E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Independent Ventilation / Heating system

11-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Independent Ventilation / Heating system

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with this?
This is basically where you set a timer on the iDrive for when you want the car to automatically cool or heat its interior.
The process lasts for 30 minutes and works once per short journey.
I assume the heating process requires the car to switch the engine on.
Not to be confused with the REST button.

I read this in the manual when I first got the car and planned to use the heating function come winter time to warm things up and help defrost windows. I went to give it a test run this morning and the iDrive only has the ventilation function..... which works by the way. Do you think obtaining the heating function is a coding thing or will I need new parts?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Not codable no, far from it.....

I'm sure your not the first to be mislead by this pointless feature (i Know I was)

There's no independant heating or cooling in the UK, only independant ventilation.

Independant heating is an option abroad using a webasto heater under the bonnet, there can be no independant cooling as the AC needs the engine to be running (an option on higher / newer models with remote start)

All the feature you describe does is run the fans for the set time to blow fresh air in.

So only any real use parked up on a hot day to blow a bit of outside air in before you get back to the car, works ok in that case, provided you remember to set it when its not hot in the morning! And you have to set it every time, no repeat is available...

IIRC it was on my pre LCI, but not on my current LCI?

Last edited by doughboy; 11-12-2012 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that. I have been noticing the car seems to have a few pointless features but haven't really picked on it on this forum because I can assume they could be useful features for a small selection of people.

The manual didn't really differentiate this feature from everything else with an * (asterisk) so I assumed it was a standard feature.

I guess fitting a remote start alarm will be the easiest way to get this feature then. I was trying to avoid doing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep

+1, so much of the manual is 'optional' you're never quite sure.

Remote start is a lot of trouble for a few chilly mornings, just buy some gloves, the car will warm much quicker when its moving...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy
+1, so much of the manual is 'optional' you're never quite sure.

Remote start is a lot of trouble for a few chilly mornings, just buy some gloves, the car will warm much quicker when its moving...
I'm concerned about things breaking easily in the cold weather. I.E. the folding mirror. And when the door glass decides not to drop down as you open the door.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also I'm not sure how the weather will effect the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Mate, any modern car is tested from the sahara to the artic circle.

I really wouldn't worry about the cold doing any harm in the UK. Turbos run at near 1000 degC, so starting from a 20 degress less makes no odds to the operating range.

-30 is a walk in the park for a modern car, if you've ever been to scandinavia you'll know they have plug in points on their driveways to hook up the car at night to power a small water heater/pump in the engine to keep it cosy.

But thats for -40 ish, where your eye lids freeze & summer tyres crack and burst......not quite London
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Mate, any modern car is tested from the sahara to the artic circle.

I really wouldn't worry about the cold doing any harm in the UK. Turbos run at near 1000 degC, so starting from a 20 degress less makes no odds to the operating range.

-30 is a walk in the park for a modern car, if you've ever been to scandinavia you'll know they have plug in points on their driveways to hook up the car at night to power a small water heater/pump in the engine to keep it cosy.

But thats for -40 ish, where your eye lids freeze & summer tyres crack and burst......not quite London
lol, alright cool. So folding mirrors can be folded up when parked over night?
I know some functions of the car will refuse to operate until they've warmed up. Convertible feature is one; not that you would need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Those Webasto things are rather good though. There's one on our Touran but we didn't know anything about it until it kicked in for the first time on a chilly morning. Cue smoke and me thinking the car was on fire. It does warm the interior up very quickly.
Appreciate 0