E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Into the mid 120's: 125.7 mph Trap Speed

05-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #67
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I made that tune especially for TDIwyse. The xHP tunes are excellent and there is not a better commercially available method for safely flashing TCU tunes. However, xHP is working diligently to broaden access to TCU tuning and not necessarily in the business of custom tunes.

Been thinking about customizing the TCU tunes to maximize performance based on engine performance for quite some time. For example, best acceleration may not be with the same rpm limit in each gear (I can model that with software). Believe it or not, a stock 335d will actually accelerate faster if the shift rpm is brought down a little.

Anyway, I'm not in the business of providing custom TCU tunes, yet. Hit the appreciation button and I will look to see how many are interested and go from there. Thanks.
OK, so there is enough interest that I will provide a tune similar to the one I did for TDIwyse. Going to add some additional refinement before I release it. Cannot get to that for a week or so. I will ask for $40 as a way to cover expenses past and future. Exceptions maybe made for folks willing to participate in further research and are equipped to provide the needed data. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Appreciate 11
TDIwyse611.50
OmahaDZL142.00
jomiri6.50
Owen8183.00
lnxguy352.50
iaknown418.00
      05-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #68
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

What kind of software one needs to run to provide more data. TestO or something else? I'm all for more data.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #69
Got-Torque
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Maybe. But can get complicated due to how the DDE checks itself.

However, there are definitely ways to optimize behavior when making hardware modifications that are easier to do by remapping the DDE.

As an example, testing a new version of the DDE from Jarek has found some power over the older DDE I've been running.

This weekends measurements show about 20 whp improvement over the previous DDE.

Note: The way I'm measuring hp/tq is different than Jarek, so direct hp/tq numbers are not valid.
I'm impressed you are finding more power almost weekly...

Just a couple of observations from your graphs: With an external gate setup, I expected to see it flat line at your opening point, is it simply creating more pressure than can escape at your opening amount or is it set to crack open higher than shown in your graph?

Also, I like your IAT temps. Did they drop with the change in LP turbo? Does your water/meth affect those readings?

Quote:
OK, so there is enough interest that I will provide a tune similar to the one I did for TDIwyse. Going to add some additional refinement before I release it. Cannot get to that for a week or so. I will ask for $40 as a way to cover expenses past and future. Exceptions maybe made for folks willing to participate in further research and are equipped to provide the needed data. Send me a PM if you are interested.
thanks for doing this, glad to contribute.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #70
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Torque View Post
Just a couple of observations from your graphs: With an external gate setup, I expected to see it flat line at your opening point, is it simply creating more pressure than can escape at your opening amount or is it set to crack open higher than shown in your graph?
Once the LP turbo comes online, the EWG and MBC are limiting the boost to where I set it (there's still enough venting ability to very precisely control boost). This is why above ~3500 rpm's the boost is a near flatline (there's also some affects from the EMP's as it is pressing on the spring of the EWG).

It appears to me that due to the larger hot side and turbine on the hybrid LP turbo, more exhaust energy is being absorbed by the hybrid turbine, so the HP turbine gets less energy than it did with the OEM LP turbo, and it's unable to make as much boost as it did before installing the hybrid LP turbo. The EWG as configured does not open when the HP turbo is active (due to not enough boost) so it is doing nothing to limit boost down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Torque View Post
Also, I like your IAT temps. Did they drop with the change in LP turbo? Does your water/meth affect those readings?

thanks for doing this, glad to contribute.
Actually, they're higher in the upper rpm region. Increasing boost compresses the air more and makes it hotter.

The main water/methanol injector is about 5 inches in front of the CACT sensor (the secondary one is up by the EGR delete pipe). So I'm able to measure some of the additional evaporative cooling going on in the system. Ideally the CACT sensor should be after both injectors, and farther away, so it would be able to better capture the actual CACT's. But I haven't fussed around with changing that part of the setup.
      05-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #71
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
What kind of software one needs to run to provide more data. TestO or something else? I'm all for more data.
Good question. Testo has the sample rate and parameter capabilities. Torque won't cut it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #72
DWR
Banned
Rep

Getting some requests for customized trans tunes. Not going there yet, so please hold off on those requests, for now.

The tune I made for TDIwyse was along the lines of a Sport/Stage 2 tune in firmness with extended rpms in Sport and Manual modes. He and I shared concern about shift harshness of the xHP Race/Stage3, with engines performing at the level his is. I focused on creating a safe tune that improves drag strip performance.
Appreciate 1
TDIwyse611.50
      05-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #73
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good question. Testo has the sample rate and parameter capabilities. Torque won't cut it.
I've got TestO working perfectly. Just let us know what you need. I'm currently running xHP stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #74
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've got TestO working perfectly. Just let us know what you need. I'm currently running xHP stage 3.
The stage 3 will be helpful to get a full rpm range (5000 rpm defueling) pwr/trq curve.

I used PerfExpert to map the engine's capability across the 5000 rpm range so we could try to find the optimum power regions for shifting. Extending rpm's might be counter productive, depending on the particulars of the car. With things as they are now, it seems like it would like to go beyond 5000 rpm before shifting ...
      05-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #75
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The stage 3 will be helpful to get a full rpm range (5000 rpm defueling) pwr/trq curve.

I used PerfExpert to map the engine's capability across the 5000 rpm range so we could try to find the optimum power regions for shifting. Extending rpm's might be counter productive, depending on the particulars of the car. With things as they are now, it seems like it would like to go beyond 5000 rpm before shifting ...
Agreed. I have a request to JR for a 5,200 rpm rev limit in the DDE. No response, yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #76
DWR
Banned
Rep

TCU Tune

Regarding the distribution of the TCU Tune, I apologize to all who are patiently waiting. I have been flat out with urgent assignments at work. Just got back from being on the road, and back out tomorrow. No relief until the end of the week and then I plan to spend some home time with my wife.

Really, want to test some improvements before I distribute. I believe there is a right way and an OK way to tune this TCU. Trying to do it right. Setting it up for the equivalent of a JR stage 2.5

Yozh, I'm going to take you up on your offer. If you can share a HP plot for your setup. Perfexpert is what TDIwyse uses and it would be nice if we could standardize the measurement process/tool - not absolutely necessary, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #77
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I've been asking for this for a while now... hopefully you have better luck getting a tuner to extend the rpm range.

Quote:
Agreed. I have a request to JR for a 5,200 rpm rev limit in the DDE. No response, yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #78
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Don't apologize. Life, work and family is more important than our hobby.

I look forward to the TCU tune being optimized and available.

Quote:
Regarding the distribution of the TCU Tune, I apologize to all who are patiently waiting. I have been flat out with urgent assignments at work. Just got back from being on the road, and back out tomorrow. No relief until the end of the week and then I plan to spend some home time with my wife.

Really, want to test some improvements before I distribute. I believe there is a right way and an OK way to tune this TCU. Trying to do it right. Setting it up for the equivalent of a JR stage 2.5

Yozh, I'm going to take you up on your offer. If you can share a HP plot for your setup. Perfexpert is what TDIwyse uses and it would be nice if we could standardize the measurement process/tool - not absolutely necessary, though.

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 05-14-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
DWR797.50
      05-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #79
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I have the PerfExpert but have only played with it minimally. The challenge for me is I live Downtown and any safe area to get the measurement is a good drive away. My set-up is nothing fancy. Open diff, stock intercooler, gutted DPF with DOC intact, stock exhaust with gutted SCR, no meth and no piggybacks, the wonderful JR2.8 and xHP3. I will do it this week, however, as I'm away the week after. Forecast for rain

TDI, what do you set as minimum rpm in PerfExpert. Looks like 2k from your graphs, can you please confirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #80
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Should everyone use the same specs in Perfexperf? If so, can TDI or DWR post the specs they use on perfect expert.

Quote:

TDI, what do you set as minimum rpm in PerfExpert. Looks like 2k from your graphs, can you please confirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #81
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have the PerfExpert but have only played with it minimally. The challenge for me is I live Downtown and any safe area to get the measurement is a good drive away. My set-up is nothing fancy. Open diff, stock intercooler, gutted DPF with DOC intact, stock exhaust with gutted SCR, no meth and no piggybacks, the wonderful JR2.8 and xHP3. I will do it this week, however, as I'm away the week after. Forecast for rain

If you don't have a good, safe, flat, smooth, dry, testing road, PerfExpert is likely a sub-optimum tool. A chassis dyno would likely be a better choice.

I do use 2k as the starting point, which seems to be a reasonable choice.

Some example car specs I use can be seen here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=124

The CdA value is very slightly higher than "stock" as I have mudflaps. The actual values for some of the car's parameters don't have to be exact to get useful results, if you are looking at relative changes in behavior. Just keep it consistent from test to test.

The pitch factor is more finicky ... You can dial this parameter in by comparing the shift point rpm's on the PerfExpert logs vs TestO or Torque logs. Lowering the pitch factor makes PerfExpert think the rpm's are higher, raising pitch factor moves it the other way.
      05-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #82
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Should everyone use the same specs in Perfexperf? If so, can TDI or DWR post the specs they use on perfect expert.
I think as long as you use consistent and realistic values, the relative changes in modifications will be measurable. I posted a link to an example of my setup. But different car modifications might change these values if you want to be "exact". For instance, I have mudflaps, which will cause a worse Cd than without. Also, I've tried weighing my car at the local dump, but the measured weight was too high to be realistic. I'm using a lower weight than what was measured, and tried to base it on curb weight and subtracting/adding for the various modifications I've made.

The pitch is the main thing that will need to be tweaked. For example, my summer wheel/tire setup has larger rear diameter wheels than the front, which requires a substantial change in the pitch factor than when I run equal diameter setup. And different suspension setups will also change the pitch factor. Also, the recent addition of a differential lockdown kit also required a tweak in pitch factor.
      05-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #83
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks TDI. Interesting about the pitch. I think I'll keep mine at 3.0 for now, but I do have the lockdown kit and am on BMWPS springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #84
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Really, want to test some improvements before I distribute. ...
Quick update on this, as I've been helping test some things this past week.

DWR has extended the self-shift rpm by ~100 (peak 3rd & 4th rpm's are now ~4950 vs ~4850 from his previous remap) which I like. And based on some of the measured data there's some tweaks he's planning to implement for an update.

DWR, do you want to make a new thread?

Also this week I started trying to optimize the ST4 "Lite" DDE from Jarek in my system (was previously working on the new 2.5 updated version). That is looking promising. Low/mid range output is much better with the ST4L. Upper rpm's are pretty close, as the ST4 Lite appears to be more aggressive with DDE controlled fueling in regards to holding the AFR's in check at the upper rpm's than the previous one.
Attached Images

Mik325tds805.50
      05-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #85
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Looks great, gents! I look forward to more updates.

Quote:
Quick update on this, as I've been helping test some things this past week.

DWR has extended the self-shift rpm by ~100 (peak 3rd & 4th rpm's are now ~4950 vs ~4850 from his previous remap) which I like. And based on some of the measured data there's some tweaks he's planning to implement for an update.

Also this week I started trying to optimize the ST4 "Lite" DDE from Jarek in my system (was previously working on the new 2.5 updated version). That is looking promising. Low/mid range output is much better with the ST4L. Upper rpm's are pretty close, as the ST4 Lite appears to be more aggressive with DDE controlled fueling in regards to holding the AFR's in check at the upper rpm's than the previous one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #86
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am not planning to make any additional posts in this thread about TCU tuning.
I think there is enough info on the DIY side for someone to get started now. Mik325tds's thread continues to march on with new contributors who are still uncovering the mysteries. Any additional work I do will be custom jobs that allow me to expand my knowledge and test new ideas.
Thanks for that opportunity.
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds805.50
      05-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #87
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
I think as long as you use consistent and realistic values, the relative changes in modifications will be measurable. I posted a link to an example of my setup. But different car modifications might change these values if you want to be "exact". For instance, I have mudflaps, which will cause a worse Cd than without. Also, I've tried weighing my car at the local dump, but the measured weight was too high to be realistic. I'm using a lower weight than what was measured, and tried to base it on curb weight and subtracting/adding for the various modifications I've made.

The pitch is the main thing that will need to be tweaked. For example, my summer wheel/tire setup has larger rear diameter wheels than the front, which requires a substantial change in the pitch factor than when I run equal diameter setup. And different suspension setups will also change the pitch factor. Also, the recent addition of a differential lockdown kit also required a tweak in pitch factor.
I have a set of professional scales for corner balancing my car. If you ever make it out here you're welcome to put your car on them. My car's current weight with full tank is 3620 (without me in it). There's always a cold beer in the fridge for you as well.
Appreciate 1
TDIwyse611.50
      05-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #88
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
I have a set of professional scales for corner balancing my car. If you ever make it out here you're welcome to put your car on them. My car's current weight with full tank is 3620 (without me in it). There's always a cold beer in the fridge for you as well.
Mik325tds,
Nice to hear from you.
Can you describe any weight cutting measures you have taken?
Did you drop the DEF tank?
Appreciate 0