E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please don't do this to your girlfriend!

04-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains
I'm a little confused how he broke his face if he was wearing a full helmet.. Also am I the only person that if they were driving a BMW they would have survived..?
If you look at the pic the chin strap for the helmet is just hanging there, helmet probably flew off and face smashed into steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains View Post
I'm a little confused how he broke his face if he was wearing a full helmet.. Also am I the only person that if they were driving a BMW they would have survived..?
Don't be fooled into a false sense of security based on the type of car you drive. They could have easily had the same result in an E9x. If you don't use the proper safety equipment in racing conditions, you're taking a risk. And the safety gear doesn't eliminate the risk, it just reduces it. Drive safely.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

What an idiot. Kids these days. All they look at is the 'now', not the future or dangers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #26
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I've taken my GF and friends on a road course and drag strip. Never at 10/10ths but I don't see much wrong with a spirited drive with proper helmets. It's safer than driving hard on the street.

Stuff happens when driving. Even at slower speeds. Never going to eliminate all risk at any time. All you can do is try to mitigate given the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Sorry man, but I don't feel sorry for the driver. I do feel for the girl. Poor thing.
You never take ANYONE, let alone a loved one, in a car with you on the track- unless it's an instructor. I'm surprised they allowed this. He put his girl's life in danger, and now he must live with the pain that he, in effect, killed her - for the rest of his life. I would have rather died.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Takeshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Cabriolet

RIP. Very sad indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
This is truly tragic and I share the OP's sentiments...I would personally not feel comfortable doing this but we must be careful not to make choices that other people are quite capable of making. I do hope she (and he) fully understood the risks and chose to participate on an informed basis, but if they did so, we shouldn't second guess. Life (and enjoyment of life) involves risks. Sometimes the dice come up the wrong way.
I agree. I've been on the track both driving my own car and as passenger in my friend's cars. It's a great experience that I think everyone should try at least once. I can understand some people not comfortable with taking their wives or girlfriends with them, but there are many that do bring their significant other to the track and it's a very memorable and safe experience for the vast majority of them.

It also depends on the people you track with. I've been on tracks where there are no rules. People are constantly battling for position, riding each other's bumpers, cutting each off. And I've been to controlled races where the number of cars is limited, passing is prohibited on corners and you have wait for the guy in front of you to signal before u may pass. I admit its more fun when there are no rules but I wouldn't go back cuz at the end of the day I spent too much money on my car to risk crashing it. Not to mention the fact that I want to go home alive.

And of course the most important is how you drive yourself. If you're coming around a corner and there are no cars around you and there's no walls nearby, you can push your car a little harder since the worse that can probably happen is you slide off the track and onto the grass. But if I am near the pit lane which has a wall or if there are cars around me, I'm going drive a bit slower.

I think if you drive carefully and you're in controlled race where people respect the rules, I think it's ok to bring your girlfriend along to enjoy the ride. Is it perfectly safe? No. Obviously you're driving fast and there is still a risk, but if there was no risk at all, it wouldn't be worth doing, would it? People die in skiing accidents, drown in kayaking or fishing trips. Bunjee cords snap, parachutes can fail when you're skydiving. Does that mean all of these activities are too dangerous?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Seriously.. the most dangerous car on any given racetrack is always an Integra. I've witnessed this myself multiple times.
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

He hit some sort of flag post on one of the turns as someone suggested. I thought the car flipped since judging by the track map, doesn't look like you could hit anything.

Anyhow we could all speculate if he was driving a better car, m3 with LSD, 350z, or a Volvo , would the outcome had been different?

It's hard to say but I would think that the integra was a contributing factor. Just how much? Not enough to quantify. You probably have to look at driver skill, tires used, brake quality/temperature at the time, etc etc

I feel bad for her .......she didn't deserve this. But I can tell you one thing. A lot of the girls I've dated don't like me driving fast whether on the road course or surface street. For some reason she enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

I've logged hundreds of laps at Chuckwalla and have never seen anyone come close to hitting anything. I'm so confused at how he could have hit that flag station. He definitely wasn't doing something right and the result is devastating.
      04-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

maybe something broke on the car? Let's not condemn this poor guy with none of the facts.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I've logged hundreds of laps at Chuckwalla and have never seen anyone come close to hitting anything. I'm so confused at how he could have hit that flag station. He definitely wasn't doing something right and the result is devastating.
There is a flag station before turn 11 on the right side of that back straight but I have no idea how he could have hit that. There's another flag station at the exit of 13. This is all assuming they were lapping clockwise which is most common.

Sad for both of the injured persons and their families. I'm just trying to understand what happened because that's how my mind works, but I apologize if I offended anyone by doing that.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #34
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

there was a guy from my hs many many moons ago who went to do a canyon run, I heard he initially invited this girl who had to bail out last minute but anyways he ended up flipping his car down the hill and the passanger side was completey smashed in.. had the girl went.. well we all know what would have happened...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
BuellsterR1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

IMO, all decisions come with consequences and the maker shall be held accountable. SHE decided to ride passenger knowing the consequences. Unfortunately, the cards were not dealt in her favor and may she rest in peace.

AddictedToBarvarian labeled him an idiot. Why? because someone has to be held accountable? Do you really think he wanted this to happen. Dangers lay everywhere in life and sometimes, this is what defines life for some people. They take risk and in doing so, they live what they perceive is as life. Would it be appropriate to call you panzy because you seem to live your life in a box? No, not at all. If you happy doing what your doing and are satified by the decision you've made, who am I to judge?

KwlAzaKid stated an instance of "what if" and already deems the guy accountable. Remember, hindsight is always 20/20 so try not to be so quick to judge. The same "what if" can be said that if she did in fact go, that he wouldn't have crashed in the first place. Time, conditions, and said variables will ALL be different.

I'm not arguing the fact that the OP takes it upon himself to decide for others that the risk to too great to bear, in fact, I agree and this is why a majority of the time, I won't let me girlfriend ride passenger on my motorcycle.

Bottom line is, this story is very sad for all parties and instead of pointing fingers, maybe we should get the facts straight, learn from them, and enjoy life as we see fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

How sad Truley an accident
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #37
BCeagle08
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xDrive 6MT

#1 reason you shouldn't be allowed to take passengers unless that passenger is an instructor. Most places have this policy, I'm surprised he was allowed to take a passenger.

People drive a little differently when they are trying to impress someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #38
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
There is a flag station before turn 11 on the right side of that back straight but I have no idea how he could have hit that. There's another flag station at the exit of 13. This is all assuming they were lapping clockwise which is most common.

Sad for both of the injured persons and their families. I'm just trying to understand what happened because that's how my mind works, but I apologize if I offended anyone by doing that.
Apparently they were CCW that day. At first I thought he must have lost it cresting 12 but the station is so far away. Maybe he misjudged 11, went four off and didn't lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle08 View Post
#1 reason you shouldn't be allowed to take passengers unless that passenger is an instructor. Most places have this policy, I'm surprised he was allowed to take a passenger.

People drive a little differently when they are trying to impress someone.
Disagree completely. By that logic, we shouldn't have passengers in our street cars either. They're a distraction. Ride alongs happen all the time at the track without incident. As a fellow driver, you can learn a lot riding along with someone else. Very important learning tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Rest in peace.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

sad
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #41
BCeagle08
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
Disagree completely. By that logic, we shouldn't have passengers in our street cars either. They're a distraction. Ride alongs happen all the time at the track without incident. As a fellow driver, you can learn a lot riding along with someone else. Very important learning tool.
Yes. Let's compare driving on the street for purely function purposes, vs driving on a racetrack where the goal is to push a car to its performance limits.

K.

There should not be passengers when your car is on the track. It multiplies every safety issue by at least a factor of 2, and most of them by a much larger factor.

It's just common sense. Sitting in the passenger seat will teach you nothing you can't learn through post sessions coaching and video analysis. It's just an unnecessary risk, and if it wasn't, everyone would be selling their seats at every race for ridealongs.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #42
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There should not be passengers when your car is on the track. It multiplies every safety issue by at least a factor of 2, and most of them by a much larger factor.
No. It doesn't. Ride alongs happen ALL the time at the track without any incident. This was a sad and unfortunate exception. If ride alongs were so much riskier, they would be banned everywhere which they aren't. If its not for you, that's fine but make that your own personal choice and not one that you feel needs to be forced on everyone else.

Quote:
It's just common sense. Sitting in the passenger seat will teach you nothing you can't learn through post sessions coaching and video analysis. It's just an unnecessary risk, and if it wasn't, everyone would be selling their seats at every race for ridealongs.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never ridden along with a skilled driver at the track. If you did, you would know you learn tons that you can't get from video or in track side instructions. In a ride along, you feel the car and how the driver is making it move. You can feel braking force, turn in and exit aggressiveness, body roll, chassis vibration, etc. You can't get that from a video, a lap time or someone watching from the pits.

My condolences to the bereaved. A sad loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #43
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellsterR1 View Post
IMO, all decisions come with consequences and the maker shall be held accountable. SHE decided to ride passenger knowing the consequences. Unfortunately, the cards were not dealt in her favor and may she rest in peace.

AddictedToBarvarian labeled him an idiot. Why? because someone has to be held accountable? Do you really think he wanted this to happen. Dangers lay everywhere in life and sometimes, this is what defines life for some people. They take risk and in doing so, they live what they perceive is as life. Would it be appropriate to call you panzy because you seem to live your life in a box? No, not at all. If you happy doing what your doing and are satified by the decision you've made, who am I to judge?

KwlAzaKid stated an instance of "what if" and already deems the guy accountable. Remember, hindsight is always 20/20 so try not to be so quick to judge. The same "what if" can be said that if she did in fact go, that he wouldn't have crashed in the first place. Time, conditions, and said variables will ALL be different.

I'm not arguing the fact that the OP takes it upon himself to decide for others that the risk to too great to bear, in fact, I agree and this is why a majority of the time, I won't let me girlfriend ride passenger on my motorcycle.

Bottom line is, this story is very sad for all parties and instead of pointing fingers, maybe we should get the facts straight, learn from them, and enjoy life as we see fit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #44
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya exactly, I never take my wife on spirited drive. I always do it on my own...Sometimes I get hard on throttle but never more then that. rip