E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Gas smell after installing Procede

03-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
jason335777
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Gas smell after installing Procede

Ok, I have had my Procede rev.2 out for a few months because I had the car in for oil change and spark plug service and never put it back in. No problems at all stock, except a little rough idle which apparently is a problem after getting plugs. The car has 42,000 miles.

So, I sent in the rev.2 for the rev.3 with NLS. I installed it, and everything seems to work fine. However, when I get on it and go through a couple gears, I distinctly smell gas. This does not happen unless I get on it. I tested this 3 times by driving normally with no gas smell, and then gas smell once I get on it. I'm on map 1, car has no other mods.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Procede, but this problem clearly appeared with the installation of it. There are no check engine lights or limp mode or anything. I wonder if it's the map because the rev.2 map was fine. Perhaps this is unburnt fuel?? I'm not sure where the smell is coming from. I don't think it's the engine bay. I smell it right away inside the car. Thanks if you can help!
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600, flush signals, undertail delete, carbon fiber exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason335777 View Post
Ok, I have had my Procede rev.2 out for a few months because I had the car in for oil change and spark plug service and never put it back in. No problems at all stock, except a little rough idle which apparently is a problem after getting plugs. The car has 42,000 miles.

So, I sent in the rev.2 for the rev.3 with NLS. I installed it, and everything seems to work fine. However, when I get on it and go through a couple gears, I distinctly smell gas. This does not happen unless I get on it. I tested this 3 times by driving normally with no gas smell, and then gas smell once I get on it. I'm on map 1, car has no other mods.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Procede, but this problem clearly appeared with the installation of it. There are no check engine lights or limp mode or anything. I wonder if it's the map because the rev.2 map was fine. Perhaps this is unburnt fuel?? I'm not sure where the smell is coming from. I don't think it's the engine bay. I smell it right away inside the car. Thanks if you can help!
Are you sure you are smelling unburnt fuel and not clutch? There really should be no correlation between fuel smell and running a tune. The only to smell unburned fuel from inside the car while driving is if you had an actual fuel leak. And that would be bad. Do you smell fuel under your hood? If so, you need to take the car back to the dealership and have them check all the fuel rail fittings.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
jason335777
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Are you sure you are smelling unburnt fuel and not clutch? There really should be no correlation between fuel smell and running a tune. The only to smell unburned fuel from inside the car while driving is if you had an actual fuel leak. And that would be bad. Do you smell fuel under your hood? If so, you need to take the car back to the dealership and have them check all the fuel rail fittings.

Shiv
It is definitely not clutch (I know that smell lol). It surely is fuel, and only when I open it up. This did not happen a few days ago before the procede. I do not smell it under the hood. Its either the back of the car or under it..not sure...I was standing beside the passenger door and smelled it. I should try map 0 and see if does the same thing. I dont mind having the dealer looking at it, but will have to remove the procede in which case the problem will probably go away. I dont know...unless this problem just happened to be a coincidence. Also note that I recently filled up the tank 100%. I've used a little bit of fuel since.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
I would definitely burn a qtr tank and then rip her open the following day. I had the same thing happen with my Ducati when filling up the tank to full and parking in garage smelled like gas. Notice it was a gas leak and Ducati told me is the tank design. It pores out excess gas when tank is full and bike is stationary. So I now just make sure I fill up well before I get home

I will try to burn some gas and run her again the next day. If same problem occurs, try older maps to see if it is a Procede issue cause by the AFR when you open her up.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason335777 View Post
It is definitely not clutch (I know that smell lol). It surely is fuel, and only when I open it up. This did not happen a few days ago before the procede. I do not smell it under the hood. Its either the back of the car or under it..not sure...I was standing beside the passenger door and smelled it. I should try map 0 and see if does the same thing. I dont mind having the dealer looking at it, but will have to remove the procede in which case the problem will probably go away. I dont know...unless this problem just happened to be a coincidence. Also note that I recently filled up the tank 100%. I've used a little bit of fuel since.
Running more or less boost shouldn't have any effect on your fuel smell. It's possible that you have have some short of clog in your evap system which might be getting pressurized under boost. I'm just guessing here though...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

If it is the raw smell of fuel. The exact same that you get when you sniff the pump (not recommended) then you are smelling fuel before it goes into the engine. That immediately rules out the tune. I would have the dealership or an experienced mechanic take a good look at your tank, fuel lines, etc. Once it combusts, the smell changes in my experience.

A tune would have no effect on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
If it is the raw smell of fuel. The exact same that you get when you sniff the pump (not recommended) then you are smelling fuel before it goes into the engine. That immediately rules out the tune. I would have the dealership or an experienced mechanic take a good look at your tank, fuel lines, etc. Once it combusts, the smell changes in my experience.

+1
Raw fuel and unburned fuel smell totally different. If it smells like gasoline then you need to be careful and investigate immediatley.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
jason335777
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post

Yeah, this is what it smells like. Like when you get gas on your fingers. Hmmm, its just weird cause it literally started happening once I put the tune in. I'll let you know if it happens when I remove the Procede again. To the dealer I go!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Reset adaptations an it shouldnt smell anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
for fuck's sake, i hope that's an april fool's joke
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
Quote:
for fuck's sake, i hope that's an april fool's joke
Lol no joke though my car had a burning smell the first few days and after reseting adaptions(robert recommended i reset adaptation) it had no smell what so ever.
It wasnt a gasoline smell more of a burning smell..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Lol no joke though my car had a burning smell the first few days and after reseting adaptions(robert recommended i reset adaptation) it had no smell what so ever.
weird

you can see what adaptations are reset in the procede command center. i fail to see the correlation between any of those adaptations and a fuel smell, but ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
Quote:
weird

you can see what adaptations are reset in the procede command center. i fail to see the correlation between any of those adaptations and a fuel smell, but ok.
Well it was a burning smell not a raw gasoline smell.
I dont know why it did that, but thats probably why shiv always recomends to reset adaptations when installing the procede?
Anyways good luck figuring it out op.
Appreciate 0