E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extend the Warranty or not?

07-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Question Extend the Warranty or not?

I have 49950 miles on my car. It's bone stock and I basically inherited the car and only had to pay taxes on it. So low cost to me. I definitely plan to keep the car till well over 100k miles. Also the car came with the extended maintenance package so I will be going to the dealer for another 50k for that.

So my question is, do I extend the warranty? The car has had no HPFP issues ever, there were some engine issues when I got it but all problems have been found and fixed (mainly due to under use carbon buildup) and the car has been running solid since. I'm just not sure if I should fork over the money and get the extended warranty or just chance it. Normally I wouldn't get it because I feel it's just trowing away money, however since this car cost me next to nothing I am much more willing to put a few grand into it for the assurance that I wouldn't have to worry about issues down the road. But after saying that, I would only get the power-train warranty and not the gold or platinum ones.

So what do you think? Is it worth it? I could just keep that money in my savings account and let it grow interest and if I need to fix something I have it there but would problems arrise that would cost me more than a warranty? How bullet-proof are the transmissions (auto) on these cars? I know the turbos add some extra wear and complexity that could be a problem but does anyone with high miles care to weight in? BMW's are normally solid cars for years to come, I'm just not sure how well the 335 holds up to that.

I dont intend to upgrade much on the car as it's my baby hauler but a few tasteful mods here and there arn't out of the question.

Thanks all.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm in the same boat except I did have to pay for my car :-P

Dealer is telling me $3400 for the BMW 7 year 100k mile which is basically 2 more years for me at the rate I drive. Right now I'm leaning towards not getting it... $3400 just seems a bit too much. Plus the HPFP should be covered to 120k which would be my biggest concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
im at 45K in three years and thinking I wont get the extended warranty

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Are extended warranty's transferable when selling your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

It's sort of being "between a rock and a hard place". If you spend the $$$$ on an extended warranty, and you never have one problem, then you've wasted all that money. But on the other hand, it's like having that insurance of security in the event that your car breaks down or has a problem.

You may want to shop around to see if you can get a better price.

About 10 years ago, I bought an extended warranty for a Nissan Maxima SE I bought brand new in the summer of 1998. I bought an extended warranty through the credit union where I financed it and their price was pretty reasonable. The only reason I got it was because, in less than two years, the car already logged 30K+ miles. My job was a 60+ mile (30+ to work, 30+ back home) commute and I did that 5 days a week. I also did some long long road trips with it. Some for work and some for vacation. At the rate I was going, I knew the factory warranty would be done way before the 3yr/36,0000 miles so, just to be on the safe side, I got the extended warranty for another 3 years. Luckily, I had no problems with it.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I have 49950 miles on my car. It's bone stock and I basically inherited the car and only had to pay taxes on it. So low cost to me. I definitely plan to keep the car till well over 100k miles. Also the car came with the extended maintenance package so I will be going to the dealer for another 50k for that.

So my question is, do I extend the warranty? The car has had no HPFP issues ever, there were some engine issues when I got it but all problems have been found and fixed (mainly due to under use carbon buildup) and the car has been running solid since. I'm just not sure if I should fork over the money and get the extended warranty or just chance it. Normally I wouldn't get it because I feel it's just trowing away money, however since this car cost me next to nothing I am much more willing to put a few grand into it for the assurance that I wouldn't have to worry about issues down the road. But after saying that, I would only get the power-train warranty and not the gold or platinum ones.

So what do you think? Is it worth it? I could just keep that money in my savings account and let it grow interest and if I need to fix something I have it there but would problems arrise that would cost me more than a warranty? How bullet-proof are the transmissions (auto) on these cars? I know the turbos add some extra wear and complexity that could be a problem but does anyone with high miles care to weight in? BMW's are normally solid cars for years to come, I'm just not sure how well the 335 holds up to that.

I dont intend to upgrade much on the car as it's my baby hauler but a few tasteful mods here and there arn't out of the question.

Thanks all.
Keep in mind the HPFP is already warrantied to 10 years and 120k miles.

There are lots of other things that can go wrong with the N54 though.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

"the past history is the best prediction of future event", by unknown
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
saalim
Non Resident
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Since you plan to keep the car for a long time, I say: Extend.

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Most likely the only major thing that might go wrong is the HPFP, which is already covered. If you were just now buying used, I'd say go with extended warranty. But since you already have the car and are familiar with how it's been cared for, I'd probably skip on the extended warranty. Take that cash and put it in a bond or mutual fund.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I think I'm leaning towards not extending. They always try to get you to pay up and give them money every time I go in for anything. *sigh* I feel like every time I walk out of my house someone is trying to sell me something.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

I'm in the same position. Another alternative is a good third party warranty like Fidelity. They're considerably cheaper and cover basically the same things.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Finally got mine today (4 mos. early). I found out that you do not have to be the original owner, nor does it have to be 45 mos. or 45k.

Best thing was it was discounted--I was having a hard time find a dealership willing to do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
autoaesthetica
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A tin can on boost

I would say go for it. Just like insurance, if you have it, and it covers what would otherwise be a bear to pay for, get it. Think of it as just having to purchase the car for the cost of the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
autoaesthetica
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A tin can on boost

But make sure it covers(literally) your concerns about the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
"the past history is the best prediction of future event", by unknown
I wish I knew who said that.

The fact is that statistically, past observed events have no bearing on the likelihood of realizing any given future outcome.

That said, if your GF cheated on you once, I know for a fact she'll do it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I keep flip flopping. I thought for sure I would get a definitive one way or the other on here but it sounds like it's fairly divided down the middle.

Some more info for you: not that I don't have the money but I just got hit with a huge Tax bill for my rental property that was about 40% higher than I was planning so that's sucking out a bunch of money from my account, then we discovered there is a leak in our master bathroom which is basically filling our basement with the bath water, so thats another expense I have to dish out. And now I got BMW advising me to get the extended warranty. My poor bank account is getting hit from every angle! Not to mention my daughter just started day care and I'm now paying for that!

So how about this: If I don't get the warranty now, go over 50k can I still buy it? Should I expect a prorated price or not? I'm not against getting it but if I don't buy it tomorrow (before I jump over 50k) am I going to miss out completely? I would just like to let my account's dust settle before I go off and drop more cash.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I keep flip flopping. I thought for sure I would get a definitive one way or the other on here but it sounds like it's fairly divided down the middle.

Some more info for you: not that I don't have the money but I just got hit with a huge Tax bill for my rental property that was about 40% higher than I was planning so that's sucking out a bunch of money from my account, then we discovered there is a leak in our master bathroom which is basically filling our basement with the bath water, so thats another expense I have to dish out. And now I got BMW advising me to get the extended warranty. My poor bank account is getting hit from every angle! Not to mention my daughter just started day care and I'm now paying for that!

So how about this: If I don't get the warranty now, go over 50k can I still buy it? Should I expect a prorated price or not? I'm not against getting it but if I don't buy it tomorrow (before I jump over 50k) am I going to miss out completely? I would just like to let my account's dust settle before I go off and drop more cash.
Just as a tip to you that I learned today when I bought the BMW gold, you can wait until the last minute, i.e. the day that your warranty is going to expire--this was not true last year. All they have to do is read your key--but check if they need to see your car. In my case they did not. AND, these plans are discounted.

In my head, all we need are 3 incidents and it will pay for itself. Everything BMW is $1000 if something breaks. Turbos, coils, etc.? I can't imagine paying out-of-pocket. Remember, these are dealerships that routinely charge $200 for a brake flush, sometimes upwards of $150 for an oil change. Imagine what they do when you have something that's broken? But at least you get priority over people that have warranties as you will be paying cash. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #18
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
well I have a CPO I paid for hidden in the pricing of my 06 325xi and It has paid for it self in 10 fold so far.

If your going to keep the car for sure, then it is WORTH it, just compare warranties until you find the best one, price and coverage wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #19
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would say no.
      07-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Finally got mine today (4 mos. early). I found out that you do not have to be the original owner, nor does it have to be 45 mos. or 45k.

Best thing was it was discounted--I was having a hard time find a dealership willing to do so.
Can you tell us who you found that would do the deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Yeah none of the dealers I've talked to seem to want to budge on price.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
I think I'm leaning towards not extending. They always try to get you to pay up and give them money every time I go in for anything. *sigh* I feel like every time I walk out of my house someone is trying to sell me something.
More than likely an 2007 will need to have turbos/wastegates, fuel injectors, and possibly Vanos solenoids before the 100K mile mark. Those parts were upgraded during the the production run.