E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > help me upgrade my car!

01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
lukernie55
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

help me upgrade my car!

i recently just got a 2006 325xi and i want to get some upgrades to it. i have a couple hundred to spend but im not sure what to get first. this is my first car so i would appreciate some suggestions. i was thinking some new headlights but im really not sure yet. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukernie55 View Post
i recently just got a 2006 325xi and i want to get some upgrades to it. i have a couple hundred to spend but im not sure what to get first. this is my first car so i would appreciate some suggestions. i was thinking some new headlights but im really not sure yet. thanks
do u want performance first or do you want exterior looks?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
lukernie55
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
do u want performance first or do you want exterior looks?
it really doesn't matter to me. i just want some suggestions from experienced owners
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300

Its his first car plus its a 325.

I would suggest do exterior mods and dont worry about performance...
      02-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

From a NA owner to another I suggest you just do cosmetic mods since not much we can do with performance. I have nothing against going performance but you would need deep pockets to see gains.

In my opinion, buy some rims, coilovers, new bumpers, sideskirts, black kidney grills, etc. But if you want sound then I suggest an exhaust, intake, and for performance go for a real tune or for a cheaper route piggy back tune (BMS PBX), and that's about all I can suggest.

By the way enjoy your car
      02-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Congrats on the first car, I'm a little older and my first ride was an 87 dodge shadow with a 2.2 turbo. I digress... But everyone is right, stay away from engine more, not much you can do. But that doesn't mean you can't get some suspension mods but they may be a little pricey for coils and stuff.

If no suspension, go with black kidney grills, a light tint like 35 or 50%.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukernie55 View Post

A couple of hundred bucks....this is what I did with my past 2006 325xi.....

1. Muffler delete....buy some nice tips for the rear...I went with a dual magnaflow on the one pipe. About $150-200
2. If you have a manual and sport package.....get the M3 or M teck steering wheel from the guy off of ebay from Europe. This will be about $250-$300..worth every cent and he provides fast shipping from his country!
3. Get a matching short throw shifter from BMW (Tischer or Reeves) that matches the steering wheel. I got the dimpled M knob. About $140

Treat your ears and hands to some nice mods that are much cheaper than a new set of rims. Being a 325 you can mod some for more HP, but it will be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
From a NA owner to another I suggest you just do cosmetic mods since not much we can do with performance. I have nothing against going performance but you would need deep pockets to see gains.

In my opinion, buy some rims, coilovers, new bumpers, sideskirts, black kidney grills, etc. But if you want sound then I suggest an exhaust, intake, and for performance go for a real tune or for a cheaper route piggy back tune (BMS PBX), and that's about all I can suggest.

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post

This is pretty much it. I made a whole complete list of mods for my 328 and along with these - cosmetics wise - you can also get window tints, roof/hood wrap, led angel eyes and interior lights, splitters, blacklines, aluminum sport pedals, and carbon fiber trim wrap seems to be popular too. Each of those isn't more than a couple hundred at most. I think I calculated the total cost of all the mods to "complete" the car costing around $12k, so if you've got the mod bug then your work is cut out for you for the next few years .. Although if you don't see yourself keeping the car (very) long term it probably isn't worth investing a whole another "half a car" into it lol. Just prioritize the mods you want and start at the top, work your way down. And have fun with it - enjoy your car. Nice ride, btw

Last edited by Kalidian; 02-07-2013 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0