E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod Cable question

08-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
and1bball919
It's not just about horsepower, but how powerful your horses are.
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG Delivery truck

Ipod Cable question

I have just purchased my e90 and want to know where i cant find that cord that plugs my ipod into my aux and also will it work. My car is non i drive. so yea thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
needabmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi TI/SP/PP/NAV/Blue

I am also looking for a cable that plugs from my ipod's docking input into the e90's aux jack with a charger. PLEASE HELP Oh, I have NAV
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by needabmer
I am also looking for a cable that plugs from my ipod's docking input into the e90's aux jack with a charger. PLEASE HELP Oh, I have NAV
You need one of these to charge the pod and access the line out .. plus a 3.5mm male to male stereo cable (i.e. a cable with a headphone jack at either end)

http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651735
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
and1bball919
United_States
Rep

for him yes for me no
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Yeah, pretty much you too .... the monster charger has the 3.5mm jack connected to the line out. Much better sound quality than if you just plug headphone jack to the aux in jack. And you get the added benefit of having it charge and pause your ipod when the car turns off.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Joker
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
I'm using the belking iPod adapter and it works very well. Highly recommended!

08-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
and1bball919
United_States
Rep

where does the ipod connect to the belkin? Is it wireless and whats the black cord called??
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Male to Male cord, plug one end into I-Pod, the other into the auxillary plug in your middle console. Put radio on auxillary mode, and play I-Pod. You will not be able to recharge the I-Pod in this configuration, but it will play. Male to male cord can be purchased in Radio Shack.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Joker
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
The iPod is connected to the Belkin via the dock connector on the iPod. Then there is a 3,5mm male to 3,5mm male audio cable that connects the Belkin to the cars AUX IN. The belkin has an amplifier build is so the sound quality is as good as a CD. The iPods battery is also charged when the engine is running so there is no need to remove the iPod for charging.

To play music just select AUX on your radio and then select the music from the iPod. You can also use a remote and place it on your steering wheel etc. if you want to "hide" the iPod inside the armrest... I use a Griffin air click remote for this purpose.

The Belkin can be bought here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Here's a link for the remote
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

Here's a photo of the remote in my car...
      08-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
drcain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Nissan 350z - Daytona Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedbimmer
how is the sound quality? does it sound like its a CD? is it really this simple because alot of members on here are talking about a ipod interface thing! i have no idea! and do you see a display (if you have idrive)? Thanks!
Sound quality is subjective, but I'd suspect a male-to-male stereo cable would be the lowest sound quality, but is clearly the easiest and cheapest solution. It's only a simple $3 cable. (No display on iDrive, and no steering wheel controls to control ipod)

"Possibly" better sound quality would be connecting something to the docking station (like the belkin unit described by joker) and then connecting that to the aux input via the same 3.5mm cable mentioned above. For the cheap/simple solutions I like this one best since (as mentioned) it charges the ipod and if you do want the remote, that's an option. (No display on iDrive, and no steering wheel controls to control ipod)

But the best sound quality would be the iPod adapter that the dealer can install where the ipod sits in the glovebox and connects to a docking station. So this ipod adapter has the better audio connectors (via the docking station and not the aux input), and can be charged, and keeps the ipod outta sight, AND can be displayed on the iDrive screen if you have that (displays on std radio display if you don't have iDrive), AND you can control the iPod by the steering wheel controls. All this for $250-$400 for the adapter, plus another $100 - $150 for dealer installation. So pricey, but it seemlessly integrates the ipod into the car audio system just like a built in cd changer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Beemer/Bimmer Fanatic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 w/Euro Delivery

I know a lot of people have already responded...but here is my 2¢:
I think that the aux input sound quality just using a male to male 2.5mm stereo audio cable will sound just as good, if not better, than listening to the iPod with stock apple headphones. Instead of using headphones you are using a high quality sound system inside a perfectly (IMHO) insulated-acoustic machine. So CD sound quality? I think it is great..but of course it is up to the "ear" of the beholder.

In my truck I use the Belkin auto kit (it works and sounds great), but to keep the set up tidy I permanently wired the power and audio input under the center console...so all I have showing is a few inches of the dock connector cable going to my iPod (the rest is all hidden).
Appreciate 0