E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Superhargers available?

06-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

I couldn't agree more with e90pilot. I was 'this close' to pulling the trigger on a 335 before I bought the 328. Thank heavens the wife convinced me to go with the wagon. I was really attracted to the 335 because I saw it as the spiritual successor to my long departed Audi S4 biturbo. That car was stage 4 for 50,000 miles putting out over 420bhp and never once broke. Those 2.7T engines were just so robust and overbuilt in that traditional German way. There were plenty of those cars putting down 500-600 awhp and you just never heard about fueling issues or cooling problems. 335s don't even seem to be able to go to the track at stock power levels and perform consistently. I know bringing up the S4 on a BMW board will draw some fire but it seems to me that the 2.7T was everything the N54 will never be. Shame...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
Forced induction creates many issues that are unforeseen until you actually run the engine. Hence the reason BMW has gone N/A for so long. If you think you won't have issues with an aftermarket kit being applied to an engine that was originally intended to be N/A then you are wrong. This isn't an LS1 you can just slap a Vortec S/C onto.

I'm not a fan of forced induction, to many issues to deal with. I think our engines will have issues of it's own once you start trying to run more then 8 lbs. of boost. It takes a lot of time and money to build a kit that can be sold on a mass scale. Many of the mainstream manufacturers are going to be hesitant because they know that cost vs benefit just won't be there. If you add 100 bhp to a 328 you are now at the same level as the 335 and it will cost you what $7K+? For $300 I can add 100-125 bhp and keep the reliability of the N/A 328. Granted I know most people are hesitant about spraying nitrous on a BMW which I can understand.

-Nate
Well, I don't think you can make any conjecture on the reason why BMW has gone N/A for so long. I don't think reliability is the reason because they made one of the most unreliable cars they've in there history. They've said the reason they stayed away for turbos is the fact that turbos don't have the same feel as a N/A cars. New turbo technology has made all those annoying traits about their power delivery much less annoying.

I also never said an FI N52 won't have issues. I'm saying no one knows. Everyone here loves to say things without any understanding of what's really going on. What sort of internal pressures and temperature can it handle? I dunno... Do you have to resleave it? Does it need a new crank? No one on this forum knows the answer to any of these questions. And until someone tries, no one will.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I feel like I just lost a lot of time from my life reading garbage...again.

Marcelo is right. End of story.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
ChrisJadesFireF82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

am i the only one thats happy i drive a beautiful looking comfortable and wonderfully handeling BMW??? would i like 300+ hp...yes...do i truly need it?..absolutly not

once i save up n spend the dough on a new muffler and the euro intake...ill be more then happy with my car...i drove a 2003 4door accord v6(that i loved by the way hondas are great cars) and this car is slightly faster and in stick and ten times sexier not to mention handles like a dream(accrod was a better ride suspension but its expected on rft's and being sportier)...all in all..ima happy camper

supercharging this car makes zero sense...u have 8k?...trade in ur car add 8k to the dp and get a 335...end of story

plus...ladies know no diff between a 328 and 335 lol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

I just drive it for what it is...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Once again you all fail to see our argument. If you don't want to invest money in a project like this, fine. Quit your bitching and whining and let the people that DO want to make it happen worry about it. Sound fair?
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #29
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Personally I don't really care if a supercharger ever is developed. I just find these things interesting. I'm just sick of hearing "go trade up to a 335i." If I really wanted to I would have, but I don't. I don't like the 335. Someone just posted a vehicle history of a 335 they wanted to buy and it had 3 HPFPs replaced, injectors replaced, several software updates, and more. The next several posts were, "that's normal for a 335" or something along those lines. I'd rather deal with a supercharger.

I'm actually would be more interested is some NA mods. Maybe some upgraded internals, valve ports or cams. No one really has explored these yet. Yes, it would be expensive but I would still rather do that than get a 335. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "I would rather blowtorch my nipples off."
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Those 2.7T engines were just so robust and overbuilt in that traditional German way. There were plenty of those cars putting down 500-600 awhp and you just never heard about fueling issues or cooling problems.

A bit OT, but you are absolutely right, they didn't have fueling problems, they just used to puke the turbos at high rates of frequency - maybe almost as much as the 335i's puke fuel pumps (ok, maybe not that much haha). And once the turbos went on that 2.7, you pretty much had to pull the motor out to work on it. I know two people that had them, and eventually, both of them lost their turbos. the engine itself was stout, but other parts of the car, like the electronics seem to be more buggy than the bmw were at the time.

As far as the SC project, I think Gavin really meant well, but it was probably a bit too much for one person to tackle without help from someone very experienced with that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #31
jpop8807
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Schwin

Hmmm no one helped the guy really lol. More like concentrated on Gavin. No supercharger as of yet. A few people on hear have been successful with nitrous. I haven't seen any dyno charts or anything. But I guess that would be the best bet. There has been a great debate if headers do anything. Then another debate as of exhuast loses/gains power. Lastly it just came down to buy it for the sound not the performance. AA tune and OE tune i heard are great bang for your buck. just my .02 cents
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #32
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop8807 View Post
Then another debate as of exhuast loses/gains power.
My car is proof that gains are possible with just a simple muffler delete so I don't think that's much of a debate.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #33
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
no offense I am sure you do like your car but nobody gets more defensive about n52 engine and how you would have bought it had you wanted to. Everyone knows nobody chooses a 325 over a 330/335. Both fine cars but let's just be honest ok
A 330 stickered for about $8-10k more than mine. Oh but it had premium audio and 40 more HP. And I don't need to explain the 335. So yes, I would choose a 325 over the 330/335, and I'm not the only one with that mentality. I know a BMW sales manager, a tech, and a master tech who reccomend N52 powered BMWs over N54 powered ones. I guess I could sell mine and get a 330 (which I do believe is a better car) but that would ending up costing quite a bit of money considering I have pretty much the same car. Maybe in your mind none of that makes sense, but that's my point. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone. We've all heard the argument for trading up to a 335 (which I don't believe is a better car). We all know it's an option. And we've all seen it here thousands of times.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #34
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

A Bimmer is a Bimmer regardless, one has more power, the other has less. Having a SC/Turbo is an option, not necessarily required. For the most part, as long its not a Jeep feeling Camry and a lawnmower, thats all we should care about. I bought a 328i because the price was right, would've/could've bought a 335 but I can always wait later on for something new.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #35
Handsome_Rob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i w/6spd!

If anyone needs one of those Infernal 335s, there is a sh*t ton of them in the classified section of the forum. Sure are a lot of people getting rid of them...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #36
ChrisJadesFireF82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

honestly if a supercharger ever did come out for our cars and was 100% on point id give it a look...just the way i look at it 8000 bucks is a lot of money to invest in something taht will shorten the life of your car...also if you ever have problems u cant goto bmw so u have to go to someone who knows what their doing with this and im sure theirs not many who have the knowledge of a supercharged n52 engine...so its hard to jusitfy i mean if i have 8k saved up which will take me a while bc i just wiped myself out by then ill trade my car in n add that to the dp for somethin with younger legs...

but again i loooovvee my car...the color combo the look what im doing to it mod wise...bmw doesnt make my color anymore and i dont like the newer 3 series...so id be tempted to supercharge it and make her a unique sexy beast...but again i dont think id break the bank for it...plus its not even available so why we eve discussing it so much
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #37
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

You guys hate on the 335 so much.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #38
Handsome_Rob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i w/6spd!

As a former E90 330 owner I can say I absolutely loved the car. I thought it was a great product and shouldn't have been killed off. I think it could have been better if it had about 30-40 more hp. But the chassis, handling and the way it drove made me pretty happy. Even though a SC isn't viable right now that may not be a bad thing. Keep your 328s, 330s and 325s for now. Everyone says how much they love them so it's not that big of a loss. The SC isn't really a loss because you didn't have it to begin with. Most of this is disappointment rearing it's ugly head. I think we all agree that 300hp NA is a good thing. I think it's an attainable goal with time and research. It will be more reliable and way more fun than a SC, IMO. With a Euro box, 3 STG intake and a tune I think it would be pretty close. Not to mention a nicer free flowing exhaust. Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
This is completely fine but then why get so defensive and write a book justifying why you wanted the 325 to every thread implying its better to have gotten a 330 or 335? If you truly feel this way great but do not get wildly defensive-its just showing your true colors. Act composed and if you do not really care you would not respond to every post with a book on your decision making process. Who do you have to justfy this to?
Show me where I get "wildly defensive." lol. And what are my "true colors?" You still fail to see my point and are trying to be all high and mighty. If you've actually read my posts, I've given facts to support my opinion. If that's "wildly defensive" and not "composed" then I'm guilty as charged. This is a message board where we discuss things. If everybody just kept to themselves there wouldn't be much of a forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i love my car. maybe too much. don't need moar power or mods to be happy either, but they do add individuality which i also enjoy.

i think that's what you should be thinking when you go into buying a car.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #41
gindajatt1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a criminal!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368899
Appreciate 0