E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Possible solution for centre vent rattle?!

06-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Possible solution for centre vent rattle?!

hi all, My e90 had recently developed at rattle from what appeared to be from the vents on the centre of the dash. So me being me I would be driving along doing my nut pushing and prodding at the dash trying to find where the problem was. My partner is sittin in the back at the moment with our 3 week old daughter which was probably best as she doesnt understand why rattles get on my tits so much! Anyway I popped out myself this morning and no rattle? Thought my luck was in and the rattle fairy had been in and taken my worries away! Popped out this afternoon with the missus and the little one and back came the rattle! Driving along and I was about to start pushin at the dash again when I noticed that when I got in the car this morning I turned the switch for the centre vents off. Its only been since the hotter weather that I've started using this direction of air circulation I usually just have it blowing on the windscreen. So switched the centre vents back off and bye bye rattle!!!!!!!!!! Now the only problem is will I risk takin it to the stealer to have it fixed because it must be the mechanism that shuts the airflow off thats causing the problem! They wont fix it and everything will rattle when I get it back! Anyway sorry for the big story but I like reading other guys when they tell stories, its more interesting. Maybe this might be of help to someone

cheers

mikey
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I thought the same Mikey, I actually took the centre section out (actually quite easy to do, apart from the buttons in the centre, very fiddly to plug back in but get there eventually).

The vents hang on to the panel and the plastics seem to creak quite a bit, so WD40'd them and it went away.

But the main one remained until the Mrs realised it was actually the rear view mirror surround plastic (it was reverberating off the dash).
Appreciate 0