E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friend says he will never buy bmw because of my 328i

05-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

most hyundais and kias are ... hyundais and Kias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I was just going to say most Hyundai and Kia have more standard options
JK, honestly my wife has a '11 Sonata turbo and it is very nice. But there is a huge quality difference between hers and mine. If you are concerned with features, dont buy the base model?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #46
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
BUY USED!

a year ago, i picked up a 2009 335XI fully loaded minus NAV. It has 8400 miles on a 3 year old car! And the price was $33000. The sticker price was above 50k new. Ill gladly save that kind of cash for 8k miles. The only feature I did not get was the nav. (and it had 335i sport wheels on it, but i dont think the dealership realized this, their loss!).
That doesn't really change anything you have to compare it to s used Japanese luxury which is still much cheaper
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #47
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
He says they cheap out on things like standard nav system, blue tooth, leather seats and hids.
Is BMW cheaping out by not including these as standard or is your friend cheaping out by not being willing to pay for them?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
Is BMW cheaping out by not including these as standard or is your friend cheaping out by not being willing to pay for them?
I'd say BMW is cheaping out. If you look at these cars you will notice most the hardware is there but they leave out a wire or something
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

this is like comparing a android phone to an apple iphone. one has tons of different phones with lots of standard features, the other perfects the product. yes iphone has less features but what it does is alot smoother and more reliable than what android does.

btw, this comming from an android user.....

if you want features, get a kia/ford/etc, if you the driving experiance, buy german......

japs/americans/ausis/martians still cannot perfect the driving experiance that germans provide. they gave up and now attract buyers with features........

Last edited by racermp; 05-02-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #50
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
most hyundais and kias are ... hyundais and Kias.

JK, honestly my wife has a '11 Sonata turbo and it is very nice. But there is a huge quality difference between hers and mine. If you are concerned with features, dont buy the base model?

OP your friend sounds like a tool, no offense. We are not buying these cars because of the features they have or have not, but because of the driving experience.

Just like the commercial says "ultimate driving machine" not "ultimate technological car"

Who gives a F**k if you have a 3 tb hard drive for mp3s how does the fucking car drive and make you feel in the process.

Additionally luxury cars come with less standard. I don't think you can consider an infiniti a real real luxury car. Its a luxury like car...... you feel what I'm saying. No one in a first world country has ever said holly shit he drives an Infiniti! But for some reason its the German makes that get peoples attention or are the starting point.

I hate threads like this. Class is class and some just don't understand it because they don't have any........
      05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #51
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtamms View Post
My 328i base compare to my previous Lexus & Acura is a downgrade for me in terms of standard features. I just want to try BMW anyway & one thing I can say...although the BMW base is not as good as the Lexus & Acura base...BMW is fun to drive & thats what made me decide to pay off my car which I didn't do on my previous cars.

Bingo! We have a winner!!! You my friend get a chicken dinner!
      05-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #52
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

BMW is one of the most profitable car companies in the world. In the last decade, BMW seems like it is driven more by the accounting department than the engineering department. 07's and 08's have several features than 09's+--heated/cooled drink holder in the dash, covered coin tray, less plastic, etc.

The reality is that BMW is not going to give anyone anything for free, unless they have to. Bimmers are still selling like hotcakes, so don't think for a second that they will offer more standard equipment for nothing.

And as many have said, buying used is the way to go unless you are doing ED, when you can save 12-13% from the MSRP.

And for those mocking Hyundai/Kia, you'll be eating your words soon. They probably represent the most remarkable turnaround in the auto industry in the last two decades. Once considered shit, not any more. And BTW, the Kia Optima has better styling than the E90 sedan. :P
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #53
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
this is like comparing a android phone to an apple iphone. one has tons of different phones with lots of standard features, the other perfects the product. yes iphone has less features but what it does is alot smoother and more reliable than what android does.

if you want features, get a kia/ford/etc, if you the driving experiance, buy german......

japs/americans/ausis/martians still cannot perfect the driving experiance that germans provide. they gave up and now attract buyers with features........
I don't know if I should take this srsly or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #54
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328it

OP, as you can see the majority of the posters here will defend BMW regardless of what is wrong with the car or brand. Go to any board and post the same question: "My friend will not buy my (insert car here) because of (insert "issue" here)" and you'll get the same general responses defending that brand.

There are things BMW can work on, and I agree with your friend, to an extent. We bought our 328i because of the brand, the overall driving experience and the refinement of the car itself. Of course you have to pay to play and there were other considerations that we took.

If you compare apples to apples, you will find that there is less available at the same price point than it's comparable counterpart. so what is it that you're paying for? Is it the heritage? Is it for the reliability? Is it for this "ultimate driving experience" that BMW has touted over and over again? That is ultimately up to the driver to decide what they're paying for and if it's worth it or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #55
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
That's why you are paying for the badge and personally, German > Japanese. Not in terms of reliability of course but overall quality of the vehicle.

Buy an Acura and you have just got yourself a re-branded Honda. Lexus tries to distance it self a bit more from Toyota but at the end of the day the company is still owned by them.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
And is bluetooth really that cool when you can just put your phone on speaker phone?
Um.... YES! You really can't hear the speakerphone very well unless your holding it close to you. And if your holding it, it ain't "hands-free".

Just try using a phone's speakerphone on the freeway with a convertible when the top is down. You will quickly learn why bluetooth is priceless and I haven't even gotten into the whole aspect of streaming your music or Pandora.

But back to topic... Yes, I believe BMW is cheapening out. My $45K based priced car cost well over $55K. I only have a base priced paint color and don't even have all the options (but I do have bluetooth). If I got the car loaded it would have been over $60K. That's a bit crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #57
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post
And BTW, the Kia Optima has better styling than the E90 sedan. :P
I hate to admit it but it's true! Always do a double-take whenever I see one of those. Too bad the same can't be said to its upcoming flagship vehicle Quoris...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #58
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

Tell that to a ZR1 Vette / Toyota Supra / GTR / CTS V etc..

Quote:
I hear what your saying and I use the same Apple / Android comparo myself all the time. Im an iPhone guy so I get it..
Its like why does a TAG watch cost x amount more than a Fossil or Timex? Brand Cache BMW is a luxury brand and so is Apple and Tag.

Your paying for the brand mostly, but the brands working off of its reputation. They are still awesome trust me I love my BMW
They are still some of the best driving cars, the German ones but the competition has caught up and BMW has gotten softer just look at the F30

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 05-02-2013 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #59
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Tell that to a ZR1 Vette / Toyota Supra / GTR / CTS V etc..

I hear what your saying and I use the same Apple / Android comparo myself all the time. Im an iPhone guy so I get it..
Its like why does a TAG watch cost x amount more than a Fossil or Timex? Brand Cache BMW is a luxury brand and so is Apple and Tag.

Your paying for the brand mostly, but the brands working off of its reputation. They are still awesome trust me I love my BMW
They are still some of the best driving cars, the German ones but the competition has caught up and BMW has gotten softer just look at the F30
I agree it is like apple. Android caught up at half the price now especially on the used market. Hence you can see a huge drop in apple stock because people no longer think what you get with apple is worth the price.

Same with BMW you really have to ask yourself is BMW worth it?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #60
ELiTeNeSs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Most people buy BMW for the driving experience that's why its called an "ultimate driving machine" and not "ultimate gadget machine" I'd rather say I drive a BMW with no bluetooth than I drive a Hyundai but I have bluetooth though
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

I have yet to look at a Kia and think I have missed out on anything. If they come with more standard features than a BMW I am not surprised, they need all the help they can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #62
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
I'd say BMW is cheaping out. If you look at these cars you will notice most the hardware is there but they leave out a wire or something
So you think we'd be better off if every BMW was loaded, meaning people who didn't want certain features would still be forced to pay for it?

Let's be honest here, standard options are not free. The money a car manufacturer spends on adding standard options is money taken away from somewhere else. If you want certain options on a BMW, then check the right boxes, pay the extra money, and there you go. Yes, the BMW will more expensive than the equivalent version of other cars, but for certain buyers, that premium is justified.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #63
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
So you think we'd be better off if every BMW was loaded, meaning people who didn't want certain features would still be forced to pay for it?

Let's be honest here, standard options are not free. The money a car manufacturer spends on adding standard options is money taken away from somewhere else. If you want certain options on a BMW, then check the right boxes, pay the extra money, and there you go. Yes, the BMW will more expensive than the equivalent version of other cars, but for certain buyers, that premium is justified.
With that attitude they would still have non power windows as standard.. after so many years somethings just need to be standard
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #64
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

See, I disagree. I have a bare bones 335xi. Only options are the Sport Package (the only non-negotiable for me) and Park Distance Control. I feel like my car is pretty well-equipped. Sure I don't have a lot of options but its got what I need. Xenons, nice cruise control, power seats, sunroof, auxiliary audio input, very good stock 10-speaker stereo, heated seats, headlight washers, folding rear seats.

The Canadian 335s come better equipped than their US counterparts I think. Maybe if I had a base 328, it'd be different.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #65
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

the only reason I came to BMW is for the performance and handling. luxury was not a concern, the less luxury and more performance is better
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #66
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
I have yet to look at a Kia and think I have missed out on anything. If they come with more standard features than a BMW I am not surprised, they need all the help they can get.
It's just rather pathetic that Kia can figure out options like Ventilated Seats for an entry level SUV of 40k$, but brands like RR or BMW need to charge you an extra 10-20K for some stupid option package that includes the one option you want. It's just a way to milk people that feel the need for a luxury vehicle.
Appreciate 0