E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Profesional Radio Features

05-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
V15H
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Profesional Radio Features

Hi all,

I have a 2005 E90 320d which came with the Professional radio, the car is fitted with a CD changer in the boot and an aux port in the arm rest. The radio pixels fade as the temperature warms up, so I decided to purchase a second hand unit and swap it over. If the radio needed coding for the CD changer to work my plan was to swap the front displays over as I cannot code the radio myself. Today I recieved a Proffesional radio taken from a 2010 E92.

I fitted the radio this evening and noticed there was the option to change the volume of the gong and PDC, when I clicked on the icon to change the volume of these features the volume of the music increased dramatically. Does this mean the option of changing the volume of the gong and PDC is not available on my car?

Also I pressed the menu button and there was a computer symbol which displayed the temp, mpg etc. Should this be there on the original radio?? I never really played with it as the pixels disappeared so I couldn't see anything. The telephone symbol was there with --, does this mean if I fit a mic it will work?

The sound seems to be better from this radio to, is this just me or did BMW change something?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by V15H; 05-16-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

yes, from menu button of professional radio you have the option to see on r/cd display the board computer details such as temp, consumption etc..(same infos you see in your small display in the instrument cluster)

i am not the expert who could respond at all your questions but i have read that the HU of the lci models were improved than the old ones (better sound quality and extra features).

hopefully a mate will reply to all your questions.
enjoy your new r/cd!
      05-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
V15H
Rep

Used it this morning and the volume of the PDC and Gongs did change, although my car has no gongs!!
If it is a case that BMW did improve the radio on lci models I will need to get it coded to get the CD changer to work. Anybody recommend somewhere where this can be done in the Yorkshire area??
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
V15H
Rep

Ok today I had a chance to compare the sound of the radios and it seems the new one is better so, I'm going to keep the whole unit.
Can someone tell me what the -- means under telephone when menu is pressed? What do I need to do to get my phone to work, I don't have Bluetooth, mic etc.
Also can anybody recommend somewhere up north (Yorkshire) I can get the radio coded in order to get the CD changer to work?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I suspect that -- means not available/not fitted.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15H
Ok today I had a chance to compare the sound of the radios and it seems the new one is better so, I'm going to keep the whole unit.
Can someone tell me what the -- means under telephone when menu is pressed? What do I need to do to get my phone to work, I don't have Bluetooth, mic etc.
Also can anybody recommend somewhere up north (Yorkshire) I can get the radio coded in order to get the CD changer to work?

Thank you.
I have said this multiple times on multiple threads that sound on lci headunits are way better. Both upper and lower end is better.

Have you had telephone before?
Or are you trying to use the phone in your current hu as its already in the menu.
Post a photo of the top label of your lci hu to get more specific response.
      05-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V15H

Thank you.
Where in Yorkshire are you
      05-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
V15H
Rep

I have not had a phone before, I would like to know what is involved for me to use it, as the lci hu has the option in the menu. I will post a picture of the label when I return home.
I'm in South Yorkshire, but I will travel a reasonable distance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
ChazzyD
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

Did you need the head unit coded after you installed it? I have a problem with my Professional unit. Had a guy fit a parrot bluetooth for me and now the radio is playing up. Took all the kit out but still a problem. When I start the car the radio is totally dead. If you up plug it and plug it back in a couple of times it comes back on fully with no problems. Switch the car off and leave it for a few minutes and dead again. Someone mentioned it might be the coding of the car or the BUS or such. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
V15H
Rep

I have not had the radio coded. I plugged it in and it works, I just need it coding to enable the CD changer to work.
See picture below of the new stereo, what needs to be done to allow the telephone to work?

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

If you had the telephone before, then you need coding.

If you never had the telephone, then you will need to add module, BT antenna, cables / wires / Mic and coding.