E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Flasher for N54 - general discussion

Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #11397
Bimmer_Engineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So I read the codes off the car and it says cylinder 5 misfire...any help here?

I was planning on changing the spark plugs tomorrow so I think I'll swap the coil on 5 to a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves...any other suggestions? I guess I'm most disturbed because it showed up with the tune...

Last edited by Bimmer_Engineer; Yesterday at 11:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #11398
CanadianTSi
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi M Sport

The tune puts more stress on the components and will expose the weak links...

Most likely a plug or coil.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #11399
Cody03
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

https://datazap.me/u/papo1020/stage-2?log=0&data=3-23

How does this look? Mhd stage 2 e50
Downpipes
DCI
Walbro
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:00 AM   #11400
duke_luke
Registered
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masher View Post
Man i really doubt its possible, but if it was it would be so sick just like the new type r those manual downshift auto rev matching is so smooth....

Even if it were possible i don't know if Martial would be implementing such a big feature now, maybe like 2-3 years ago when MHD was still new... but now most likely not... due to cost factors and what not
Well if you know also M2,M3/4 manuals have REVMATCH - hence MHD could just copycat somehow the behaviour CODE and alter it somehow to E9x platform ?if possible with no such high cost factors. But i do not see inside if this is even achievable....
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:16 AM   #11401
blackangel18
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Is there a plan to make E10 map? Many EU countries will have to use E10 fuels starting from next year and some countries are even using it now.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:15 AM   #11402
Bimmer_Engineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So I read the codes off the car and it says cylinder 5 misfire...any help here?

I was planning on changing the spark plugs tomorrow so I think I'll swap the coil on 5 to a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves...any other suggestions? I guess I'm most disturbed because it showed up with the tune...
So...if I move the coil around and the misfire moves then should I just go ahead and change all of the coils since one of them has failed?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:56 AM   #11403
duke_luke
Registered
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So...if I move the coil around and the misfire moves then should I just go ahead and change all of the coils since one of them has failed?
sorry i have to react on this. This is MHD FLASHER topic, NOT issues tshooting your not healthy engine.
Please create tshoot topic or rather just search in forum. Plenty of similar issues sorted out there with how to's.
If you have a healthy engine all will work great with MHD maps.
As stated above more stress on engine will reveal weak parts which need to be sorted and maintained.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:01 AM   #11404
Bimmer_Engineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_luke View Post
sorry i have to react on this. This is MHD FLASHER topic, NOT issues tshooting your not healthy engine.
Please create tshoot topic or rather just search in forum. Plenty of similar issues sorted out there with how to's.
If you have a healthy engine all will work great with MHD maps.
As stated above more stress on engine will reveal weak parts which need to be sorted and maintained.
Yes sir...sorry for my breach of protocol.

I guess I mis-placed the thread as I noticed the issue in conjunction with the doing the MHD flash...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:58 AM   #11405
Jerain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangel18 View Post
Is there a plan to make E10 map? Many EU countries will have to use E10 fuels starting from next year and some countries are even using it now.
Well, that's not the same as adding extra ethanol. For example here in Beligum we have 95RON-E10. They will use 10% ethanol to add to petrol to reach for example "octane number" 95RON. If you are then mixing that with extra 25% pure ethanol you will have around E25 and so on...
2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT - OS GIKEN Superlock LSD - SMFW - 550i Clutch - MHD V7 E60 - MTC 5" stepped intercooler - Modified empty OEM look downpipes - EZP airscoops - Pagid RSL19 brakepads - Steel brakelines - SRF brake fluid - APEX EC-7 Satin Black - Yokohama AD08R
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:00 AM   #11406
Jerain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody03 View Post
https://datazap.me/u/papo1020/stage-2?log=0&data=3-23

How does this look? Mhd stage 2 e50
Downpipes
DCI
Walbro
You really need a FMIC, your IAT's are already high on a 2 gear pull and you have timing corrections...
2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT - OS GIKEN Superlock LSD - SMFW - 550i Clutch - MHD V7 E60 - MTC 5" stepped intercooler - Modified empty OEM look downpipes - EZP airscoops - Pagid RSL19 brakepads - Steel brakelines - SRF brake fluid - APEX EC-7 Satin Black - Yokohama AD08R
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:23 AM   #11407
NoGuru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangel18 View Post
Standard fuel has around 9-10% ethanol anyway.
2011 335is MHD Stage 2+ / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 5" ETS FMIC / Stage 2 bucketless / Motive Flex Fuel / Vwetish Diff Brace / Carbon wrapped roof / M4 Grill / 15mm spacers in rear / Arkym front lip
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:31 AM   #11408
Cody03
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerain View Post
You really need a FMIC, your IAT's are already high on a 2 gear pull and you have timing corrections...
Thanks for the response. I actually have a PSP 750 waiting to be installed. Someone totaled my 335i 2 months agoSo I have had to start over.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:23 PM   #11409
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Send a message via MSN to ManiacGT
I wonder if anyone can help a newbie in need here?

So at the end of last year I was taking my car into the dealers for an intermittent misfire diagnostic. On the way there the car showed an amber drive moderately screen which ultimately meant speed got lower and lower until it was unsafe to continue. I turned the car off and waited 15-20 mins before starting the car and carrying on, the amber warning came on again after a couple of minutes and by then Iíd reached the dealership at which point just before I shut off the car the screen went red and said stop immediately which I did.

The car had six new injectors and a new water pump.

The car was returned to me but since then Iíve had inconsistent power delivery using 95RON and a rough DCT shift in all gears almost like the brakes are being dabbed just before each upshift. Dealer says the car is fine but they have nothing to compare it to. The fact they think the DCT is ok to drop torque hugely between changes tells me Iím not going to get anywhere with them.

Other weirdness includes occasional shifts into whatever gear is top for the cruising speed Iím aiming for but after itís final shift power starts to drop off like Iíve let off the throttle. Seconds later the power starts to return.

98 RON fuel improves power delivery but the only thing that helps the rough odd shifting is when it warms up fully but even then itís like it doesnít know the engine load or thereís some sort of delay between what the engine thinks and what the DCT does.

Anyhow I purchased the MHD monitor and have been logging for anything obvious. But truthfully there are so many variables and Iím no expert on their interaction so need some help before I finally give up and sell my beloved car due to frustration.

Example graph : https://flic.kr/p/28i2DAE

I see torque and throttle drops what appears a bit too soon before the upshift maybe?

Anyone?

Last edited by ManiacGT; Today at 02:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:40 PM   #11410
Aus335iguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Does it do it with DTC on? I've found that the DCT can shift pretty hard and the traction events kill the fun. Hit the DSC button once and see if it helps. Post up a log in a seperate thread also
      Today, 04:59 PM   #11411
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Send a message via MSN to ManiacGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Does it do it with DTC on? I've found that the DCT can shift pretty hard and the traction events kill the fun. Hit the DSC button once and see if it helps. Post up a log in a seperate thread also
Turning traction control off makes no difference. This loss of torque before shifts happens in normal driving and is quite alarming at WOT.

In normal mode it feels like a slush box upshift. In sport itís more like a sharp jab of the brakes would feel before the upshift. Awful.

Happy to post a log, but what variables to record that might help diagnose this?

Last edited by ManiacGT; Today at 05:13 PM.
Appreciate 0