E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > My 335d: Injectors, Carbon, DDE

02-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #155
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by konvict
update: car broke down on way to work this morning... cant even drive it anymore just stutters then goes to limp mode. will be towed to dealer i guess... or another shop since dealer isnt doing much with it..but who will lol
I feel for ya bud. No way if want to own this car outside of warranty.

I hate to say it but I'd take bit to the dealer. At least then you have a 2 year warranty on all parts and labor. Not many independents are proficient on the bmw diesels yet.
      02-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #156
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I had a big mess on the bottom cover after dealer did brake fluid flush and also another time after oil change. I don't think they give a f$$* about leaving a mess. I removed the cover and attempted to clean it with carb cleaner spray. It is still stained but dry so that it won't be attracting dirt.

Interesting that you got the throttle body off without needing to pull tube. I like to do it in part to inspect how much oil is carrying up the charge pipe.

Sorry your issue has went from bad to worse. Good luck with dealer.
thanks man. apparently it could be the red flexible boost hose thats leaked oil- according to a google search. apparently a puma case open about it so im seeing if dealer can look at that.

also i think i misspoke- i had to take the top part of charge pipe off- wher eit connects to throttle body but not the lower part at bottom of engine
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #157
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I feel for ya bud. No way if want to own this car outside of warranty.

I hate to say it but I'd take bit to the dealer. At least then you have a 2 year warranty on all parts and labor. Not many independents are proficient on the bmw diesels yet.
yeah man id have to agree with you. no point really towing anywhere else as i also need a courtesy car... so ill have to suck it up and pay the $1k to get egr installed and then another $5-600 for intake manifold cleaning and then who knows what else...

i do have 3.5 year warranty left on the veh but its aftermarket- not from BMW... and thy cover notthing to do with "regular maintenance" which they classify anything to do with carbon buildup.. and nothing to do with emissions.. which is what thy classify the egr valve to being.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #158
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Well, right on schedule, my SES light went on at 54,000 miles. I have a 2010 CPO 335d. I have owned it for about a year and the only problem I have had is a leak from the oil return line to the turbo. Fortunately my dealer is located in a town with a lot of wealthy earth nuggets who are inclined to buy diesels, i.e., the dealer repairs a lot of 335ds. To state the obvious, the SA (a very good one) simply stated "you don't own a 335d without a 100K warranty" period, full stop.

Like a lot of other people on this thread, I am car guy and I drive my 335d hard but I also take care of it. The 335d is an unusual, fantastic car...I sometimes wonder how the hell the product development team at BMW got a 425 ft/lbs 3 series approved for the US market. Unfortunately, the 335d is also a unique AND highly engineered car with all the associated problems. Yes, I know they have been selling diesels in Europe for years but there is no doubt that the development of the computerized engine control and the clearly half-assed emissions system did not fully factor in CA air regs, US diesel quality, etc.

When you boil it down, we are all have a variation on the same problem...fuel, carbon, emissions issues. For what it is worth, and as many of you already know, BMW has carbon deposit issues with its recent gasoline engines as well. Cold comfort.

My two cents: politely go into the dealership loaded for bear. Tell them that they need to look at the DDE first not last. If they want to pull the head and replace the injectors, fine, knock yourself out. Also make them look at the turbos. The oil return line and vacuum lines are a problem especially when the car is driven hard. My gut tells me that a lot of 335ds have fouled turbos that will fail.

Finally, do not for one second assume the SA knows more than you do about your car. Avoid getting a young SA unless he is a nerd that appreciates diesels. As in any profession some of the dealer SAs are terrific and many are god awful. If you treat a good SA decently they will advocate on your behalf...if you don't, plan on driving your loaner for several months. Ask to speak with the mechanic directly. You'll be able to tell how much they know about diesels very quickly.

In the next 18 months many, many 2009-2011 335ds are gonna break 100K and lose warranty coverage. BMWNA is not going to be able to ignore us.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #159
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Well, right on schedule, my SES light went on at 54,000 miles. I have a 2010 CPO 335d. I have owned it for about a year and the only problem I have had is a leak from the oil return line to the turbo. Fortunately my dealer is located in a town with a lot of wealthy earth nuggets who are inclined to buy diesels, i.e., the dealer repairs a lot of 335ds. To state the obvious, the SA (a very good one) simply stated "you don't own a 335d without a 100K warranty" period, full stop.

Like a lot of other people on this thread, I am car guy and I drive my 335d hard but I also take care of it. The 335d is an unusual, fantastic car...I sometimes wonder how the hell the product development team at BMW got a 425 ft/lbs 3 series approved for the US market. Unfortunately, the 335d is also a unique AND highly engineered car with all the associated problems. Yes, I know they have been selling diesels in Europe for years but there is no doubt that the development of the computerized engine control and the clearly half-assed emissions system did not fully factor in CA air regs, US diesel quality, etc.

When you boil it down, we are all have a variation on the same problem...fuel, carbon, emissions issues. For what it is worth, and as many of you already know, BMW has carbon deposit issues with its recent gasoline engines as well. Cold comfort.

My two cents: politely go into the dealership loaded for bear. Tell them that they need to look at the DDE first not last. If they want to pull the head and replace the injectors, fine, knock yourself out. Also make them look at the turbos. The oil return line and vacuum lines are a problem especially when the car is driven hard. My gut tells me that a lot of 335ds have fouled turbos that will fail.

Finally, do not for one second assume the SA knows more than you do about your car. Avoid getting a young SA unless he is a nerd that appreciates diesels. As in any profession some of the dealer SAs are terrific and many are god awful. If you treat a good SA decently they will advocate on your behalf...if you don't, plan on driving your loaner for several months. Ask to speak with the mechanic directly. You'll be able to tell how much they know about diesels very quickly.

In the next 18 months many, many 2009-2011 335ds are gonna break 100K and lose warranty coverage. BMWNA is not going to be able to ignore us.
well said! keep us posted with your car since your techs will probably know more about diesels than mine up here in canada- not many diesels come by here.

also update for mine- they said the intake manifold needs carbon cleaning- i already had this done. $900 i spent and now theyre saying but we didnt send out the head... we just walnut blasted while it was on engine still???... i was pissed... and not ready to pay to send it out now to do same thing i thought they already did...

also the EGR valve that they said failed? they replaced my EGR back in 2012 already... i said they are replacing that for free since its their part that failed within 2 years... and im waiting to hear back from them- want my $600 diagnosis cost reinbursed. i paid $600 to diagnose and they come back saying its the same 2 issues we already knew about and i already paid them to fix? thats unacceptable
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #160
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Few days ago I went through every single available BMW SIB for the M57Y, not a single one of them was to address the soot/carbon build up. There were SIBs for DDE replacement. Only one remotely related was EGR vavle update, since the old vavle was prone to sticking from carbon build up.

Either the 335d issue is not "big enough" yet, or BMW NA is not taking an active role since the market for the 335d is relatively small. However they (BMW ENGINEERING) are fully aware of the common issues with the 335d. Regardless, if they don't start to acknowledge this, they can say good bye to the diesel market in the US. Audi and MB make fantastic diesels now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #161
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Either the 335d issue is not "big enough" yet, or BMW NA is not taking an active role since the market for the 335d is relatively small. However they (BMW ENGINEERING) are fully aware of the common issues with the 335d. Regardless, if they don't start to acknowledge this, they can say good bye to the diesel market in the US. Audi and MB make fantastic diesels now.
Even though I can say I have not had issues with the diesel yet, I do have a problem with no AWD option. I have already found my next diesel vehicle when my contract is done and it is not made by BMW.
      02-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #162
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
Even though I can say I have not had issues with the diesel yet, I do have a problem with no AWD option. I have already found my next diesel vehicle when my contract is done and it is not made by BMW.
just curious...what are you going for? im waiting for the m3 sedan but im a little annoyed with BMW all together... only other cars i like right now is the new porsche cayman (which is expensive up here $100k+) or the Lotus Evora which I havent test driven yet so no idea what its like to live with. anything like the Elise and its a no lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #163
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by konvict View Post
just curious...what are you going for? im waiting for the m3 sedan but im a little annoyed with BMW all together... only other cars i like right now is the new porsche cayman (which is expensive up here $100k+) or the Lotus Evora which I havent test driven yet so no idea what its like to live with. anything like the Elise and its a no lol
I'm gonna guess it's the A6 TDI he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #164
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Dealer just told me the wastegate on turbo is leaking and will be replaced. I guess I dodged a bullet for now. I am going to have them printout the service history as well as all the codes. I want to know what has been done to my car to date. I am little irritated given that I told the younger SA that the car had no low end punch. Very curious to see how it drives post fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #165
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have a 2011 335d with 49000 miles. I haven't driven it much in 2014. I haven't had injectors replaced but this latest trip to the dealer they ended up sending the head out to be cleaned of carbon buildup. I tried with the SA to engage in discussion of getting DDE replaced but SA just said to buy the extended warranty.

Any advice on getting through to them on replacing the DDE would be appreciated. This is my first BMW. I intended to drive it 500,000 miles. Instead it might be my last BMW…

I have seen some posts on additives for fuel. Is the consensus that additives will really help to prevent carbon buildup or is it just wishful thinking?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #166
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Not all DDEs are bad. It's when the dealer keeps replacing injectors to resolve SES, especially the same one more than once, then it's often the DDE, and not the injectors.

In regards to additives and carbon, I can't see how it will help at all. The fuel (with the additive) being direct injected, is downstream of the intake system.

I'm at 43k miles on our 2011 model and have yet to see an SES. Keeping my fingers crossed. No additives, maintenance by the book except Changing the oil about every 7K miles (I do in between changes myself.)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #167
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
In regards to additives and carbon, I can't see how it will help at all. The fuel (with the additive) being direct injected, is downstream of the intake system.
I think the carbon build up is from the soot (EGR valve) and the oil vapors in the intake (PCV valve). A fraction of the exhaust gas (before filtering by the DPF) is recirculated in the intake. Additive that reduce the soot level may help.

An oil with low volatility (Mobil 1 ESP?) may also help.

Disclosure: This is only speculation from my part!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #168
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by konvict View Post
Macan TDi. With tune it will be close to the 335D power except it will have all the things required to drive on crappy prairie roads, get similar fuel economy and performance. AWD is a must in winter and I like the idea of having a spare tire and not having to think about run flats which are a stupid idea for Canadians.
      02-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #169
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
Macan TDi. With tune it will be close to the 335D power except it will have all the things required to drive on crappy prairie roads, get similar fuel economy and performance. AWD is a must in winter and I like the idea of having a spare tire and not having to think about run flats which are a stupid idea for Canadians.
that vehicle does look pretty nice... i have a great 2014 320i as a courtesy car...man it blows... they do have a 2014 boxster at my dealer may go take a look since i like the new design
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #170
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealer just told me the wastegate on turbo is leaking and will be replaced. I guess I dodged a bullet for now. I am going to have them printout the service history as well as all the codes. I want to know what has been done to my car to date. I am little irritated given that I told the younger SA that the car had no low end punch. Very curious to see how it drives post fix.
Just got the car back from the dealer post SES light.

Fault codes: 4873, 4D16

Replaced pressure converter for turbo and vac lines. Not enough vac to acuate EGR flap. Replaced all hoses to vac reservoir. Cleaned metering valve on emissions...metering valve was "caked up".

In any event, not know a lot about the codes above it is now clear to me that the smaller turbo was not providing much if any boost at low speeds. A few months ago I remember thinking the car had lost some of its low speed drivability and there was just more gravely diesel pulling from low speeds. That said, when I jumped on the gas the thing still pulled like a freight train once the bigger turbo kicked in. Long story short I should have been more insistent about having the dealer look at the turbos. The car drives one hell of a lot better around town. Engine no longer feels like it is working at low speed and the power delivery is must smoother and more linear.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #171
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

^glad your car is fixed hope it lasts

got a call from my dealer today- said thy replaced a vaccuum hose and the oil leak was coming from the oil cap which was cracked?... and they need to replace EGR which they are paying for since it was their part they installed. wont get car back til next week...maybe... not surewhat other faults theyll find but ill update what codes they say ive got when i go in
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #172
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

so now bmw wants to go carbon cleaning on the cylinder heads- i saw it and there is a bit of buildup. spoke with tech who said he replaced a vacuum hose and some other small parts. car still drives like shit so they gonna do cleaning now. tried to charge $2300 for diagnosis and cleaning and parts.... got it down to 1k cos estimate was just ridiculous.

will see next week if car can actually drive...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #173
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE: picked up my car after yet another $1k bill... although they wanted to charge $2300 but i got it cut to 1k.

-EGR replaced under their 2 year warranty as it was their part that "failed".
-Oil cap was cracked and leaking oil thru it- that was the large oil spill i found on bottom of car.
-carbon cleaning of cylinder head and valve cover
-vacuum hose replaced
-put in stock air filter- the K&N filter they said caused issues...?

picked up the car- drives great- put a smile on my face. im hoping thats the last of the carbon issues and issues in general... but i fear its not. i'll enjoy the car for the time being tho!

--would our car benefit from a CAI system? any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #174
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

What a crock. You should have been charged zilch and gotten an apology for selling you a car with such serious design flaws. This car is about as good an investment as a boat. Wish I didn't love driving the POS so damn much...

Hope your car stays sound from here.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #175
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What a crock. You should have been charged zilch and gotten an apology for selling you a car with such serious design flaws. This car is about as good an investment as a boat. Wish I didn't love driving the POS so damn much...

Hope your car stays sound from here.
it lasted all of one day....CEL is back on.

gonna call tomorrow and take it from there. im pretty pissed off tho as you can expect.
car drives fine still MPG is up and no stuttering on any RPM range which is a positive. jsut tired of throwing money at it. i spent $30k of aftermarket parts on my 350z back in the day and spent less on maintenance than this! and this cars stock!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #176
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry man...what a drag. I'll say it again...it is amazing how these 335d chat boards have changed. 18 months ago the bulk of the posts were about which tune was best JBD vs DTUK vs Renntech. Now it is nothing but mechanical issues. BMW has a mess on its hands.
Appreciate 0