E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Tint law changed down to 35% all around?

08-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Viper Two Four
SBX-1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
He has TN plates.

VA tint law is written so that any car driving in the commonwealth must abide by VA's tint laws, but I don't think this is enforced in practice. Ran 20% all around with my DE plates for a year and a half with no issues. I use my RD too. Just got 35% put on the 335 today. Not worried about NOVA/Richmond corridor, but when I go out into the western part of the state on business I think I might get some trouble.

Hopefully this bill and +19 reckless driving across the board passes legislature next year (write your rep!)
got to love out of state tags
06 325i, Matte Black Grills, CF Rounds, CF Cloth Trim, CF Vinyl Roof & Matte Black Shark Fin, LED Inter, Led Plate Light, Yellow Fogs, 5% Window Tint, Coming Soon Intake, Mate Black Rims, Exhaust, Euro Headlights w/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post
legos are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Two Four View Post
got to love out of state tags
Yeah, although I've heard that out in the boonies you can get some trouble even with OOS tags. Depends on how bored the staties are. I guess I'll find out when I go out there for work.
      08-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
Viper Two Four
SBX-1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Yeah, although I've heard that out in the boonies you can get some trouble even with OOS tags. Depends on how bored the staties are. I guess I'll find out when I go out there for work.
well being a former law enforcement and having the thin blue line helps alot
06 325i, Matte Black Grills, CF Rounds, CF Cloth Trim, CF Vinyl Roof & Matte Black Shark Fin, LED Inter, Led Plate Light, Yellow Fogs, 5% Window Tint, Coming Soon Intake, Mate Black Rims, Exhaust, Euro Headlights w/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post
legos are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #26
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

What about interstate commerce clause? How can state law trump federal law? There's got to be a way it's illegal for VA to enforce their laws on an out of state vehicle.
      08-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
What about interstate commerce clause? How can state law trump federal law? There's got to be a way it's illegal for VA to enforce their laws on an out of state vehicle.
I've heard its like their RD laws - if you sue to a certain level, they drop the case.
      08-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
20% all the way around here...I got pulled over by a cop cause he saw my. Fire tags and asked me where I got it done cause he has an e92 lol needless to say I wasnt given a ticket lol
Damn... since I don't have a badge of any kind or tags..I just stuck to 35% ...

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #29
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
Damn... since I don't have a badge of any kind or tags..I just stuck to 35% ...
even when i didnt have my fd tags they never messed with me with 5% guess i was just lucky lol

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #30
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
even when i didnt have my fd tags they never messed with me with 5% guess i was just lucky lol
That's because you live in Harford county. Try White Marsh area on I-95 where Port Authority cops will pull you over for sneezing...

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #31
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
That's because you live in Harford county. Try White Marsh area on I-95 where Port Authority cops will pull you over for sneezing...
yeah bmore co pull their over own and ticket them, and ohhhh gotta love the toll trolls lol

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #32
MissMyE30
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
There is no federal law governing window tint. It's up to the individual states. With VA writing out of state vehicles? Ever heard the expression, "when in rome do as the romans do?" If you want to drive in VA without the possibility of getting hassled, make sure your vehicle complies with VA laws. I write out of state tint, although it's not very often and they usually have to be doing something else like speeding, etc. When I check a car with darker than VA code tint and out of state plates, it's always darker than their home state allows anyway. I check before I write the ticket. Also, if you keep getting pulled for tint (VA residents) and you refuse to comply, they can take your tags and tow your car on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #33
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMyE30 View Post
Quote:
There is no federal law governing window tint. It's up to the individual states. With VA writing out of state vehicles? Ever heard the expression, "when in rome do as the romans do?" If you want to drive in VA without the possibility of getting hassled, make sure your vehicle complies with VA laws. I write out of state tint, although it's not very often and they usually have to be doing something else like speeding, etc. When I check a car with darker than VA code tint and out of state plates, it's always darker than their home state allows anyway. I check before I write the ticket. Also, if you keep getting pulled for tint (VA residents) and you refuse to comply, they can take your tags and tow your car on the spot.
Interstate commerce clause states that the person only has to comply with the laws of their state while driving, even if driving through other states. For example, someone from WV would NOT have to put on a front license plate or change their front tint from 35% to 50% just to be able to drive in VA. It doesn't matter if there is a Federal law for tint.
      08-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #34
MissMyE30
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Interstate commerce clause states that the person only has to comply with the laws of their state while driving, even if driving through other states. For example, someone from WV would NOT have to put on a front license plate or change their front tint from 35% to 50% just to be able to drive in VA. It doesn't matter if there is a Federal law for tint.
You're not 'in commerce.' Driving a personal vehicle through another state is not trade related and therefore subject to ICC enforcement. Even if it was a business vehicle it has to be proven that the law has a significant impact on the ability to conduct business. Tinted windows is an equipment violation and completely enforceable.

In South Carolina State Highway Department v. Barnwell Brothers, Inc. (1938), South Carolina passed a law imposing limits on the weight and width of trucks on its state highways. The Supreme Court upheld the state law and held that states may regulate trucks to promote safety and prevent damage to highways, provided they do not discriminate between trucks traveling in interstate commerce and those traveling only in-state.
Appreciate 0