E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #5369
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
How many here have ever custom tuned other platforms? With how close the off the shelf maps are, it only costing $500 to get your car custom tuned to your mods is cheap. Especially for a BMW.

T
The plug in tunes also have auto-tuning, which is like "Custom Tune Lite". And it would obviously be worthless to get ATP maps everytime you add/change performance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Does it make a big difference? I've been contemplating getting a custom tune. I'm assuming it doesn't matter what version of ots map you run ( v3 or v4 )?
SkinRock reported gains of 16 WHP/21 WTQ with a custom ATP map (compared against the OTS Sport map he had been using). COBB commented somewhere in this thread that w/ a custom map, there wouldn't be a significant impact if the firmware or OTS maps were updated. That's because the ATP facilities have access to all the tuning variables.

Bottom line: ATP Maps are worth it, but I would wait until I was done adding/changing performance mods to my car. That way the ATP Map are tailored to the mods that you have installed. If you get ATP Maps and then upgrade to RB Turbos, you've just wasted $500 on maps that aren't going to maximize the car's performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #5370
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Flylow335i is talking about ATR
DIY maps FTW
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #5371
Mangler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i, ZHP 330i

Garage List
88 .  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
How many here have ever custom tuned other platforms? With how close the off the shelf maps are, it only costing $500 to get your car custom tuned to your mods is cheap. Especially for a BMW.

T
The plug in tunes also have auto-tuning, which is like "Custom Tune Lite". And it would obviously be worthless to get ATP maps everytime you add/change performance mods.

Quote:
Does it make a big difference? I've been contemplating getting a custom tune. I'm assuming it doesn't matter what version of ots map you run ( v3 or v4 )?
SkinRock reported gains of 16 WHP/21 WTQ with a custom ATP map (compared against the OTS Sport map he had been using). COBB commented somewhere in this thread that w/ a custom map, there wouldn't be a significant impact if the firmware or OTS maps were updated. That's because the ATP facilities have access to all the tuning variables.

Bottom line: ATP Maps are worth it, but I would wait until I was done adding/changing performance mods to my car. That way the ATP Map are tailored to the mods that you have installed. If you get ATP Maps and then upgrade to RB Turbos, you've just wasted $500 on maps that aren't going to maximize the car's performance.
I know what the closed loop feedback "auto tune" features do. The point I was trying to make is that all these people complain about how much it costs to get a custom tune. Go get a custom tune on an older NA BMW and compare the costs and HP gained. Thousands of dollars for 10 to 20 flywheel HP. This flash technology has made it silly how cheap HP is and you don't even have to know how to open the hood.

T
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #5372
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

ATP and ATR will allow you to make great power. I have been tuning as a second job for years on multiple different platforms and have been involved in developing a tune and testing software for this platform. If you have the knowledge go ahead and tune this car yourself. At the track I picked up a substantial mph (clutch was TOAST and my ACT is waiting to go in when I stop being lazy) with a few good logs and modifications to a few tables. If you would be more comfortable with other people who are experienced with tuning go get protuned or find someone on hear to etune / create tables for you to copy into your tables. I know I have a few locals and forum friends that have asked me to do that for their maps when ATR is released.

The n54 is an amazing platform and cobb has created great OTS maps. These maps are perfect starting points to make road tuned maps off of. Better yet - they have created an incredible tool that allows us to change the way the car is run in the dme tables instead of secondary equipment. All the hysteria of "integrated meth control" and blah blah blah is just that - hysteria. Any meth kit can have a fail safe - even with cobb. Just takes someone to not think that e90post users are the be all end all and realize that many more intelligent people have figured out solutions to integrating failsafes with flash tunes that don't have 0-5v inputs.

I run custom throttle mapping so the pedal does what I want it to (it's a mix between linear and stock throttle maps but is designed to make the car react to my foot the way I feel it should), custom timing, tweaks to boost and load, a few limit tables, and a few other tweaks that I'll get into when ATR is released and people ask for help.

Once the DA's get back under 3000 in my area (lol) I'll be back at the track putting up some crazy traps on all season conti dws and no lsd w/ stock turbos
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #5373
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Great post fly low. I love the way my car runs on Cobb but I know theres more power to be had with the car. I think I'll make a appointment at efi for a custom tune.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #5374
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Really wish i had a protuner near jacksonville. Flylow - what kind of torque do you suspect your stock clutch was holding before letting go? I'm running s2+ Agg right now with no issues, but my meth kit is on the way. I am getting a little concerned that Cobbs beta maps might fry my stock clutch..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #5375
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Great post fly low. I love the way my car runs on Cobb but I know theres more power to be had with the car. I think I'll make a appointment at efi for a custom tune.
Save yourself the trip & go to Akuma (Woodbridge, NJ) -- That way I can come watch your ATP Maps get done

**Serious note, if you go to Akuma let me know cause I'd like to see the maps made lol
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #5376
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Does anyone know if I have to completely uninstall COBB for emissions and safety checks ir if I change to map 0 - should it be ok?

I know if I go to the dealer for Emission - I probably will have to uninstall - is it covered under the factory warranty?

Last Question - do you have to run the car with Cobb uninstalled (or on stage 0) for a couple of days to pass emisions or can you do it immediately before the inspection?

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5377
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just put it on map 0 right before the inspection. Are you running catless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #5378
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Anyone?
Some info here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...mp;postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #5379
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you still have your cats, just bring it in to the inspection station; there's no need to do anything. Do not change maps, do not reset adaptations. If you did, drive around for a while to reset your readiness.

If you're catless, you'll need an O2 fix.

If you're going to the dealer, uninstall.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #5380
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Anyone?
If you're running catless DPs, w/ the COBB alone you will not pass an OBD Emissions Testing. The COBB tune w/ catless DPs on Stage 2 prevents any "tuner" related codes from triggering an SES light on your dash.

So if you've got catless DPs in, you'll need a BMS DP Fix to pass an OBD scan. If you've got the OEM DPs/Exhaust in, you'll be fine. I'd switch to Stage 0 just cause I wouldn't want an Inspection Driver abusing my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #5381
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
If you still have your cats, just bring it in to the inspection station; there's no need to do anything. Do not change maps, do not reset adaptations. If you did, drive around for a while to reset your readiness.

If you're catless, you'll need an O2 fix.

If you're going to the dealer, uninstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
If you're running catless DPs, w/ the COBB alone you will not pass an OBD Emissions Testing. The COBB tune w/ catless DPs on Stage 2 prevents any "tuner" related codes from triggering an SES light on your dash.

So if you've got catless DPs in, you'll need a BMS DP Fix to pass an OBD scan. If you've got the OEM DPs/Exhaust in, you'll be fine. I'd switch to Stage 0 just cause I wouldn't want an Inspection Driver abusing my car.
Thanks Guys - I don't have any other Mod other than Cobb yet. I'll likely go to the dealer and get plugs changed at the same time so it looks like I need to uninstall. The dealer is about 45 minutes away, would that be enough time to drive to reset the "readiness" what ever that may be?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #5382
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Readiness wont be affected, you still have factory downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #5383
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Thanks Guys - I don't have any other Mod other than Cobb yet. I'll likely go to the dealer and get plugs changed at the same time so it looks like I need to uninstall. The dealer is about 45 minutes away, would that be enough time to drive to reset the "readiness" what ever that may be?
1st off, if the tune is your only mod, just switch to your Stock Tune (should be saved on your AP) and you'll be fine. No need to waste ~20 mins of your life uninstalling & reinstalling the COBB.

2nd, if you don't have any other mods then you don't have anything to worry about -- You could even uninstall the COBB in the parking lot before your emissions testing.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #5384
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Readiness wont be affected, you still have factory downpipes.
Readiness needs certain behaviour styles I read. in sequence nobody responded as to whether uninstall restores the readiness you had before the install

Last edited by crypticc; 06-11-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #5385
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Thanks a bunch!! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #5386
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Save yourself the trip & go to Akuma (Woodbridge, NJ) -- That way I can come watch your ATP Maps get done

**Serious note, if you go to Akuma let me know cause I'd like to see the maps made lol
Wow they are much closer, but I've Heard nothing about them. Efi seems to have some experience with the n54 from what I can see.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #5387
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Quote:
1st off, if the tune is your only mod, just switch to your Stock Tune (should be saved on your AP) and you'll be fine. No need to waste ~20 mins of your life uninstalling & reinstalling the COBB.

2nd, if you don't have any other mods then you don't have anything to worry about -- You could even uninstall the COBB in the parking lot before your emissions testing.

The AP, when married to the DME, saves a copy of the entire ROM to the AP and also saves it to your HDD when AP manager connects to the AP. Only when unmarrying (uninstalling) does it return the ROM to the DME. A map change to Stg 0 will only place stock-like values in the tables but the AP logic remains. If you suspect the dealership will check/reflash the DME, good housekeeping rule #1 is to uninstall.

If you're worried about emissions testing, stage 0 and 1 won't affect the O2 feedback loop. Stage 2 keeps the CEL off the dash, but the loop is perpetually reset and won't ever read as "ready". This is the primary reason stg2 is stg2, and stg1+ isn't just stg2+ ...

Unmarrying will clear fault codes and subsequently place the DME in an "unready" state. You would have to drive around and put the car through a couple start cycles before all of the checks become "ready".
      06-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #5388
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Wow they are much closer, but I've Heard nothing about them. Efi seems to have some experience with the n54 from what I can see.
Woptang is getting ATP maps made on Saturday & I'm gonna try to go and watch. I sent him my cell & he said he'll text me when they get ready to the ATP maps after his meth is installed. Good opportunity to see Akuma's shop, an ATP Map getting made & the gains of an ATP map over the OTS ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
No problem man. My appointment is for june 16th, which is this upcoming saturday. I have to be there by around 9 am or 9:30am. But the meth is going to get installed first then the dyno tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5389
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr9pticc View Post
Readiness needs certain behaviour styles I read. Not needed in sequence. nobody responded as to whether uninstall restores the readiness you had before the install
Forgot where I found this

Edit: found where
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...27&postcount=1

Elsewhere I saw a BMW warranty claim advice that said lack of readiness is what gets BMW looking more closely for uninstalled tuning stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW FTP72 Drive Cycle Procedure.pdf (212.5 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by crypticc; 06-11-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #5390
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post

Unmarrying will clear fault codes and subsequently place the DME in an "unready" state. You would have to drive around and put the car through a couple start cycles before all of the checks become "ready".
Thanks for the info - how long should the drive be for the DME to be back to ready state, is it # of miles, drive time, start stop cycles???
Appreciate 0