E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help with a Jehnert Flatline/XD600 combo

01-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW328i

Thanks for the links. I've actually been searching on diyma as well. I tried reseating the connectors several times, but that didn't help. Then I tried to tenporarily connect a second ground wire from the back of the HU to the same ground post the amp's connected to. That also didn't help.

I didn't cut the factory ground wire at the back of the HU though. Am I supposed to cut it? Before I do any cutting, I just wanted to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The right thing to do from my point of view

The right thing to do from my point of view
would be to swap out the radio but I'm guessing you don't have
another one. Based on the fact that most people don't have this
problem there must be some way for the car to be noise free
with the existing hardware.
If you have a known good radio and it still doesn't fix it , it must be in the harness or induced in the harness.
I'm wondering if you could rig up something to play the same mp3 player
all the way from the radio harness connector as a substitute for another
radio.

Anyone else got any idea's
At this point I am throwing darts.

Anyway to bench test the radio for noise?

Last edited by ctuna; 01-26-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hmm, thanks, that's an interesting idea... I could get one of these below, hook it up to the existing harness behind the HU, wire the other end to a 3.5mm jack, and connect an mp3 player.

If that setup gives no noise at all, then I guess I could have a bad headunit. I'm still wondering if I should be disconnecting the factory ground wire when connecting the 2nd ground wire, if that'll affect anything. I'm just hesistant to cut into factory wires unless I absolutely have to.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #26
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Since its hard to get an OEM Head Unit

Since its hard to get an OEM Head Unit for any reasonable price
maybe its time to consider aftermarket and keep the original for programming
if needed. Its not something most of us are hot on but the aftermarkets
do offer a lot more bang for the buck.
They have HD Radio , bluetooth streaming audio , bluetooth , ipod ,usb
graphic and parametric equalizer , time aliginment all in the same package.

The down side is they look out of place in the car , If you go to get it programmed you need the factory unit in place and you can have a bunch
of error messages if you have a lot of stuff on the most bus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-professi...8e553c&vxp=mtr

I found the above kind of interesting but installing it seem a little nebulous on the programming side.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #27
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ctuna, thanks for the input. I'm also not too keen on putting in an aftermarket HU. I like the stock look and how the OEM HU blends into the interior.

So, just some updates on this after troubleshooting over the past week... I received the Metra harness and modified it so that I could connect my external mp3 player to the harness using a 3.5mm jack, in place of the OEM HU. So basically, I had this setup going:

External mp3 player -> Metra Harness -> Factory Wiring -> XD600 amp

Result: No noise/hiss whatsover - Everything was blissfully silent!

So, would it be fair to conclude any of the following from this experiment:

1) The factory wiring from the HU to the amp is not picking up interference and is not the cause of the noise.

2) If (1) is true, then looking at the next component up the line (the OEM HU), the factory grounding of the HU could perhaps be leading to differing 'ground potentials' between the HU and amp. If so, perhaps routing a dedicated ground wire from the HU to same location where the amp is grounded could fix the noise?

3) If (2) does not fix noise, could this be a bad HU, perhaps a unit that's not properly grounded internally?

Some other observations:

1) When OEM HU is off, there is no noise/hiss. When OEM HU is on but muted (volume set to 0), noise/hiss is also not present.
2) Turning volume to 1 is enough to bring back the hiss.
3) Hiss doesn't seem to get louder when the volume is increased.
4) Hiss doesn't appear to change with rpm.

If anyone can deduce anything from the contrary, please do chime in, as I would really like to get your opinions. Thanks all!

Last edited by MJ777LR; 02-03-2013 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #28
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To update you guys, I think I've determined the cause of the whining hiss. I managed to get a hold of a used OEM Professional radio from a fellow forum member and it seems that the whining/hissing noise is completely gone.

I would carry on using this radio, but it seems like it doesn't support 6FL (no USB icon appears on the screen). I guess that means I have to get a 'new' radio from BMW. I say 'new' because it appears that BMW doesn't sell brand new radios, but only remanufactured ones. And they run about $800 before a $500 refundable core.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Anyone know why they don't sell 'brand new' radios? One more thing, if I put in a 2009+ LCI radio, will any extra coding be needed, or would it just be plug-and-play?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I think coding is what you needed in the one without USB. Coding adds whatever options you have--satellite radio, USB, etc. I suspect that whatever radio you get you will have to have it coded to match your options.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There was a guy selling OEM's on ebay

Apparently there is a new Euro Oem that has USB , Bluetooth and HD
Radio contained within the Head unit. The method of getting it to
work seem's a little sketchy.

I might consider a aftermarket deck at this point .

You can get so much more feature wise.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The one in that ebay link doesn't look too bad of an option. As far as the part number goes, 65-12-9-289-127, I can't seem to find this on realOEM or anywhere on the internet (googling only shows up that ebay link). Thoughts on this?

As far as possible, I'd like to keep the HU stock. I guess if I get that unit, I would need to rewire my existing USB jack so that it goes straight to the HU, and same for the existing microphone as well, since the MULF/TCU is no longer be 'needed', so to speak. I know there's some coding to be done to register the HU to the car, but since I already have 6FL and bluetooth in my VO, shouldn't everything just 'work' if I plug in one of these newer units?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

That's the stuff that's not clear

That's the stuff that's not clear .
How will it play with existing stuff when it's intended for 2010 plus car.
There is a guy with the handle woodpecka in the thread that did it to and e91
06 and I had considered it, but he didn't have any existing options . You have to change the production date of the car temporarily to get the new software to load in your VO and do the setup then you change it back. You have to be sure to get one with a Most Bus connection.

I notice the ebay link has been updated today.

I talked to him and he replied

"I think it's risky to loose the SOS. I don't know if ou can use a MULF or TCU with this.

Based on our car, try to see if you cannot just recode your radio to add the usb option. I saw that some recent car can get this by just adding the $6fl VO + proper hardware.

I used the latest daten v47, change the build date to a recent one and use VO $6fl and $6nn.

Good luck."

Last edited by ctuna; 02-13-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #33
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

From what I've researched, I think the coding process involves adding the necessary values to the VO (for the 6FL, bluetooth, etc), then changing the production date in NCS so that the car can see the new HU (since the new HU is not 'meant' for cars with an older production date), then performing an sg reset or something along those lines so that the new HU will have the 6FL and bluetooth options enabled. Since I already have 6FL and bluetooth from the factory, I think I should be able to skip the first step.

I'd like to get the new HU with built in USB/bluetooth, but I'm just wondering, do you happen to know if the unit you linked to is a US model? The ebay listing shows the Sirius logo on the outside of the HU, so I'm guessing it should be, since Sirius is a US-only thing. But, even so, I can't seem to find the part number on realOEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm pretty sure it mentioned it as a Euro model.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned as a Euro model.
But my guess would be that is has a American number to.
Why don't you shoot woodpecka a email maybe he can clarify things.
However if you have to buy it from BMW in the US I would guess
the price would double.

Also I think you have to change the production date first then add the VO stuff and do the reset or code the radio or go in and change individual lines in the 2rad or 2urad file in that order.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-11-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #35
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

MJ777LR,

Did you ever get a new factory head unit? I am about to do this upgrade and am afraid of the same issue; OEM hiss that was there before is now exceedingly worse. My car is still under warranty, so I could have the dealership address the hissing noise. And I may do that, but wanted to know if you had success yet with locating something else.

- Chris

Last edited by crvz; 01-11-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #36
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Apparently there is a new Euro Oem that has USB , Bluetooth and HD
Radio contained within the Head unit. The method of getting it to
work seem's a little sketchy.

I might consider a aftermarket deck at this point .

You can get so much more feature wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR View Post
The one in that ebay link doesn't look too bad of an option. As far as the part number goes, 65-12-9-289-127, I can't seem to find this on realOEM or anywhere on the internet (googling only shows up that ebay link). Thoughts on this?

As far as possible, I'd like to keep the HU stock. I guess if I get that unit, I would need to rewire my existing USB jack so that it goes straight to the HU, and same for the existing microphone as well, since the MULF/TCU is no longer be 'needed', so to speak. I know there's some coding to be done to register the HU to the car, but since I already have 6FL and bluetooth in my VO, shouldn't everything just 'work' if I plug in one of these newer units?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR View Post
From what I've researched, I think the coding process involves adding the necessary values to the VO (for the 6FL, bluetooth, etc), then changing the production date in NCS so that the car can see the new HU (since the new HU is not 'meant' for cars with an older production date), then performing an sg reset or something along those lines so that the new HU will have the 6FL and bluetooth options enabled. Since I already have 6FL and bluetooth from the factory, I think I should be able to skip the first step.

I'd like to get the new HU with built in USB/bluetooth, but I'm just wondering, do you happen to know if the unit you linked to is a US model? The ebay listing shows the Sirius logo on the outside of the HU, so I'm guessing it should be, since Sirius is a US-only thing. But, even so, I can't seem to find the part number on realOEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I'm pretty sure it mentioned it as a Euro model.
But my guess would be that is has a American number to.
Why don't you shoot woodpecka a email maybe he can clarify things.
However if you have to buy it from BMW in the US I would guess
the price would double.

Also I think you have to change the production date first then add the VO stuff and do the reset or code the radio or go in and change individual lines in the 2rad or 2urad file in that order.
I have posted the american PN MANY MANY times.
Appreciate 0