E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > student credit cards

09-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C230 SS

student credit cards

hey guys I just got this thing in the mail from my student credit card (citi mtvu card) and it says that for every person that i refer and they get approved I get 50 bucks with a limit to ten people.....so if anyone is looking to get a student credit card pm me your e-mail and Il send you the link with my promo code ....be nice and hook me up..you dont even have to open the card jus get approved....ne ways heres a link about the card if anyone is interested but dont sign up without sendin me ur e-mail first so i can send u the link...thanks lol

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/06/M...FDD5126AD32EA7
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I'll have to look into this. I just got approved for a bank of america credit card. So i'll have to see which is better.
      09-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep

ok ive had this one for a couple months....if your a student its good cuz of the rewards..I jus got a $100 circuit city gift card cuz of the rewards....so look into it. and dont forget to shoot me a pm..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
OhhaiAlex
Oh hai :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
I'll have to look into this. I just got approved for a bank of america credit card. So i'll have to see which is better.
BOA FTW!
      09-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin1215 View Post
ok ive had this one for a couple months....if your a student its good cuz of the rewards..I jus got a $100 circuit city gift card cuz of the rewards....so look into it. and dont forget to shoot me a pm..
How much did you have to spend to get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteAngel View Post
BOA FTW!
Now do you like Bank of America or their credit card aswell? I use Sovereign for my debit. So far so good love the numerous locations and such.

But if you are talking about the credit card. What are some good things you really like so far?
      09-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DasBlitz;1464970]How much did you have to spend to get that.

I dont remember.. not too much...The rewards are based on different things....like 5 points for movies,bookstores and stuff like that. Also certain weeks you get more points for different stores....All that info is on thankyounetwork.com
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteAngel View Post
BOA FTW!
NFB FTW!!

(North Fork Bank):rocks:
      09-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Just remember folks... Student Credit cards are the devil. The card companies KNOW that you're distracted, drunk, stoned, studying, or chasing women. They rely on this to get you sucked in while you are a broke ass College kid. I talked with other students while in school and some of my buddies were pretty much screwed right outta school. Not only are they just starting to look for their first job, but now they've got this credit card debt riding their asses right out of the gate...

The Credit card companies know you are an easy target and that Mommy and Daddy will probably come running to the rescue. Think about it, why the hell else would credit card companies be given broke ass students cards?

Like I said... Completely Full of Fail.
      09-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Just remember folks... Student Credit cards are the devil. The card companies KNOW that you're distracted, drunk, stoned, studying, or chasing women. They rely on this to get you sucked in while you are a broke ass College kid. I talked with other students while in school and some of my buddies were pretty much screwed right outta school. Not only are they just starting to look for their first job, but now they've got this credit card debt riding their asses right out of the gate...

The Credit card companies know you are an easy target and that Mommy and Daddy will probably come running to the rescue. Think about it, why the hell else would credit card companies be given broke ass students cards?

Like I said... Completely Full of Fail.

Partially true but I think its more of the students fault. I use my credit card as my debit card and keep track of what im spending, and make a payment every week. If you cant do that then dont get one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin1215 View Post
Partially true but I think its more of the students fault. I use my credit card as my debit card and keep track of what im spending, and make a payment every week. If you cant do that then dont get one.
I can fit all the college kids who manage their money properly right outta the house into a thimble.

Of course credit is about behaving yourself, but look at America as a whole, we've got 3-5% of Americans that aren't carrying half their annual incomes as unsecured debt?

Yeah, the Credit Card companies prey on the kids... Simple. Discover got sued about 10 years ago for just this sort of credit card offer and the following usury.

There are always the exceptions and hopefully MOST Students can maintain their finances properly. But it's been my experience that many in College are little more than educated idiots and lack the common sense required to successfully function day to day, let alone with a credit card or three.
      09-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

The problem is that students use credit cards like check cards, when they should be using them in emergencies and or must have purchases like books. Not a box of pizza, beer, gum, and the latest issue of Maxim.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Jay2998
ninja
Rep
Drives: 04 Navigator 00 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
The problem is that students use credit cards like check cards, when they should be using them in emergencies and or must have purchases like books. Not a box of pizza, beer, gum, and the latest issue of Maxim.
a perfectly reasonable standpoint, very conservative. my thought would be to teach them how to use a credit card to build credit without going into debt. safe credit management for kids, treat it like a second debit card. buy a tank of gas, pay it that same day online even if it isn't showing online yet (usually posts 2-5 days later). whenever you put something on the credit card, just shove that receipt in your wallet and that night pay for it online. they will get used to not spending more than they have available in their checking account, build credit, earn rewards (if applicable), and avoid those pesky finance charges since they are paying off the charges within the billing cycle.

*edit* just to be clear I don't mean charge everything to a credit card, that would just be too much to keep track of for college kids, start with something like only gas charges, that way they only have to manage their account once or twice a week to start with.

Last edited by Jay2998; 09-28-2007 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Jay2998
ninja
Rep
Drives: 04 Navigator 00 Civic

ok let's look at that $100 gift card, 5 points is very possible at certain approved merchants depending on the card. the gift card itself would have cost about 10000 points. at 5 points per dollar that would be about $2000.00 to get a hundred dollar gift card, but if that balance is paid in full and no finance charges are earned, then you're certainly a $100 better off than if you just put those charges on your debit or check card.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Revlis, you have great points but at the end of the day that is capitalism at its finest. Survival of the fittest. Prey on the weak and dumb. It amazes me the kids who get into such good schools being completely retarded and just immature.

I feel those kids deserve to get bad credit if they do not use their credit wisely. I am getting a credit card to build my credit. So It will only be used for certain things, books, classes etc. Anything else will be payed with my debit card. I'd like to have only debts for schooling when I am done. Otherwise there is no point in me even going to school. I'll basically be earning a low amount due to having to pay so much in debts.
      09-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2998 View Post
ok let's look at that $100 gift card, 5 points is very possible at certain approved merchants depending on the card. the gift card itself would have cost about 10000 points. at 5 points per dollar that would be about $2000.00 to get a hundred dollar gift card, but if that balance is paid in full and no finance charges are earned, then you're certainly a $100 better off than if you just put those charges on your debit or check card.
yea as long as you can manage your banking and your credit cards you are fine....i know what i can spend and what i cant. So i just use the card as if it was my check card and just keep track therefore the rewards are awesome for me..

also a plus about student cards is that their limit is much smaller than others so with a $500 or 1000 dollar limit most people should be fine...

and il say it one more time if anyone wnats to hook me up or just get a student card..pm your e-mail address so i can send you the promotion link!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #16
soph1aa
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Get Citicard Dividend!
i had the student mtv card and it's crap. if you want rewards for using your card, might as well get cash rewards cuhz they REally add up.
if you really calcuate the dollar you spent with the points for a certain giftcard, your getting ripped. just my input.

and i think you can do that promo thing with all citi cards no?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
vin1215
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph1aa View Post
Get Citicard Dividend!
i had the student mtv card and it's crap. if you want rewards for using your card, might as well get cash rewards cuhz they REally add up.
if you really calcuate the dollar you spent with the points for a certain giftcard, your getting ripped. just my input.

and i think you can do that promo thing with all citi cards no?
Im not sure they just sent me the promo for the student one because thats the only one i have but contrary to your opinion I like my student credit card. It has a relatively small limit. And I like the rewards, they give me points for paying my card on time as well as 500-1000 points for my grades from school. so i like it
Appreciate 0