E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dealer lying about cd changer?

10-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moar View Post

Edit - infact it shocks me that the indys didn't know that you had to add the cd changer into the loop, thats pretty shocking for an indy.
who said they didn't??? The first thing they did was lift the back seat and get to the MOST bus connectors

Also - why are you on here asking questions which you apparently know ALL the answers to??
      10-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Then they didn't wire it up properly if they couldn't get it working.

Didn't know at the beginning of the thread, after heavy duty research and talking to proper BMW techs who ARE familiar with the MOST system it appears this can easily be done by just wiring the block properly and merely selecting the cd changer retrofit on my SSS, which I will show you guys when I receive my interface hopefully on Monday..

However the main question is either use my SSS and choose cd changer or choose ipod.

Or

Use my indy with autologic and select cd changer or iPod.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
i was offering my experiences with it............ the whole point of a forum

and you get arrogant knobs like you

In fact why don't you open your own little Technical Q&A section in the forum as you know more than guys who've worked for BM for years.............

What is all that about!!

To be fair you are the one coming across as a numpty.

He asked a very simple question and one that I would have asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
who said they didn't??? The first thing they did was lift the back seat and get to the MOST bus connectors

No one said they didn't, you were asked and came back with a smarmy reply instead of an answer.

Quite simply they wired the most connector incorrectly.
Or they didn't do the power transfer correctly, where you have to swap pins in the harness and clamp on the old one.

Either way they just didn't really know what they were doing.

None of the guys at my dealership do either.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #26
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

thank god, I thought I was being stupid.

I've now looked into this heavily and I'm confident if you have BMW interface , wire up the cd changer and code it for iPod you will be fine. of that doesn't work then code it as a cd changer and it will work.

you do not need the cd changer to do any coding , it can be done without it.

Last edited by moar; 10-29-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

I was further told that if a CDC has been fitted/attempted to be fitted on another car then it throws a wobbler and usually won't work...............

i bought my CDC on ebay as a brand new in the box unit - and it appeared that way when i got it - but further questioning of the seller showed that he had bought it on ebay also............

and therefore i couldn't verify it was totally brand new OR whether it was being fitted/coded wrong.

either way i gave up before it quickly became a money pit of it costing hundreds and hundreds just for the convenience of a few MP3 discs in the boot...........
      10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What is all that about!!

To be fair you are the one coming across as a numpty.

He asked a very simple question and one that I would have asked.

No one said they didn't, you were asked and came back with a smarmy reply instead of an answer.

the reply was due to me initially giving moar, ability to do a 10 second search of CD changer with my username - which would show the thread showing what had happened - which he didn't bother to do - and then he asked a most basic question about the fitment and then proceeded to insult some VERY capable BM techs, both independent and Dealer...............
      10-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Who are these BMtechs you talk of?

Anyway, this thread has NOTHING to do with fitting a cd changer and getting it going....so why are you even in this thread again?

All you are doing is confusing peoplek, we aren't trying to fit a cd changer, we're trying to code up the prep loom so we can just plug and play ipod interfaces in the back!

Now, we get it, your dealer, bmtech, bmw hq, bmw factory, bmw indys, your mates mates, your 700 years bmw experience techs couldn't get the cd changer to work in your car, we get it! Now stop spamming this thread with your useless irrelavant advice, I am doing my best for everyone here to try and clarify the best , easiest and cheapest way of installing an interface with the idrive and how easily it can be done with the loom in the boot so it is just plug and play. You are doing nothing but causing problems and confusion here for people who don't even want a goddamn cd changer.

So stop spamming this thread.

Last edited by moar; 10-29-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #30
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

i see it as MOST relevant(pardon the pun)

you're trying to do something that perhaps it should or shouldn't do in the car - and you were asking advice upon it....................

i was offering my advice - that in MY opinion - it will just cause you a load of headaches, as it did in my case

my advice was offered and you act like a smart arse belittling people you know nothing about.......... where in fact if you were so smart, you'd have sorted it now, not asking us forum numpties for our opinions...........

Bon soir........ hope it empties your wallet and gets you nowhere(where i had the sense to quit before it cost me much at all)
      10-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok lets leave it at that and wait to see what happens next week when I come to install it.

Everyone else seems to have managed it fine from my research so I'm confident that now I have the background knowledge and some fine guides by fellow e90posters, all should go to plan

So far it has cost me £49. SSS didn't cost me anything and it if needs autologic-ing then that won't cost me anything either but I'll ask him how much it would cost if it wasn't me.

Then we will have a real good solid guide on how to get Dension or ipod interface going for a reasonable amount of money and little faffing

Will wait for my interface to arrive on Monday or Tuesday
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #32
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I really don't get all this!

Is it not just a case of coding the car for a CDC (which if you use the BMW system, you apparently DO need a CDC in the car to do), doing the loop on the MOST bus (which looks like the hard bit) and then plugging in the Denison?

I don't know if Indy's or someone with their laptop can code it without a CDC installed but BMW certainly seem to think they can't. Something to do with their system looking at the car and all it's components; if the CDC isn't one of those components, it won't code the car to think it has one - because it doesn't!
      10-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

With autologic you do not need the cd changer present, same with NCSexpert. I'm not sure with SSS will need to check this.

Another way of doing it is plugging in the interface in the back and choosing the dension or ipod code button instead of the cd changer button.

If you do need the cd changer, will the car not see the interface as a cd changer though, as the interface acts as a cd changer.

I can't answer much untill I get my interface next week. Then all will come crystal clear.

We have a confirmation above that autologic will code the desnion without the cd changer and just the dension plugged in. In theory samew ill aply with the bmw ipod interface in the back aswell.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've spoken with the MOST guy at Sheffield and Wakefield and they've told me they can wire it up and code the car without the cd changer, they won't mind if its there but they will need my ipod interface to make sure they cabled it right.

So no you don't need a cd changer to code . I'm not sure if they will use SSS or ISTA to code though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #35
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
If you do need the cd changer, will the car not see the interface as a cd changer though, as the interface acts as a cd changer.
You'd think, but I seem to remember reading a thread on here where someone just could not get the car to code properly even with the Denisn plugged in in CDC mode or whatever it is. They eventually had to buy a CDC, get BMW to code it, then swap the CDC out with the Denison and it worked. Again, this was through BMW and if an Autologic can do it, then problem solved (in theory!)!
      10-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #36
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
I really don't get all this!

Is it not just a case of coding the car for a CDC (which if you use the BMW system, you apparently DO need a CDC in the car to do), doing the loop on the MOST bus (which looks like the hard bit) and then plugging in the Denison?
yes it is, but in the opposite order to what you said Lol

When i first went to get my dension coded they tried 3 times and could not do it. (i drove an hour to get this!) had to leave with nothing. They put it down to the dension not being connected correctly? I thought surely at least the tab would show up to select it if it was coded but then the unit not actually work if it was wired badly?

Anywhom i came home and re did and tested every connection and made sure everything was OK and went back and this time a different person coded it and it worked straight away

Im not sure weather it was the first person attempting the coding wrong, or weather i had a bad connection on the dension. But id make sure everything is fitted properly before going to code it to save hassle (and money for that matter)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #37
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Was there ever a cd changer involved?

Was it with a dealer or autologic? What did you ask the dealer (if a dealer) to do? Activate the cd changer loom ?

Just browsed my SSS and looked in the retrofit sections, I have the option of either coding iPod or cd changer.

I think I will try iPod first, if that doesn't work then cd changer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #38
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Where are you hooking up the dension??

I always do it behind the head unit, daisy chaining the optical cables from there.
Done a few now and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #39
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Was there ever a cd changer involved?

Was it with a dealer or autologic? What did you ask the dealer (if a dealer) to do? Activate the cd changer loom ?

Just browsed my SSS and looked in the retrofit sections, I have the option of either coding iPod or cd changer.

I think I will try iPod first, if that doesn't work then cd changer.
No CD changer involved. This was an indy with autologic, just asked them to program the dension to the car so they did it through the dension tab
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanHomes View Post
No CD changer involved. This was an indy with autologic, just asked them to program the dension to the car so they did it through the dension tab
Where did you install the dension? The boot or the front?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #41
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Where did you install the dension? The boot or the front?
In the boot. Its pretty straight forward just connect it up, flip the cables behind the seat and make sure the lights coming out of the correct side, and make sure you have a decent power/earth source and job done
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #42
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Right, got as far as getting the top of the MOST block off , tried getting the fibre out but gave up, trying to be gentle as Idon't want to break anything. I lifted the tab at the end of the block but the fibre just didn't want to come out.

Will let peter van do the work on Monday as he's done plenty of cd changer installs and fucked around with these most blocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #43
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I too thought that 'coding' was more or less editing a text config file, normally in German, for whatever CANBUS module you were playing with.
Surely its not any more to it than that?
      10-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #44
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thats NCS expert. NCS expert isn't as straightforward to use as Autologic or SSS.

SSS is the dealer coding software with a proper GUI etc.
Appreciate 0