E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changing oil when warm?

07-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Changing oil when warm?

Hi guys,

how do I go about changing my oil at a shop? I assume it is not safe to change the oil straight after the car has been driven, because the oil is hot, and could burn someone? But waiting for it to cool takes like 1.5 hours, which seems like a lot of time to wait?

So do you wait, or just change it as it is?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Change.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

I like to drain once the oil is warmed up a bit (10-15 min. driving around). On left-hand drive cars, the oil drain plug faces the passenger side of the car. Once removed, oil will shoot out a respectable distance so a big drain pan is advisable.

As you remove the drain plug, wear gloves and use caution as the oil is hot. I like to position my body on the driver's side of the car so oil streams away from my body.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Oil should be changed when it's fairly warm as it'll flow alot better. It's very common to change it warm or hot. How do you think all these quick oil change places like Jiffy lube do it when customers drive in all day?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
As noted oil flows easier when hot but it doesn't need to be on fire when you change it to get 99% of the oil to drain that normally drains. There will always be some used oil that remains in the engine. The only reason for changing the oil when warm/hot is to get as much oil out as practical. Don't burn yourself to change the oil. 10-15 minutes run time is plenty unless it's -40 F outside, then maybe you should drive 15.63389723 minutes.

Just change it and don't even be concerned.
I'm just concerned with arriving at the shop (30 mins away), lifting the car, finding the bolt, loosening it and then hearing "Help! Help!!!! Its soo hot" and having to call an ambulance...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
howie
There's no repalcement 4 displacement except Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, Lexus SC300

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2001 CLK 55 AMG  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
I'm just concerned with arriving at the shop (30 mins away), lifting the car, finding the bolt, loosening it and then hearing "Help! Help!!!! Its soo hot" and having to call an ambulance...
it won't be scolding hot, and if you catch some on your hand it will cool rather quickly. No big deal. Keep a rag handy and don't stand right under the drain plug
      07-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I change mine either Saturday or Sunday morning while the engine is cold then add a half a quart of oil while the drain plug is still off to pick up the leftover used oil.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

The mechanics I know suggest changing the oil when it is warm or even hot to allow more of the old oil to flow out. Any competent shop will be able to change the oil regardless of oil temperature.
      07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
it won't be scolding hot, and if you catch some on your hand it will cool rather quickly. No big deal.
Very, very bad advice.

The oil certainly can be scalding and it will blister skin far faster than you can wipe it off.

Ther shouldn't be a problem with changing oil and not pouring it all over yourself though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
howie
There's no repalcement 4 displacement except Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, Lexus SC300

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2001 CLK 55 AMG  [0.00]
I've changed oil on a regular basis while working at Nissan and I've gotten plenty oil on my hands from pulling the filter (not just the plug) and I've never lost any skin. Of course it's hot, just don't hold your hand under a steady stream of it.
      07-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

haha, the oil will be scalding hot... anyways get it hot, let it cool for half an hour to 45 then do it. You can do it hot just make sure your mechanic wears gloves, a hoody, and has a big ratchet. I've done it, but it's exactly safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
haha, the oil will be scalding hot... anyways get it hot, let it cool for half an hour to 45 then do it. You can do it hot just make sure your mechanic wears gloves, a hoody, and has a big ratchet. I've done it, but it's exactly safe.

You've never changed your own oil before, have you? The oil is warm, but generally its not any hotter than a cup of coffee from a drip coffee maker. I've gotten plenty of oil on me, but I've never been burned from it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrothwell View Post
You've never changed your own oil before, have you? The oil is warm, but generally its not any hotter than a cup of coffee from a drip coffee maker. I've gotten plenty of oil on me, but I've never been burned from it.
Agree with what was said above, trackrat... But to msrothwell?!?!?!?!?!?!? Start your engine for 5 minutes and do an oil change and see if you get burned by touching the supposedly warm oil!!! I've done engine swaps, hundreds of oil changes, brakes, assembled top ends of engines, all sorts of engine gaskets, transmissions servicing, and hundreds of other things. I have a built muscle car!!! Do you even have tools. Plus when doing an oil change depending on exhaust location you definitely have to let it cool off. Filters on some engines are very close to the manifolds or headers. My 325i is easy to do, but you can easily burn yourself unscrewing the drain plug... Ever have an oil temp gauge in your car, that's how hot your oil is!!!

Last edited by E90 87ss; 07-13-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

It is very uncomfortable (and dangerous) working under a "hot" car with hot oil. The only purpose of warming the engine is for oil flow. If you are not in a rush then it doesn't matter. Even when the engine is cold the oil flows pretty quickly, that's why I change my oil when the engine is cold and then use about 1/2 quart to flush the old oil out of there. When I change my oil I don't do it like Jiffy Lube and try to get my car out of the garage in a hurry. While it is draining I check the other fluids, perform a visual inspection, wipe the engine down etc., then put the drain plug back in and refill.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
Agree with what was said above, trackrat... But to msrothwell?!?!?!?!?!?!? Start your engine for 5 minutes and do an oil change and see if you get burned by touching the supposedly warm oil!!! I've done engine swaps, hundreds of oil changes, brakes, assembled top ends of engines, all sorts of engine gaskets, transmissions servicing, and hundreds of other things. I have a built muscle car!!! Do you even have tools. Plus when doing an oil change depending on exhaust location you definitely have to let it cool off. Filters on some engines are very close to the manifolds or headers. My 325i is easy to do, but you can easily burn yourself unscrewing the drain plug... Ever have an oil temp gauge in your car, that's how hot your oil is!!!
Honestly, I've never had a problem. Last time I changed the oil on my other car, a 99 Volvo S70, I drove to the parts store to get the oil/filter/dump old oil, then drove home, immediatly put the car on ramps and crawled under and unscrewed the drain plug. Perhaps in the time between shutting the engine off, getting out and putting the socket on the wrench the oil cooled enough...I don't know. I just know that I've never had any trouble with getting burned by oil from the oil pan.

With that said, the drain plug is generally pretty hot. I use the socket without the wrench to finish unscrewing it.
Appreciate 0