E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Ipod playback with new CIC software

01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
AndySix
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 325iT M-Sport

Ipod playback with new CIC software

My car is produced 02/2009.

I had my idrive upgraded to "latest version" today. I noted that there are some minor differences in the menu and everything seems ok. But the actual track I play on the ipod just displays as "unknown". In the tracklist all titles are displayed correctly, its just the current playback that is showing as unknown. Also the other area that shows the artist name is just empty.

I have tested both with my iPod Touch (1st gen) and with my iPad. Its the same with both of them. Before the upgrade it worked perfectly.

Anyone else experienced this?

I can supply some pictures if this was unclear
      01-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
My car is produced 02/2009.

I had my idrive upgraded to "latest version" today. I noted that there are some minor differences in the menu and everything seems ok. But the actual track I play on the ipod just displays as "unknown". In the tracklist all titles are displayed correctly, its just the current playback that is showing as unknown. Also the other area that shows the artist name is just empty.

I have tested both with my iPod Touch (1st gen) and with my iPad. Its the same with both of them. Before the upgrade it worked perfectly.

Anyone else experienced this?

I can supply some pictures if this was unclear
Pictures, please.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
AndySix
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Today it changed to display Unknown in the box on top here (the track that is currently playing):

As you can see the tracknames are displayed below, but not in the currently playing box. Very strange..!

Another view:

Apart from that it works fine!
      01-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Does the same thing happens with USB sticks or HDD music?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
AndySix
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

No, HDD music seems fine and also CD. But havent tried USB stick. Will do!
      01-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
tdog4211
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Cool Interesting

Just had my software upgraded as well secondary to a CCC failure and I'm experiencing the same thing. Not a huge fan of the new interface as they added a couple of layers to each menu that make it less efficient.

Also, I can't get my Iphone 3GS to download the contact list/pair permanently. The phone will ring via my bluetooth and can answer a call, but the phone wont show up as paired and I can't view my contact list. When I pair it jusy says "Connecting" but never downloads the contact list... Has anyone had this problem too?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
09Monaco335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yes, I have this same problem. Just had a software update done to my car (2009 E90 335i) this past week.

When a song is playing, artist and album information is not displayed. Album art is not displayed. I'm using the BMW y-cable to connect my iPod classic.

Would love to hear from anyone that might now how to fix this issue. I searched the forum and could not find a solution.

Thanks!
Attached Images

01-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Monaco335i View Post
Yes, I have this same problem. Just had a software update done to my car (2009 E90 335i) this past week.

When a song is playing, artist and album information is not displayed. Album art is not displayed. I'm using the BMW y-cable to connect my iPod classic.

Would love to hear from anyone that might now how to fix this issue. I searched the forum and could not find a solution.

Thanks!
Your MY2009 iDrive is not capable of displaying Album Art with the hardware installed right now.

There have been reports that the latest CIC (2009-on) iDrive update somehow is loading the MY2011.5 version by default, regardless of model year. In other words, the iDrive update is coded to Combox regardless if your vehicle has it or not.

Definitely that happened with your update. You iDrive is coded for Combox hardware -thus Album Art- and not for MULF-Hi which it is your actual iPod adapter hardware installed in your car. And because it cannot get the track information from the module that it is not installed in your car then there is no display of your iPod information.

You need to go back to your dealer for a reflash. This update is incorrect.

Most probably this applies to the OP as well.

The good news is... the Combox can be retrofitted by BMW to any CIC regardless of model year easily if they just want it to.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
09Monaco335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info Technic!

So you are saying I can just ask my dealer to add this Combox component to my system? I assume this is something they would not do for free, but I would have to pay for? I'll give my dealer a call to find out how much this will cost. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Your MY2009 iDrive is not capable of displaying Album Art with the hardware installed right now.

There have been reports that the latest CIC (2009-on) iDrive update somehow is loading the MY2011.5 version by default, regardless of model year. In other words, the iDrive update is coded to Combox regardless if your vehicle has it or not.

Definitely that happened with your update. You iDrive is coded for Combox hardware -thus Album Art- and not for MULF-Hi which it is your actual iPod adapter hardware installed in your car. And because it cannot get the track information from the module that it is not installed in your car then there is no display of your iPod information.

You need to go back to your dealer for a reflash. This update is incorrect.

Most probably this applies to the OP as well.

The good news is... the Combox can be retrofitted by BMW to any CIC regardless of model year easily if they just want it to.
      01-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Monaco335i View Post
Thanks for the info Technic!

So you are saying I can just ask my dealer to add this Combox component to my system? I assume this is something they would not do for free, but I would have to pay for? I'll give my dealer a call to find out how much this will cost. Thanks.
No, what I'm saying is that your current update is defective, your iDrive was not supposed to be programmed and coded for something that it is not included in your VIN or in the option list (VO).

The dealer cannot add the Combox to your 2009 car because they are incapable of performing this retrofit at this moment as it is not an official OEM retrofit. This only proves that the 2009 CIC can accept the 2011.5 software without issues so it could be very easy for BMW to offer a Combox retrofit in the near future if they just want it to.

You need to take you car back to the dealer and request a reload of the correct coding of the iDrive -the software version is correct, but something went really wrong in the update process when the system tried to code that version to your particular VO.

The dealer will tell you that what you are saying is impossible, that their system cannot code something that is not listed in the VO of your car. However the mere fact that your iPod iDrive screen is showing the capability of Album Art when your car VO does not have option 6VC in the VO -it does have option 6FL which does not support Album Art- proves that something got messed up at the dealer programming end.

Just show them that iPod screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
tdog4211
Rep

Technic

As usual, you're spot on. That's exactly what they did. The funny thing is they deleted my Sat radio from the menu and gave me all of these other options I can't use....Guess the question for me is, should I have them reflash to the old software or keep the new software for use with a combox that I may or may not purchase from the dealer (assuming they offer that at some point in the future) or from an aftermarket company... Hmmm..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
09Monaco335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog4211 View Post
....Guess the question for me is, should I have them reflash to the old software or keep the new software for use with a combox that I may or may not purchase from the dealer (assuming they offer that at some point in the future) or from an aftermarket company... Hmmm..
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Perhaps I'll just keep the current software/config in case I want to do the combox retrofit at some point. The current software does allow me to play songs from my iPod just fine in the meantime.

Found this company selling the combox by itself:

http://www.bmwretrofit.com/store/ind...&product_id=68

From what I could tell browsing this forum, they will be offering a complete combox retrofit product soon with all the wiring harnesses, etc that are needed.
      01-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
egash
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328I

New Software Results

Thanks for information guys - helps explain some of my issues as well. I had my MY2009 Car's Software Updated yesterday and am seeing similiar results.

Here's what I've seen:

1) CD - Artist and Album Text fields look normal. However, under Entertainment Details - one of the Split Screen Options - no text is displayed.

2) Radio - Entertainment Details for HDD Radio Stations displays artist, song, etc. just fine

3) Ext Devices - iPod/iPhone - same exact results as those posting above. However, in Entertainment Devices it does display aritst, song etc. just fine

4) Ext Devices - USB - unknown artist like above and also shows no text data in the Entertainment Details

5) HDD - all text data displays just perfect in the Music Collection, however, no text data is displayed in the Entertainment Details

6) Import via USB - not sure it it is related to the Software Upgrade - but my car no longer recognizes that a USB Flash Drive is in the glove box. There is no option to Import via the Options Screen. Note: I can still store music from the CD onto the HDD.

Thanks again for the information sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
As usual, you're spot on. That's exactly what they did. The funny thing is they deleted my Sat radio from the menu and gave me all of these other options I can't use....Guess the question for me is, should I have them reflash to the old software or keep the new software for use with a combox that I may or may not purchase from the dealer (assuming they offer that at some point in the future) or from an aftermarket company... Hmmm..
Because the problem is coding you could contact forum member Patrys so he could try to code your iDrive to your current options so your iDrive can function and display correctly now. The MY2011.5 software itself does not have to be changed; when a definitive Combox retrofit is available then you can code it back to Combox support.

My MY2009 CIC iDrive is being loaded with the same exact software by Patrys so I can retrofit the Combox eventually, but in the meantime I will have it coded to my current non-Combox modules until the full retrofit harness is available or I can build one myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
tdog4211
Rep

Iphone contact list

Is anyone else having trouble pairing their phone or pulling up the contacts via idrive after the update? I can make/receive calls but my phone won't pair and it the contact list won't show. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
egash
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328I

Another Issue

I found one more issue with the new software.

When you push the 'next entertainment source' steering wheel button you get mixed results. Before the update it would simply toggle between radio and whatever the last CD/Multimedia source was used. Still works between HDD and Radio, and CD and Radio. However, now when I toggle from Radio and Aux Input it makes you menu over to Ext Devices and reselect Aux Input. Same problem toggling between Radio and iPod/iPhone - what a pain.

I did find one improvement - you can now save the Random option in one of your 6 memory buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble pairing their phone or pulling up the contacts via idrive after the update? I can make/receive calls but my phone won't pair and it the contact list won't show. Anyone?
That could be a Combox code issue as it also acts as your Bluetooth device. So you could still have Bluetooth connectivity thru your TCU/Assist unit but the iDrive coding can only display Combox phonebook data.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
tdog4211
Rep

Technic,

Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense when you put it together... Now I just need to figure out the combox situation...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
AndySix
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Went back to the dealer today and they reflashed my iDrive so now I am back to the previous look menus. And everything is again working - also the oil level check!

According to the dealer you can not upgrade only the iDrive system (but also includes engine management and so on) and you can not downgrade again. Not sure what they did, but the reflash didnt take so very long. And the system information text does have some (C) 2010 in it, so I'm guessing it is newer than the one I had initially.
      01-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Clark Kent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco, Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Because the problem is coding you could contact forum member Patrys so he could try to code your iDrive to your current options so your iDrive can function and display correctly now. The MY2011.5 software itself does not have to be changed; when a definitive Combox retrofit is available then you can code it back to Combox support.

My MY2009 CIC iDrive is being loaded with the same exact software by Patrys so I can retrofit the Combox eventually, but in the meantime I will have it coded to my current non-Combox modules until the full retrofit harness is available or I can build one myself.
I just picked up my car from the dealership and I'm having the same problem (new menus, gaps in audio functionality (i also can't search for music by artist/genre/etc on either iPod or HDD) and lack of bluetooth functionality).

Sounds like the re-coding thing would be the ideal option but is that a lot of trouble? Would Patrys be able to walk me through it or would he have to actually see the car? I'm leaning toward just going back to the dealer and asking them to re-install the proper software build. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #21
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

From what I'm gathering, since the 2011 CIC i-Drive update is coding MY09 cars as if they are 2011.5 with the combox, it is probably best to stay away from this update until a revision is released? I have an 09 E90 LCI.

FWIW, I was planning on purchasing a generated FSC code, not directly from BMW, although I doubt there's any difference... the problem is it seems the update is coding every CIC i-Drive as if they have a combox... or am I wrong in this observation?
      02-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #22
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

As for the missing information ("unknown") in various tracks, this could also be due to the way your ID3 tags are stored in your MP3 (or other music format files). The ID3 tags contain the music metadata (Singer, track name, title, and loads of othe rinfo)

I had a similiar problem in my 2009 E92 (brand new, no updates) about year back and it was only in some files. From what I know, MP3 files support multiple ID3 tags (v1, v2, v3, etc..) and it seems that the BMW system only supports certain versions. AAC files however only support a single ID3 tag version.
To check if this is indeed the problem, take the original MP3 file that has the problem of missing names, convert the file to AAC (use iTunes or use some tools - search on Google). Now try playing this AAC file, and see if you get the same problem.
If yes, it is your MP3 files that contain mismatched ID3 tags, else the problem is somewhere else.

If you find that your MP3 files are the problem, use some ID3 tagging tools (search Google for free tools) and run your entire MP3 collection through these tools to correct the ID3 tags.

I have now switched to using AAC files always and it has never been an issue for me since then.

Hope it helps...