E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > ED during Tour de France?

09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

ED during Tour de France?

I'm an avid cyclist and plan to combine an ED with riding some of the most iconic climbs of the Tour de France. The trip would be even better if I could catch a stage or two. How feasible is it to get a late June or early July ED date with things like summer holiday and model year switch over factory shut downs?
      09-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
///jbeck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
I'm an avid cyclist and plan to combine an ED with riding some of the most iconic climbs of the Tour de France. The trip would be even better if I could catch a stage or two. How feasible is it to get a late June or early July ED date with things like summer holiday and model year switch over factory shut downs?
It shouldn't be too hard, as long as you order early enough in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

good idea but driving your brand new car to the stage finish or start line is too risky.......very easy prey for drunks and punks lol (probably americans too).

Being stationed in Germany I was able to see TDF multi times and I had my car keyed. You can do it but stay outside from the actual city and just commute going into the city plenty of public transportation in france or europe as a whole
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I've been to the TdF a couple times and trying to get around in a car is a nightmare. Pick the stages you want to see, determine whether you're going to see the start, finish, or a point on the route for each stage.
Because once you're there, you're not going anywhere once the caravan starts coming through. If you plan on doing some on the iconic climbs, (Le Alpe, Ventoux, etc.) plan on riding those at least a day in advance of the stage, maybe two. The big climbs are packed with riders, walkers, and drunks well in advance. Don't miss it! It's a f@#$king blast!
      09-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
irianjim
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 28 sDrive

Garage List
2016 BMW Z4  [0.00]
When we did our ED last year, we did our driving in the rural areas and small towns. We sent the car back before we visited the cities. I am glad we did. When you see how they park their cars in Paris - literally bumpers touching - and you can see the damage that most cars have on their bumpers - you will be glad you don't have a car there. I would avoid busy areas and crowds with my car. Enjoy the car before or after the tour and enjoy the tour without the hassle of worrying about your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

If you do it post some pics please.
Appreciate 0