E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Is it possible to play MPEG videos from USB?

09-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Is it possible to play MPEG videos from USB?

I have a feeling that I would have to install tvandnav but I think that only works with the DVD slot. I would rather just be able to swap out thumb drives.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330iE90, F15X5, F25X3, F15X5

BMW has a USB retrofit unit that allows you to play MPEG video from thrumb drive.
      10-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamprecht View Post
BMW has a USB retrofit unit that allows you to play MPEG video from thrumb drive.
wow really? that would be soo cool! i'd have music videos and such playing on those long lonely drives to see my gf

do u know what its called?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
say33d
Rep
Drives: bmw 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
wow really? that would be soo cool! i'd have music videos and such playing on those long lonely drives to see my gf

do u know what its called?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=65&fg=95

i think that is it......no idea if anyone has tried one yet or even how it works!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
Japan
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i

Garage List
hmmm,,,
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

Yes that's it. I have installed the ACM and it works really well. It is like a factory install and works with the i_drive knob.
      10-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

if we can watch movies with a usb key and the navi screen what is the point of making for example the eas tv and go? i mean you do need a dvd player with the eas tv and go but ???
      10-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
lul77
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92

wait what is this?! i don't have the usb/ipod plug on my car so would this thing allow me to use thumb drives? when i read about this before ppl said that there was really no way to retrofit the usb plug without spending serious $$. pls let me know.... tired of switching btwn nav dvd and mp3 dvd

available for photoshoots in NJ/NY area. click links for ::samples:. http://lul77.zenfolio.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lul77 View Post
wait what is this?! i don't have the usb/ipod plug on my car so would this thing allow me to use thumb drives? when i read about this before ppl said that there was really no way to retrofit the usb plug without spending serious $$. pls let me know.... tired of switching btwn nav dvd and mp3 dvd
Yes its not cheaper than the alternatives, but it is BMW OEM - quite well designed, supports features such as scaling, etc.

You need the ACM kit which is the generic interface unit. The BMW ACM unit consist of 2 parts. One is the Video unit and the other a CAN converter. Everything is already prepared for
(1) DVD input
(2) Reversing camera input (integrates with PDC) turns on when reversing
(3) Side view cameras input (integrates with PDC) and turns on when driving <10km/h
(4) Digital video broadcast receiver
(5) USB video/image/music input. You can use most portable HDD with this.

It also supports power control for DVD and other units so they won't drain the battery.

If you buy the optional Digital Video Broadcast receiver you can receive DVB television and control the channels from the i-Drive knob.

If you buy the optional USB input it mounts in the glove compartment where you can put your portable harddrive. It supplies sufficient power 500mA to drive most 2.5" harddrives. It allows video/picture and sound playback. Everything is controlled from a menu that is overlay on the display and controlled by the iDrive knob to select a directory on the drive, next and previous title. It also lists the titles.

If you buy the optional DVD player there are no i-Drive controls possible. You will have to use an IR remote control.

On all video sources it supports various scaling options because all composite video input resolutions are different than your Central Information Display (CID) Scaling can be selected by pressing the I-Drive button while playing.

Service menu is entered by sliding the knob once to the right and 3 times to the left. Options can be enabled/disabled on the ACM.

It automatically select the AUX input as Aux source for all, BUT it has no way to determine what source you were on BEFORE you selected ACM so it therefore stays on AUX when you return and you will have to manually select CD if that was your previous source.

Pricing: As far as I know these are the prices:

$400-$500 for ACM kit including all wiring looms for a factory-like installation.
$300 for the USB kit including all wiring looms
$250-$350 for the DVB-T set top box
$1500 for the side view camera kit

OK so this is a breakdown of all the OEM bells and whistles.

You have another option. There is a german company that makes a unit that sits next to the TCM in the trunk on the MOST bus. It makes as if it is a TV module and you have to code your vehicle to have a TV. It would then route a composite video & audio input to your CID. The nice thing about this is that you still have the assistance window active when you display another video input.

Hope this helps
      01-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
suffix
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M LeMans Blue

does this work on the CiC iDrive (in '09 models)?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamprecht View Post
Yes its not cheaper than the alternatives, but it is BMW OEM - quite well designed, supports features such as scaling, etc.

You need the ACM kit which is the generic interface unit. The BMW ACM unit consist of 2 parts. One is the Video unit and the other a CAN converter. Everything is already prepared for
(1) DVD input
(2) Reversing camera input (integrates with PDC) turns on when reversing
(3) Side view cameras input (integrates with PDC) and turns on when driving <10km/h
(4) Digital video broadcast receiver
(5) USB video/image/music input. You can use most portable HDD with this.

It also supports power control for DVD and other units so they won't drain the battery.

If you buy the optional Digital Video Broadcast receiver you can receive DVB television and control the channels from the i-Drive knob.

If you buy the optional USB input it mounts in the glove compartment where you can put your portable harddrive. It supplies sufficient power 500mA to drive most 2.5" harddrives. It allows video/picture and sound playback. Everything is controlled from a menu that is overlay on the display and controlled by the iDrive knob to select a directory on the drive, next and previous title. It also lists the titles.

If you buy the optional DVD player there are no i-Drive controls possible. You will have to use an IR remote control.

On all video sources it supports various scaling options because all composite video input resolutions are different than your Central Information Display (CID) Scaling can be selected by pressing the I-Drive button while playing.

Service menu is entered by sliding the knob once to the right and 3 times to the left. Options can be enabled/disabled on the ACM.

It automatically select the AUX input as Aux source for all, BUT it has no way to determine what source you were on BEFORE you selected ACM so it therefore stays on AUX when you return and you will have to manually select CD if that was your previous source.

Pricing: As far as I know these are the prices:

$400-$500 for ACM kit including all wiring looms for a factory-like installation.
$300 for the USB kit including all wiring looms
$250-$350 for the DVB-T set top box
$1500 for the side view camera kit

OK so this is a breakdown of all the OEM bells and whistles.

You have another option. There is a german company that makes a unit that sits next to the TCM in the trunk on the MOST bus. It makes as if it is a TV module and you have to code your vehicle to have a TV. It would then route a composite video & audio input to your CID. The nice thing about this is that you still have the assistance window active when you display another video input.

Hope this helps
Can you please list the Part numbers for this?
Appreciate 0