservative drop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #10
kengm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazbro View Post
Any updates? Pics? I am planning to get the ST suspension too so any pics and handling update would be apprecaited.
Thanks in advance
Just a couple of updates to my original thoughts:

The best way to describe the feeling around turns is glued to the road. Bumps that would have thrown the ZSP off course get eaten up by the STs. Much more predictable. I do notice a tad more bounciness than ZSP but for the improvement in handling I'll gladly take that tradeoff. I could go for still a little less body lean, but I figure that's where I'd need to get into other parts like sways and other M bits Overall still a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
heavystarch
one day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Golf R tornado red

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

damn that really is the perfect drop... not the "coolest" drop, but perfect drop.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Thanks for sharing your feedback/pictures with the community. The car definitely looks much better with the drop and I'm sure that the car handles much better as compared to the stock sports suspension!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 01-29-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
kengm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Thanks for sharing your feedback/pictures with the community. The car definitely looks much better with the drop and I'm sure that the car handles much better as compared to the shock sports suspension!
Thanks for your help Alan. I love the handling. Also, diving under hard braking is very well controlled. I know because I almost hit a deer and had to slam on the brakes going 80. Car remained very composed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

cool, i am about to purchase these. thanks for the right up
      09-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Ltboogz
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I was in the same boat as you was thinkin of goin with the fsd eibach combo then got sold on the st's (ride comfort is the only concern with the coils so if not too harsh ill be set) gettin installed friday ill post my thoughts then
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #17
kengm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltboogz View Post
I was in the same boat as you was thinkin of goin with the fsd eibach combo then got sold on the st's (ride comfort is the only concern with the coils so if not too harsh ill be set) gettin installed friday ill post my thoughts then
If you've lived with the ZSP then you can definitely live with the ST's. It's just a tad bit bouncier but everything else is so much better. I mean, if you hit a big pothole/bump it feels like garbage with the ZSP, except you also feel like the car's coming off the road. The ST's are very planted.

Look forward to hearing your write up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Thanks for sharing your feedback/pictures with the community. The car definitely looks much better with the drop and I'm sure that the car handles much better as compared to the shock sports suspension!
Can you PM me price shipped to 92563 zip...08 E90

Last edited by BLK_08E90; 09-27-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
Ltboogz
Rep

got the coils a couple weeks ago my main concern was ride comfort as an everyday driver an I'm pretty satisfied i had the non sport so it handles a whole lot better it is a little bit bouncy at times but nothing unbearable totally worth the all around effect.Thanks go to the guys at mod bargains they got me a great deal + install.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #20
Ltboogz
Rep

hey a lil off topic but what wheel offsets are you running, im trying to figure what offsets i should get for 19" vmr vb3's since i also have the st coils i was concerned about rubbing issues in the back. I believe the fitment would be the same on my 2011 e90 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
kengm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltboogz View Post
hey a lil off topic but what wheel offsets are you running, im trying to figure what offsets i should get for 19" vmr vb3's since i also have the st coils i was concerned about rubbing issues in the back. I believe the fitment would be the same on my 2011 e90 sedan.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...5-e9x-3-series

18"x8.5" +35mm Front
18"x9.5" +33mm Rear
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Looks great! Any regrets about not getting the V2?

edit: Maybe I'm confused, but is the V1 non-damping adjustable? ST's website has it listed as an "S1" which is damping adjustable.

Last edited by Jdub679; 01-28-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0