E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread

08-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #89
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Waiting for T on that one. I've never installed those.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #90
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
This sounds like exactly what I want....a bit more clarity and depth in my L7 system. I already have a trunk sub so I think this will satisfy my needs. Definitely going to spend my tax return money on this

Do you guys suggest putting in a dedicated midbass driver under the seats? Or just powering the stock L7 woofers off the MS-8?

I've been reading through the thread but haven't gotten to far yet so sorry in advanced if this has been covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #91
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Waiting for T on that one. I've never installed those.
Well i will report back on that in a week or two (gotta get my hands on them first and then find time to tackle it....)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #92
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
Well i will report back on that in a week or two (gotta get my hands on them first and then find time to tackle it....)
Are you talking about the Kicker SSMB8? Or the Earthquake SWS-8?

There is a pair of SSMB8 for sale in the FS section right now for only $100. Technic has these installed and seems very happy with them.

If it were me, for starters, I would use the MS-8 to power all the stock speakers and install a corner-loaded enclosure in the trunk for optimized space and sound. VP Electricity is your guy for the equipment.

You would be surprised at the amount of power the MS-8 ICs generate (in combination with the very efficient L7 stock speakers). I was going to use a bunch of amps too, but now I have no further use for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #93
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

Did you get the echo on speakerphone with the MS-8 resolved?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #94
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Are you talking about the Kicker SSMB8? Or the Earthquake SWS-8?

There is a pair of SSMB8 for sale in the FS section right now for only $100. Technic has these installed and seems very happy with them.

If it were me, for starters, I would use the MS-8 to power all the stock speakers and install a corner-loaded enclosure in the trunk for optimized space and sound. VP Electricity is your guy for the equipment.

You would be surprised at the amount of power the MS-8 ICs generate (in combination with the very efficient L7 stock speakers). I was going to use a bunch of amps too, but now I have no further use for them.
The SSMB8... I ended up buying them from i guess another guy in the classifieds section...sorry... That was a couple days ago..same price.....Sorry....

For corner loading... I just don't want to deal with the height .... Trying the flat box.... We will see if i can tolerate it.... Plus i have meth in passenger side corner.... Need to be able to get to that.....

Hmmmmmmm..... We will see.....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #95
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post
Did you get the echo on speakerphone with the MS-8 resolved?
No. I am planning on recoding my HU to Hifi and use the balanced inputs into the MS-8. This will be a cleaner signal, eliminate the popping, and - cross my fingers - eliminate the echo problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #96
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
For corner loading... I just don't want to deal with the height .... Trying the flat box.... We will see if i can tolerate it.... Plus i have meth in passenger side corner.... Need to be able to get to that.....

Hmmmmmmm..... We will see.....
You know you can get one for the driver side as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #97
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I like the SSMB8 a lot as midbass drivers, they hit hard and smooth at the same time, no "plop", no "thump". Now, with the MS-8 my trick is calibrating with a particular gain on my amps as the MS-8 is very sensitive to the gains and the calibration volume. My xover setting is 150Hz/12dB slope between the the front door components and the SSMB8 (front 2-way in the MS-8).

My setup balances the midbass level with the sub in the trunk so the overall bass is leveled from rear to the front.

With the bit one.1 that I used to have I noticed that the gain of my PDX for the SSMB8 was considerably lower than the gain set for the SWS-8. But with the MS-8 I have to increase the gain almost to the same level (nominal) as the SWS-8 while the rest of my channels have the gain set to minimum. The MS-8 somehow reduces the midbass output after calibration regardless on the volume that I use, but I can get it back by adjusting the gain. The sub output is so strong regardless of the calibration volume that both the amp gain and the actual subwoofer output level in the MS-8 need to be set at minimum.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #98
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The MS-8 somehow reduces the midbass output after calibration regardless on the volume that I use, but I can get it back by adjusting the gain.
How does it measure - have you RTA'd it? just wondering what the curve is... and have you tried the EQ curve control on the MS-8?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #99
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How does it measure - have you RTA'd it? just wondering what the curve is... and have you tried the EQ curve control on the MS-8?
No RTA yet... this looks to me like an output level issue and not a midbass range level (hole) issue. As in full 2.8V goes to the sub range and perhaps 1V goes to the midbass range, so once the gain of the amp midbass channels is raised the midbass is back in full force without having to use the EQ.

I don't know of any other trick to get the midbass at the same level as the rest of the system without using the amp gains but the midbass is indeed there.

And I don't use the EQ too much as it is an overall system EQ (as opposed to the bit one.1 EQ per channel, that was really great), so if I raise any of the common frequencies between the sub and the midbass then the sub level again overcomes the midbass. The base line EQ after calibration is pretty good for me so I learned to calibrate with the gains only. And so far the more calibrations with different gains and volumes I do the better it sounds to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #100
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

JBL says that it's not eq-ing all channels, it's deciding which channels to EQ to arrive at your requested curve.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #101
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
JBL says that it's not eq-ing all channels, it's deciding which channels to EQ to arrive at your requested curve.
That's what I thought but it sure it isn't...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #102
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

T, can you please post your system so I can include it in the OP? I have a pretty good idea what it is but I don't want to make any assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #103
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
T, can you please post your system so I can include it in the OP? I have a pretty good idea what it is but I don't want to make any assumptions.
Front: Morel Hybrid Ovation
Rear/sides/center: OEM Individual Audio
Underseat: SSMB8
Trunk sub: ID10 (VP Electricity corner enclosure)
Amps: PDX-5 and PDX 4.150 (8-channels used out of 9 total)
Processor: MS-8
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #104
el1818
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Any got an installed picture?
mine is with logic 7 and cd changer.
where do you place the ms 8?
also what about the oem logic 7 amp?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #105
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1818 View Post
Any got an installed picture?
mine is with logic 7 and cd changer.
where do you place the ms 8?
also what about the oem logic 7 amp?
Below is a pic of mine. The only suitable place I found was in place of the CD changer, above the L7 amp. I did not have a CD changer so I had to buy the trim panel. Works great in this location, totally stealth and no heat issues whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #106
el1818
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Weird, This was just launched not too long ago and i am seeing few people are selling off theirs at private sales section.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #107
325xi-06
manifold conversion 325/330
Faroe Islands
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06

hi guys. i am about to buy new under seat sub. because one is blown, and thought that i might upgrade the rest as well.

from what you guys know. what do you recommend for me ? sws-8xi or ssmb8
rainbow or Morel Hybrid ? these are just names that i have found here on the forum.

please set up a good system for me..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #108
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi-06 View Post
hi guys. i am about to buy new under seat sub. because one is blown, and thought that i might upgrade the rest as well.

from what you guys know. what do you recommend for me ? sws-8xi or ssmb8
rainbow or Morel Hybrid ? these are just names that i have found here on the forum.

please set up a good system for me..
This is probably not the right place for that. Just post a new thread, and give some information on your audio system (base, Hifi or L7) as well as what your expectations are as well as your budget, and I'm sure you will receive plenty of help.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #109
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1818 View Post
Weird, This was just launched not too long ago and i am seeing few people are selling off theirs at private sales section.
An online retailer had a private sale coupon which allowed you to get them at a ridiculous price, so some people bought extras and are selling them. It's not due to selling it due to displeasure that I've heard of. Sales over now...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #110
oca123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: db9, e92

Right, amazon had a coupon. I personally would not sell my MS8. If something better came out, I would put the MS8 in my wife's car, and if something else came out then, I would still keep the MS8 because it's a great device

For the underseats, you should PM VP Electricity above.

Technic, have you RTA'd it by now? I have the same issue. I have a BSW enclosure+10 inch sub in the trunk with a rockford punch 200 amp (and I highly recommend it - sounds great) and a MS8 driving a Caliber Venom 6-channel amp, in a european e92, hifi system.
Since I had plenty of bass, I did not want the SWS8s so VP hooked me up with some Morel underseat woofers that I wanted to use as midbass drivers. I think they are ADMW 9s but I may be wrong. I kind of struggled with the installation at first (the dimensions of my car seem to be different than most - it was a german dealership-owned demo car apparently so that could be the reason?) but I took out the enclosures and dug them out a little big with a dremel just like you would for a SWS8 and they fit perfectly.

Anyway - I set the gains on the Venom amp to about 1/4th to do a test run, and I could barely hear the Morels. I am guessing that I'm experiencing hte same issue - the Venom amp has plenty of power, definitely more htan enough to power the Morels. I will try to set the gains to minimum and the gain on the Morels to 1/4th of a turn, then once the calibration is over I will raise the gains and report back. If that doesn't work I will try again with the BMW stock underseat woofers.

Could it be an issue because the Morels are 4ohms, while the rest of the outputs are at 2Ohms?

Picture of the install - excuse the quality. I have since redone the layout on the rack and painted the Amp black (the orange was too tacky) - I was able to bolt the rack to the backseat so it stands vertically - more pictures to come.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0