E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Estimate Cost: 2009 328i Sedan Tune Up?

04-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Estimate Cost: 2009 328i Sedan Tune Up?

What's the average cost for a yearly tune up at a third party shop? I didn't buy the maintenance warrantee, so how much would I be spending a year on Maintenance? (With out authentic BMW parts).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
What's the average cost for a yearly tune up at a third party shop? I didn't buy the maintenance warrantee, so how much would I be spending a year on Maintenance? (With out authentic BMW parts).
If you run at bmw's mait intervals not much really but its all based on how you drive the car cause based on that high rpms etc the car will figure out when it has to be serviced. Most of us diy so not really sure what it runs at dealer. Spark plugs is 100k mile interval, oil 16-19k brakes are in neighborhood of 30+ k .....IF nothing breaks they arnt expensive to maintain if it does break its pretty penny looking 600-1500$ roughly depending on what not diying.

Id highly recomend getting familiar with diys cause they arnt cheap maintain at any shop really.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata
Quote:
If you run at bmw's mait intervals not much really but its all based on how you drive the car cause based on that high rpms etc the car will figure out when it has to be serviced. Most of us diy so not really sure what it runs at dealer. Spark plugs is 100k mile interval, oil 16-19k brakes are in neighborhood of 30+ k .....IF nothing breaks they arnt expensive to maintain if it does break its pretty penny looking 600-1500$ roughly depending on what not diying.

Id highly recomend getting familiar with diys cause they arnt cheap maintain at any shop really.
Well, I purchased my vehicle under CPO. So I don't have to worry about engine problems. I just have to pay for maintenance. How much would a third party BMW shop charge for a Oil Change? What would need to be changed within 12 months? I'm at 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, so you're on the wrong path already. First off, always use BMW OE parts. Take this advice to heart from someone who DIY's everything and has owned BMWs for 25 years; use only BMW parts. Second, BMW's oil is very good, meets BMW's specs and if bought in a kit (oil and filter) from various on-line BMW part retailers is reasonably priced. Using a non-BMW filter, but OEM like Mahle, will not include all the necessary O-rings that the BMW OE filter will have. Find a good BMW Independent repair shop and educate yourself on the car so you can speak to the service advisor intelligently. You may want to invest in the Bentley service manual ($80) just so you know what procedures the shop will be charging you for, like when the water pump goes.

shata's advice is pretty spot on. If it were me, I'd stash away about $100 a month toward maintenance and repair. At 50,000 miles, you need an engine air filter; have it replaced at the next oil change (unless you just had one, then get the filter replaced soon). Regarding oil changes, there are two camps here on E90 Post. Folks either believe in BMW's OCI (oil change interval), or they don't. You'll see guys like me who follow the OCI and guys that cut it in half "just to be safe". Most people here are conservative about oil and change it at every 7,500 miles. There is a 3rd camp that sends the oil out for analysis at $25 a pop, to Blackstone labs, and the response back is the oil should be changed every 10,000 miles. It's your money, so you can do what you want. I'm one of two guys here that have 200K+ miles on their car, the other guy seems to have followed BMW's maintenance schedule too.

Good luck with your car.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-13-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Well, I purchased my vehicle under CPO. So I don't have to worry about engine problems. I just have to pay for maintenance. How much would a third party BMW shop charge for a Oil Change? What would need to be changed within 12 months? I'm at 50k miles.
Your car should have come with a "Service/Warranty" manual which details BMW service recommendations. Oil changes are determined by CBS or one year, whichever comes first, and generally cost about $120 at a BMW dealer. My dealer, like some others, offers coupons for an $80 oil change. Other scheduled maintenance includes brake fluid every two years, an Inspection every 30k miles and plugs every 100,000 miles. There is no "Tune-Up" per se.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Okay, so you're on the wrong path already. First off, always use BMW OE parts. Take this advice to heart from someone who DIY's everything and has owned BMWs for 25 years; use only BMW parts. Second, BMW's oil is very good, meets BMW's specs and if bought in a kit (oil and filter) from various on-line BMW part retailers is reasonably priced. Using a non-BMW filter, but OEM like Mahle, will not include all the necessary O-rings that the BMW OE filter will have. Find a good BMW Independent repair shop and educate yourself on the car so you can speak to the service advisor intelligently. You may want to invest in the Bentley service manual ($80) just so you know what procedures the shop will be charging you for, like when the water pump goes.

shata's advice is pretty spot on. If it were me, I'd stash away about $100 a month toward maintenance and repair. At 50,000 miles, you need an engine air filter; have it replaced at the next oil change (unless you just had one, then get the filter replaced soon). Regarding oil changes, there are two camps here on E90 Post. Folks either believe in BMW's OCI (oil change interval), or they don't. You'll see guys like me who follow the OCI and guys that cut it in half "just to be safe". Most people here are conservative about oil and change it at every 7,500 miles. There is a 3rd camp that sends the oil out for analysis at $25 a pop, to Blackstone labs, and the response back is the oil should be changed every 10,000 miles. It's your money, so you can do what you want. I'm one of two guys here that have 200K+ miles on their car, the other guy seems to have followed BMW's maintenance schedule too.

Good luck with your car.
Thanks! Very informative. I'll just stick with the authentic parts. The way the public looks at BMWs is that everything is expensive. So that's why I was curious. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Thanks! Very informative. I'll just stick with the authentic parts. The way the public looks at BMWs is that everything is expensive. So that's why I was curious. Thanks for your time.
The worst thing you can do with a BMW is let someone work on it that has no experience working on them; it will cost you more money in the long run. Good luck. Welcome to the family.
Appreciate 0