E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > SES light after BMS n55 stage 1 install

08-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

SES light after BMS n55 stage 1 install

I have a 2011 e92 msport and the only mods are the BMS air intake, which I've had for a while with no problems. Added the BMS Stage 1 last week and the SES light came on. Car runs fine, no issues at all, just have the SES on the dash.

Anyone know if the SES will disappear on its own after the car adapts, or do I need to have this cleared?

I've done a good bit of searching, but everything I find is JB4 related. I can't seem to find anything related to the BMS Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Pull the codes. It is impossible to diagnose anything over the internet without knowing what codes the car is throwing.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

did you connect IAT sensor back,?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailpersia
did you connect IAT sensor back,?
There were only 2 tmap connections, and then connecting the original plugs into the harness as well. The SES light might not even be related to the Stage 1. I'm going to take the MAF sensor off and clean it as well to see if this helps.

Also going to get codes pulled.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

**Update.

Went to Auto Zone yesterday and they pulled the following codes: P0108,
P112F, and P12A5. The guy was able to clear P0108, which took the SES light off. However, the other two codes would not clear. Wondering if these are related to the exhaust mod in the trunk (disconnecting the line to keep both exhaust flaps open)?

Again, car runs fine and the SES light did not come back on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
WiL335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe Alpine White

The rest are tuner detection codes. I had it before and when I hooked up my laptop to the JB4 to read the error codes, it says to ignore it. So I deleted it and set JB4 to auto clear. I read somewhere that any serious check engine light problem will still be displayed on your dash as SES light. So now I just left the JB4 to auto clear.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiL335i
The rest are tuner detection codes. I had it before and when I hooked up my laptop to the JB4 to read the error codes, it says to ignore it. So I deleted it and set JB4 to auto clear. I read somewhere that any serious check engine light problem will still be displayed on your dash as SES light. So now I just left the JB4 to auto clear.
Thanks.

Next day, the SES light came back on. I'm thinking the MAP sensor may be bad. I'll have to read codes again and see if P0108 has come back.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You sure the sensors are seated correctly?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
You sure the sensors are seated correctly?

Mike
Yes, I've triple checked them. I also removed the piggyback a few days ago and the car continues to drive fine, but the SES light is still on. I just wanted to see if this would make a difference. Gas mileage is still good as well.

I need to get the codes read again without the piggyback and have the SES cleared and see what happens.

P0108 code seems to be the issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I xDrive

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Hey man, any luck?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburn
Hey man, any luck?
Haven't had a chance to have the codes read again and cleared. Took the Stage 1 off almost a week ago and as I've stated before, the car drives fine, gas mileage is normal, not making any funny sounds or anything.

The P0108 code says it could be a bad MAP sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere. I'm thinking of taking the sensor out and cleaning it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Do you have the stock charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburn
Do you have the stock charge pipe?
Yes. I've looked it over and it seems fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #14
cburn
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iM-Sport View Post
Yes. I've looked it over and it seems fine.
Hrm. That'd be my guess. Sorry I couldn't help man, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I took the charge pipe off and could not find any cracks or weakness anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You need to read the code.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

I have the same code, P112F.

I chime in every time I see this code pop up on the forum… this problem has plagued me for some time (along with P28A0).

The only mod I have on the car (2011 N55) is an Injen intake. I had recently flashed to Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive, but that threw the SES light. Flashed back to stock, and the light is still present. Same as every other time I’ve tried.

I see that there is some play where the charge pipe connects to the throttle body. I’m going to install the VRSF charge pipe this weekend and see if that helps, maybe check and make sure the sensors are clean… It’s pretty frustrating that this is so difficult to identify. Seems like even dealers are unable to provide a diagnosis and solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
I have the same code, P112F.

I chime in every time I see this code pop up on the forum… this problem has plagued me for some time (along with P28A0).

The only mod I have on the car (2011 N55) is an Injen intake. I had recently flashed to Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive, but that threw the SES light. Flashed back to stock, and the light is still present. Same as every other time I’ve tried.

I see that there is some play where the charge pipe connects to the throttle body. I’m going to install the VRSF charge pipe this weekend and see if that helps, maybe check and make sure the sensors are clean… It’s pretty frustrating that this is so difficult to identify. Seems like even dealers are unable to provide a diagnosis and solution.
UPDATE: I took my car to a local Indy 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately, his reader is not the most up-to-date. But he was still able to provide some info and clear the codes and the light.

That being said, a few days prior to taking it, I plugged the exhaust actuator in the trunk back in just to see if that made a difference, with the light, which it didn't. However, the Indy cleared the codes, and the SES light has not come back on. One of the things he told me was the code indicated Exhaust Flap Disconnect. So, that has to be the actuator in the trunk. What I did last week was the golf tee mod, leaving the actuator connected. SES light has not come back on. (on another note, the actual golf tee mod makes the exhaust louder than disconnecting the actuator in the trunk, no doubt about it, the difference is evident).

He also told me to check the charge pipe, which I did. I actually took it off and inspected it and couldn't find any obvious cracks (did this prior to taking the car into the Indy). Also, when I took it off it didn't seem as if is was seated all the way onto the throttle body connection. Well, I ordered a VRSF charge pipe, which should be here tomorrow. My plan is to install it, and drive a week with it on. Then, after a week, if I don't get any codes/lights, I think I will re-install the BMS Stage 1 and see if it makes the SES light come back on.

If the SES light comes back on, then I will uninstall the BMS Stage 1 and just leave it off. At this point, it would seem that this is the likely culprit and maybe there is something just hokey with my car and the Stage 1? We'll see...
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
UPDATE: I took my car to a local Indy 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately, his reader is not the most up-to-date. But he was still able to provide some info and clear the codes and the light.

That being said, a few days prior to taking it, I plugged the exhaust actuator in the trunk back in just to see if that made a difference, with the light, which it didn't. However, the Indy cleared the codes, and the SES light has not come back on. One of the things he told me was the code indicated Exhaust Flap Disconnect. So, that has to be the actuator in the trunk. What I did last week was the golf tee mod, leaving the actuator connected. SES light has not come back on. (on another note, the actual golf tee mod makes the exhaust louder than disconnecting the actuator in the trunk, no doubt about it, the difference is evident).

He also told me to check the charge pipe, which I did. I actually took it off and inspected it and couldn't find any obvious cracks (did this prior to taking the car into the Indy). Also, when I took it off it didn't seem as if is was seated all the way onto the throttle body connection. Well, I ordered a VRSF charge pipe, which should be here tomorrow. My plan is to install it, and drive a week with it on. Then, after a week, if I don't get any codes/lights, I think I will re-install the BMS Stage 1 and see if it makes the SES light come back on.

If the SES light comes back on, then I will uninstall the BMS Stage 1 and just leave it off. At this point, it would seem that this is the likely culprit and maybe there is something just hokey with my car and the Stage 1? We'll see...

I know this thread is super old, but I wanted to know if you ever found out what was causing the SES light to show up? I'll send you a PM too.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #20
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post

I know this thread is super old, but I wanted to know if you ever found out what was causing the SES light to show up? I'll send you a PM too.
If I remember correctly I uninstalled/reinstalled and had no issues after that. Ran it about a year and the CEL never came back.
Appreciate 0