E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Formula 1 Grand Prix Du Canada 2011

06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #221
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

06-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #222
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I recorded 6 hours of fox and I just watched the race. Wow that was an amazing final 10 laps. That MS MW JB train that went on for a while was crazy exciting with weber making the same mistake twice. It cost him his position against JB the second time. You think that he would've learned.

Schumaker just died tho after he was passed. Did he have something wrong with his car or did he just lose the tires by pushing too hard?

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #223
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

06-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #224
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

JENSON BUTTON, WHAT A RACE

Well done, I only wished he had done one of these in parc ferme. Definitely worth the wait.

06-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #225
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Button was ridiculously fast and dialed in. Would have caught Vettel alot sooner if he wasn't caught behind Weber/MSC for 3-4 laps.

Vettel was his usually b!tch self in the interview.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #226
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Hamilton needs to calm down and focus on his clean drive...and polish his moves...what we've seen in Monaco and yesterday was a bit clumsy and impossible aggressive....

he got so much talent but needs to be polished....sometimes things don't happen as he wish (like stuck in mid-pack)...calm down, patient, and let the thing ride out....he has the faster car...he shouldn't be worried....

Quote:
Lewis Hamilton has admitted he was to blame for his collision with McLaren team-mate Jenson Button at the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Hamilton attempted to pass Button on the start/finish straight, but ended up touching the wall and puncturing his left rear tyre. The stewards said it was a racing incident after race, but Hamilton, who retired as a result, said he had already cleared the air with Button during the long red flag period for rain.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live's podcast: "When they had the long break Jenson came up to the room and just said: 'Sorry about that I didn't see you.' And I said: 'Yeah my fault entirely, I was in the wrong place really at the wrong time,' and that's it. We're good team mates, I think."

He also said he was not downhearted by the result after two disappointing races in a row.

"You know what, I think you make your own luck," Hamilton added. "I feel very blessed to be here still in F1, fit, healthy and alive and still racing. There are many, many drivers that wish they could be in our position. "Of course you could always hope for things to be better, but good times do come to those who wait. So I'll just bide my time and hope that at some stage it will be mine."

Martin Whitmarsh told the same podcast that Hamilton's and Button's ability to put the incident behind them was indicative of their good relationship.

"I think the great thing is that the team spirit and spirit between the two drivers is such that there was no recrimination. Both drivers recognised that it was one of those things and you'll be able to see that there is absolutely no issue.

"It's very easy when team-mates come together like that, of course it's disappointing for the team, but it's very easy for something like that to degenerate into something of a seam between the two drivers, but it hasn't done that and I think Lewis is delighted for the team and delighted for Jenson."

He also said that he would not want Hamilton to drive in any other way.

"I think Lewis is a passionate racing driver and he has to go for those instances," Whitmarsh added. "He's clearly had an unfortunate run whether you look at it statistically or objectively.

"I want Lewis to attack, I don't want him to have contact with cars, but at the same time if you hold back for fear of having contact he will not be the great racer he is, he will not do the job he has to do. He has had an unfortunate run, but I think he will continue to be a very tough racer and I am sure he will have many successes ahead in his career."

But ex-McLaren driver John Watson warned that Hamilton is currently frustrated by not being able to match championship leader Sebastian Vettel.

"Hamilton is very frustrated," he told Talksport. "I don't think he's in a good place in himself at the minute. He thought he could go to Canada and challenge Red Bull but he ended up fifth on the grid and, to me, he's being driven by frustration, not by his race brain.

"Hamilton needs to sit down and think about what he's doing and try to get his season back on track. He thinks he's the quickest guy in a Grand Prix car, and he probably is, and that he should win every race and every world championship. And it's that frustration that's driving him into making these judgements that are getting him into trouble."
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/51584.html
      06-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #227
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

06-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #228
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Hamilton needs to calm down and focus on his clean drive...and polish his moves...what we've seen in Monaco and yesterday was a bit clumsy and impossible aggressive....

he got so much talent but needs to be polished....sometimes things don't happen as he wish (like stuck in mid-pack)...calm down, patient, and let the thing ride out....he has the faster car...he shouldn't be worried....

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/51584.html
Watson's comments are pretty much spot on.

Btw, I was disappointed Schumacher didn't end up with a podium. The DRS kind of screwed him.
      06-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #229
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Webber simply f*ck it up for Red Bull. From a superficial look at the events in the last few laps, it may seem it was Vettel's mistake which cost him the win. But if Webber just stays behind Schumaker until the very last lap, he could keep Button behind both of them.

There is no way Button could get in the dry racing line with two cars in front of him.

I am sure when Red Bull reviews the entire race in detail, they will not be happy with Webber being so impatient.
      06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #230
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Webber simply f*ck it up for Red Bull. From a superficial look at the events in the last few laps, it may seem it was Vettel's mistake which cost him the win. But if Webber just stays behind Schumaker until the very last lap, he could keep Button behind both of them.

There is no way Button could get in the dry racing line with two cars in front of him.

I am sure when Red Bull reviews the entire race in detail, they will not be happy with Webber being so impatient.
Very rarely do F1 drivers sacrifice their own results for the betterment of their teammate. And when they do, it certainly isn't this early in the season and it certainly isn't because of their own choice, good-will, or team spirit unless they are screwed for the rest of the race/season.

Vettel showed a chink in his armor, now the other teams/drivers just need to apply some force.
      06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #231
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
LOL!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #232
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Team orders are allowed in F1 this year. I am surprised Christian Horner didn't give the order to push McLaren back a few points.

This may bite them back if McLaren do come back in the 2nd half of this season.

FYI, the "team" (constructors championship) always comes first. The drivers championship is second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Very rarely do F1 drivers sacrifice their own results for the betterment of their teammate. And when they do, it certainly isn't this early in the season and it certainly isn't because of their own choice, good-will, or team spirit unless they are screwed for the rest of the race/season.

Vettel showed a chink in his armor, now the other teams/drivers just need to apply some force.
      06-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #233
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I don't think there's a need for team orders, even if Vettel didn't win yesterday. It was still a great result for RBR, as they are still pulling away from the rivals in both drivers and constructors championship.

And its still early to place team orders, who knows what will happen in the next 6 months and 12 more races, and 300 more points for the race winner for grab. Don't forget Vettel never took the lead in the championship last year until the checkered flag drops in Abu Dhabi.

Then the media sensation and all the negative feedback for team orders (even if its legal) could bring enough negative image to the team and de-moralize Webber.
      06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #234
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Team orders are allowed in F1 this year. I am surprised Christian Horner didn't give the order to push McLaren back a few points.

This may bite them back if McLaren do come back in the 2nd half of this season.

FYI, the "team" (constructors championship) always comes first. The drivers championship is second.
E90 pretty much answered this for me. Even though team orders are allowed, most teams realize that they leave fans dissatisfied. RBR and McLaren in particular were the most outspoken against their usage. McLaren even after their legalization has said they will still let their drivers race until one is mathematically unable to win the WDC. That doesn't mean they won't use them, but so early in the season there is no need. They typically adopt the perspect of just to let the drivers race, until the time comes when they need to step in.

Also, don't forget that Webber is still not signed for next year and it is presumed that RBR would like to keep him. If they slot him into an obvious support role now, when there isn't even any serious competition for either title then all they will do is push Webber away and have to go searching for another suitable driver.
      06-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #235
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

06-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #236
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
The HRTs and the Virgins needs to be kicked out from F1...that they're so slow and causing accidents....

Quote:
Narain Karthikeyan has reacted angrily to Felipe Massa's claim that he was responsible for the Ferrari driver missing out on a podium at the Canadian Grand Prix.

"The blame game starts when your seat is under threat," Karthikeyan told ESPNF1, making a reference to persistent rumours that Massa could be replaced.

Following the eventful Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday, Massa, who finished sixth, blamed Karthikeyan for causing an accident that dropped him from third to 12th.

"My chances of finishing on the podium and also of fighting for the win just evaporated when I was passing Karthikeyan," he said. "He was going very slowly on the dry line but then, as I was passing him on the wet, he accelerated and I lost control of the car ending up in the wall. I am angry, there is no point denying it."

But Karthikeyan does not agree with Massa's version of events: "I didn't slow down at all. He came really fast behind me. He then changed his racing line, went on the wet part and spun."

Although Karthikeyan enjoyed his best race since his comeback, a post-race penalty for skipping the final chicane saw him demoted from 14th to 17th and admitted, "I was disappointed with the stewards' decision."

The Indian added that he had been taken by surprise when his team fitted slick tyres at the final pit stop rather than intermediates.

"I didn't expect to be called in after having passed Tonio [Liuzzi] with the intermediates," he said. "I wanted to stay out on the same set for a bit longer. However, for whatever reason, the team called me in, put on slicks [without informing me about the change from intermediates to slicks] and from there, I dropped quite a few places.

"I did everything right in the race and managed to overtake Virgin cars as well as Tonio."
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/51588.html

If you see someone coming up fast...that means you're slow and being a backmarker...get the F out of the way!!!
Stop acting like a Prius and hogging the racing line!!!
      06-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #237
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
The HRTs and the Virgins needs to be kicked out from F1...that they're so slow and causing accidents....

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/51588.html

If you see someone coming up fast...that means you're slow and being a backmarker...get the F out of the way!!!
Stop acting like a Prius and hogging the racing line!!!
Absolutely agree. It's absurd to have F1 teams slower than GP2 cars tooling around and causing mayhem to the others. Perhaps they need to change the 107% rule to 106 or 105%
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #238
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Absolutely agree. It's absurd to have F1 teams slower than GP2 cars tooling around and causing mayhem to the others. Perhaps they need to change the 107% rule to 106 or 105%
Or they could just start enforcing the 107% rule...
      06-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #239
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^whs +1
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #240
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Sigh...

I wish they'd leave the rules alone...don't ban blown diffusers in the middle of the year...don't ban f-ducts and replace them with a less elegant, less efficient solution (DRS)...don't make the claim of going "green" with KERS, when they overcharge the batteries to the point that they have to be thrown away after each race...

Finally, bring back different engine configurations, and just make everything equalized by HP/Wt...If I wanted to watch a Spec series, i'd watch Grand-AM or the GT3 Cup.
      06-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #241
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Really Karthikeyan should receive a penalty for that. He was a back marker first and foremost. Which means it is his responsibility to get out of the way of the front runners. He did not do this in the slightest, and not even moving off the racing line under normal conditions is against the rules, let alone when the racing line is the only dry bit of track with everyone on slicks.

The fact that he didn't know or even realize it was time for slicks only seals the deal with his ignorance as a racing driver.
      06-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #242
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I can tolerate Virgin. They are at least legitimately trying to improve.

HRT on the other hand doesn't even have a development center. That is shameful.