E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Student - Should I extend my warranty for two years?

07-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Question Student - Should I extend my warranty for two years?

Hello everyone,

I'm a student and I currently have an 06' 325i which I adore greatly. I'm coming up on the magical 50,000 miles where upon, my vehicle will no longer be covered.

I called my favorite BMW dealership and the finance department person I spoke with offered me Fidelity Extended Warranty "Bumper-to-Bumper which includes radio/iDrive (which I don't have)". I asked him if they (the dealership) is liable if the 3rd party warranty gives me a run around and he said "Absolutely" which I am hesitant to believe. Though I drive a BMW, and have been responsible (even making greater payments on my car bills), money has been escaping my hands for this year as I got a couple of tickets, in which I had to pay a lawyer, and others I had to get extensions on.

Anyway, at first the warrranty for 2 years / 24,000 mi would be for $3,000~ with 0% financing. Then he lowered it by $300 making it a total of $2700 for the warranty.

I'm wondering if the warranty is worth it for the 325i I have? I mean $2,700 is a good chunk of cash to have in my pocket over two years, in which I'll have already paid off the car and could be using that money for another car or paying off the principal on the car sooner or just have around for unexpected expenses. I take care of my car and I do plan to have my vehicle inspected by a 3rd party mechanic to get a good estimate of where my car stands in health from a respected and knowledgeable source. However, obviously I am not an expert in cars, let alone BMW's and when things go wrong on a bimmer, they can be costly to downright exorbitant.

My car has the Sports/Luxury Package but over the course of my ownership, nothing major has come up as far as I know and any irregular sounds, I report to my Service Adviser with haste so i've been on top of things fairly consistently. My car is no 335i so it's not like I have to worry about the HPFP or Turbos going out... What should I do? Besides sell my car and get a Honda or Toyota :P

I do expect to use my car for up to 2-4 years with another car in mind (hoping for another BMW).

Last edited by e90-ZeRo; 07-01-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

its 325... if you had 335 I'd advise you to get extended warranty in a heartbeat... you should be good... save those extra $$$
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I have basically the same car you do. I'm at 115,000 miles. My car is very reliable, although the AC compressor went at 75,000 miles. I think it failed due to a susbstandard re assembly of the AC system after a collison repair. It was a $2,400 repair at the dealer. Other than that it's been just tire rotations and oil changes. My brakes lasted 75,000 miles, but I don't do much city driving. I'm sure living in So-Cal your car sees more stop and go traffic, but much less road salt. The extended warranty you've been offered seems a bit expensive for the coverage. I'd shop around for a better deal. Why is the dealer not offering the BMW extended warranty package, which goes 7 years and 100,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
its 325... if you had 335 I'd advise you to get extended warranty in a heartbeat... you should be good... save those extra $$$
+2
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
HYEJINLOVE
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4dr

bimmer_335: Have you had any problems with your 335? Really starting to become a bit more curious about this "extended warranty" issue being floated in the forums. THX
Appreciate 0