E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > should i take my spacers off before visiting the dealer?

01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

should i take my spacers off before visiting the dealer?

Hey folks, gotta take my car in for rear brakes tomorrow. Car isn't very modded. Some LED's here or there, and wheel spacers. Nothing aggressive, just enough to push em' out a bit.

When I take the car in for service, should I be concerned that they are gonna give me crap for having 'aftermarket spacers' on there?

Car is covered under factory warranty, a CPO, and a maintenance plan.

Thanks folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

You probably should remove it to be on the safe side. Who knows what the dealer will say about them
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

FWIW, I have never removed my spacers for service, but then again I never went in for suspension service, since I have coilovers. I wouldn't worry about spacers if you are going in for engine work. If Something is funky in the transmission or driveline, it might be worth removing them, but not for routine service.

Also, I have had multiple brake changes with spacers. Here's how to think about removing stuff for warranty...

The Dealer WANTS to do the service, because BMW pays them. The Local BMW Field Rep will rarely if ever question a standard maintenance brake service. Now if you go in for a blown turbo, the field rep almost always looks the car over, this is when all Downpipes, piggybacks, software must be removed.

Remember the Dealer is generally on your side UNTIL the Field Reps are involved, and a brake job will not raise the red flag with BMW corporate, unless you have had like 3-4 in the last year.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Why the hell would a dealer care about wheel spacers?

There's nothing to be afraid of with such small mods. They cant deny you work under warranty for such a small and stupid mod.
      01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

hey i'd agree with the logic and I understand with what you guys are saying... but i only bought the car three months ago, this would be the first time I'm taking it in for service, ever, and I dont know how big of a deal dealers make things.

Thanks for the the tips though... I'm gonna leave em on... I really dont wanna have to go pull them off just for something small like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
SDV325
N54 or N55?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 99 Impreza 2.5RS

They will only really find fault with something if one they didn't sell it to you and install it or two, the part(s) in question can be directly linked to a major component that failed.

Such as severe engine troubles when you have an intake, exhaust, tunes, etc or in your case the wheel spacers cause premature wheel bearing failure.
      01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

leave them on, I dont see it being a problem.
Appreciate 0