E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help Me Chose My First Bmw!

05-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #89
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 30i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey View Post
Yes, the 330 and the 325 have the same N52 engine (just a different intake) and the maintenance should be the same.
^This. Only thing is that 330i's are quite sought after for being a one-year model so they can command a premium (only real differences are tune and intake manifold). Whichever one you find a good deal on for a solid car. PPI is key, and Douche is quite right about things popping up quite faster than you anticipate. I'm glad you're going that route, though! It should be a fun experience slowly improving an E90 without too much reliability heartache.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #90
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
Dude you don't have to like me. Heck, you're in an age where you may even not like your parents.

Used cars come with a rule: you have to have the cash to do a preventative maintenance after you buy them, and that costs a few thousand dollars. If you saved enough just for the car, you won't make it. The other rule is having cash to maintain them afterwards. Especially cars that are so expensive to maintain and come with such an "unknown" factor regarding its reliability (especially when you know nothing about them, being you are buying used from a ghetto shop).

Particularly we couldn't care less how enthusiast you are. I am a plane enthusiast, I don't own an Airbus A380.

But I said what I said, and I really do believe we sometimes are too hard headed to learn from others or from reason. We have to take the fall to learn ourselves.

I sincerely hope you don't, but if you do, it will be a good lesson. And you're young, it's not the end of the world, plenty of time to recuperate after that.

Click ignore on my profile if you don't like what I have to say.
I actually really enjoy listening to what you have to say. I never said I didn't like you, in my honest opinion the way you present what you have to say has the greatest impact. If you suggest I do not buy the BMW what should I get?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #91
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm so conflicted right now about what I should do. I cant thank the community enough for all the help I have received the past few days. I think I am set on a 06 325i (manual obviously) which will be a long and difficult search but hopefully I will find one. From there I can save up for services and tunes that I can afford at my own standard instead of having to be pressed down by a finance or lease. Worst case scenario the car sits in my garage for a while. I will keep everyone posted as I go, keep the good help flowing I am almost certain I'm not the only one getting a load of help in here!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #92
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre LCI 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I just sold my '06 330xi (best car I ever owned) with 167,000 miles on the odometer. $11,000 sounds kind of high unless it has fairly low mileage.
wtf, $11,000 is cheap as fuck for a 06 330xi even with high mileage.
      05-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #93
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridz0rz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I just sold my '06 330xi (best car I ever owned) with 167,000 miles on the odometer. $11,000 sounds kind of high unless it has fairly low mileage.
wtf, $11,000 is cheap as fuck for a 06 330xi even with high mileage.
It's not really anymore... I can get one here today for 9k, with 100k miles...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #94
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi -> E90 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
I actually really enjoy listening to what you have to say. I never said I didn't like you, in my honest opinion the way you present what you have to say has the greatest impact. If you suggest I do not buy the BMW what should I get?
Any reason you would not consider a Scion FR-S or a Subaru BRZ instead? It is as fast as a 330, while more fun to drive.
      05-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #95
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

Quote:
I'm getting a summer job, my parents help me out here and there but I have saved up all my money myself. There are against the idea of me getting a BMW but they understand that I'm really stuck to it so they are willing to help me a little.
Listen to your parents. Listen to the forum. Don't do it.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #96
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
Any reason you would not consider a Scion FR-S or a Subaru BRZ instead? It is as fast as a 330, while more fun to drive.
just my stubborn addiction to bmw
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #97
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi -> E90 N55

Quote:
just my stubborn addiction to bmw
Well in that case, may I ask what quality of a BMW that you are searching for or you just want something with BMW logo? In my experience, M cars are the only ones that truly represent a BMW. A regular BMW is not so far off from a Audi or a Mercedes...Similarities between a M3 and a 335 is not that much...not to mention when compared with a 330 or a 328...
      05-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #98
stewey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT

I'm tempted to reply to this bit can't tell if you are serious or just trolling. If you're serious then probably best if I let douche handle this...
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 02:03 AM   #99
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Hi,
I too recently was obsessed with buying a BMW E90 and finally bought one last week. I lurked here for a month, did an extensive research and finally settled on LCI 328i bone stock (figured less things would break down). I paid a pretty reasonable price for it and this is what I learned:

Be patient. One week you might have many cars to choose from and next week it might be gone. I can tell you these E90s are popular and they move quick if the price is fair and condition is good. So be patient. If you need this as you main mode of transportation, then others have spoken about that. BMWs I think is little more than that.

When inquiring about a car, always ask for VIN. Check online for VIN search on BMW archive and nicb.org. mycarfax.com will also give you decent service record and you can analyze if the ad owner is being forthright. You know the saying, sometimes you buy because who the owner is.

Be discipline. Have a budget and stick to it. Don't stretch for 335i if your budget is 328i or Mtech vs stock, pre LCI vs LCI, beige interior vs Red, etc. Certain option command more money and we're all tempted by our dream combination. Just pick few musts such as black interior and 6MT and stick to that and go from there.

Research about E90 here and get advice. I think you've done that. Done.

My ideal car in the beginning was Black E90 LCI 335i Mtech with 6MT and red or black interior with aluminum trim. I ended up with Silver E90 LCI stock, wood trim with auto. And lower mileage and few months of warranty left. And loving it!!

BTW I bought mine off CL, and met many good owners. You can tell if the ad was well written by a good owner.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by bkwld; 05-07-2015 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #100
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
Well in that case, may I ask what quality of a BMW that you are searching for or you just want something with BMW logo? In my experience, M cars are the only ones that truly represent a BMW. A regular BMW is not so far off from a Audi or a Mercedes...Similarities between a M3 and a 335 is not that much...not to mention when compared with a 330 or a 328...
e90, 335 would be best (m3 dream), something that I can work on during the weekends. I want to make cars my hobby and I love bmws... hopefully that explains it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:59 AM   #101
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Hi,
I too recently was obsessed with buying a BMW E90 and finally bought one last week. I lurked here for a month, did an extensive research and finally settled on LCI 328i bone stock (figured less things would break down). I paid a pretty reasonable price for it and this is what I learned:

Be patient. One week you might have many cars to choose from and next week it might be gone. I can tell you these E90s are popular and they move quick if the price is fair and condition is good. So be patient. If you need this as you main mode of transportation, then others have spoken about that. BMWs I think is little more than that.

When inquiring about a car, always ask for VIN. Check online for VIN search on BMW archive and nicb.org. mycarfax.com will also give you decent service record and you can analyze if the ad owner is being forthright. You know the saying, sometimes you buy because who the owner is.

Be discipline. Have a budget and stick to it. Don't stretch for 335i if your budget is 328i or Mtech vs stock, pre LCI vs LCI, beige interior vs Red, etc. Certain option command more money and we're all tempted by our dream combination. Just pick few musts such as black interior and 6MT and stick to that and go from there.

Research about E90 here and get advice. I think you've done that. Done.

My ideal car in the beginning was Black E90 LCI 335i Mtech with 6MT and red or black interior with aluminum trim. I ended up with Silver E90 LCI stock, wood trim with auto. And lower mileage and few months of warranty left. And loving it!!

BTW I bought mine off CL, and met many good owners. You can tell if the ad was well written by a good owner.

Good luck to you.
I think im following your path exactly. Im almost certain I will be doing the exact same thing as you. However, how did you convince yourself to get an auto instead of 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:42 AM   #102
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I'll Chime in with the rest on having enough before you spring for one. I got my very first car and BMW two months ago. A used but impeccably mint 07 e92 335i. It was sitting idle for over 6 months in a porch and had only done 20k KM over the last 5 years. Even with such little use there were many in parts which I had to part my daily lunches for. Oil sensor, water pump, rims, tires, wheel bearings, battery, vanos and the recent service.
Even in my case where the car was practically unused with showroom leather seats, there are many wear abd tear parts which will go with the years, you really have to be prepare to empty that kind of money to get her up and running if you so wish to get a BMW. Parts do command a premium with these cars and it should come from your own pocket.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #103
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Quote:

I think im following your path exactly. Im almost certain I will be doing the exact same thing as you. However, how did you convince yourself to get an auto instead of 6MT?
There just isnt enough 6MT in my criteria.. Suprisingly to me AT is blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:36 AM   #104
Eastbaylimit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

2015 BMW M5 or 2015 Nissan GTR
2015 BMW M3
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #105
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Chiming in here if OP is still looking.
I spent 6 months looking for the right car when I bought my E46 coupe 5 years ago. Bought it at 120k and sold it a week ago at 185k. I spent more than what I bought the car for to maintain, mod and repair that car. Yes, easily over $2000 a year on preventative maintenance and repair in the early years, but steadily spent less on subsequent years. It still drives like it should from the factory till this day. The person who bought it from me, bought it for his daughter knowing that the car is in impeccable condition although with high miles.

Recently, I spent 4 months trying to find an audi A4 that suited my needs. Although, I couldn't find one with memory seats and xenons I had to buy one because everything else I wanted was there and needed an AWD for traveling in winter. My lowered E46 just wasn't the right car for mountain driving in winter. Maintenance aside, I retrofitted both memory seats and bi-xenons within 2 months of ownership for a good chunk of money. I have owned that car for 7 months and already spend $3k on repairs, retrofits and preventative maintenance.

Not trying to scare you, but giving you some realistic figures of what to expect when you own a used german car. The face value is only the tip of an iceberg. Jaguar is a different beast, you don't even want to know what I spent on maintaining it.

My criteria for the 328 coupe, from highest to lowest priority.
- No TiAg cars (must). Just my pet peeve.
- Sports package (must)
- Winter package, at least heated seats (must)
- Power seats, with memory functions (must). I and wife switch cars all the time so the need for memory seats is paramount.
- Bixenons (coupes come with bixenons anyway).
- Would like to avoid iDrive (unless its 09 and above).
- Less than 80K miles (can go upto 100k miles if I get the service records).
- Shouldn't be beige interior (not against it, but want a change).
- Automatic because wife declines to drive manual in traffic. Although she is pretty good at driving manual.
- Heated steering wheel if possible.
- Prefer montage blue with brown or red interior.

* I can afford a 335 or an M but I need a reliable daily driver that is fun yet doesnt command my time every weekend on the repair and maintenance. I like spending time fishing or watching movie rather than worrying about next thing breaking in my car. I want my insurance and gas cost to be low. Plus, after owning 2 BMWs, an audi and jaguar I am pretty good with DIY and have a plethora of metric tools.

Why 328 coupe?
- I don't want headache that comes with turbo cars(335). I own one and one is enough.
- I come from E46 and E39 and love the NA inline 6 and 50/50 balance (although xi would not be perfect 50/50).
- At most, I will have 2 people in my car unless there is a rare trip that needs to be made with more people. In last 5 years, the most number of people I had in my car is 4. E92 coupe sits 4 anyway and I have a second car if I need to sit 5.
- I am well versed with BMW and where to get the parts and have necessary tools(almost all) to DIY anything.
- And I can install 3 stage manifold along with AA tune on a 328 to get to 330 territory. Same goes for 325, but they don't come in coupes.

The only thing I am not able to decide is whether to go with xi or i. Having owned an RWD e46 for 5 years, I know it can be hairy at times in snow. But I do have a4 quattro that I can share with the wife in those snow days. Waiting for the right one to pop up. I am a patient man and I will know when the right one pops up.

If set on an e90/e92, my advice to OP:
- Do your research on the model you want to purchase. Read through the differences of sport/premium/winter package.
- There wont be much difference in price between 325/330 and 328. You will find more 328s just because they are not restricted to one year production.
- Be certain on what you exact options you want. AWD if you are in snow belt and thats going to be your only car. Heated seats, once you have them you can't go back. Same goes for Xenons. You don't want to buy a car without an option you wanted in it.
* See my list above. I am prepared to pay a good amount of money if I can find my unicorn.
- Start collecting metric tools if you want to own a BMW. And be prepared to modify some tools when needed.
- BMW scanner is a must if you plan on doing any coding or reading codes. It is a powerful tool and have helped countless members in E46fanatics with my scanner.
- Coupes command a premium in insurance. They are classified as a sports car even if its a chevy cavalier coupe. Yah, 335 coupe would command even more. So, make your choice wisely.
- Be prepared to spend quite a bit in the first year of ownership to bring the car to your standards. I don't know what you want from the car, but I like to be familiar with the car inside out and do preventative maintenance where necessary right away.
- Don't spend on rimz and subs within the first year of ownership. Buy tools with that money.
- PPI is a must unless you are super familiar with ins and outs of BMW. Which I doubt you are at this age, no disrespect.
- Finance the car (if possible with parents co-signing) for 2-3 years term with half of the amount paid in cash. You will have half of your savings left over for repairs and maintenance and you will learn how to be financial responsible by paying your monthly fees. This will help you build credit and within 2-3 years you will own the car. The interest rates are not bad right now.

I like seeing ambition in young people. I hope you make a good choice. Stay safe. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #106
stewey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT

Solid advice! Looking forward to an update from the OP. Let's hear a breakdown of must haves.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #107
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Chiming in here if OP is still looking.
I spent 6 months looking for the right car when I bought my E46 coupe 5 years ago. Bought it at 120k and sold it a week ago at 185k. I spent more than what I bought the car for to maintain, mod and repair that car. Yes, easily over $2000 a year on preventative maintenance and repair in the early years, but steadily spent less on subsequent years. It still drives like it should from the factory till this day. The person who bought it from me, bought it for his daughter knowing that the car is in impeccable condition although with high miles.

Recently, I spent 4 months trying to find an audi A4 that suited my needs. Although, I couldn't find one with memory seats and xenons I had to buy one because everything else I wanted was there and needed an AWD for traveling in winter. My lowered E46 just wasn't the right car for mountain driving in winter. Maintenance aside, I retrofitted both memory seats and bi-xenons within 2 months of ownership for a good chunk of money. I have owned that car for 7 months and already spend $3k on repairs, retrofits and preventative maintenance.

Not trying to scare you, but giving you some realistic figures of what to expect when you own a used german car. The face value is only the tip of an iceberg. Jaguar is a different beast, you don't even want to know what I spent on maintaining it.

My criteria for the 328 coupe, from highest to lowest priority.
- No TiAg cars (must). Just my pet peeve.
- Sports package (must)
- Winter package, at least heated seats (must)
- Power seats, with memory functions (must). I and wife switch cars all the time so the need for memory seats is paramount.
- Bixenons (coupes come with bixenons anyway).
- Would like to avoid iDrive (unless its 09 and above).
- Less than 80K miles (can go upto 100k miles if I get the service records).
- Shouldn't be beige interior (not against it, but want a change).
- Automatic because wife declines to drive manual in traffic. Although she is pretty good at driving manual.
- Heated steering wheel if possible.
- Prefer montage blue with brown or red interior.

* I can afford a 335 or an M but I need a reliable daily driver that is fun yet doesnt command my time every weekend on the repair and maintenance. I like spending time fishing or watching movie rather than worrying about next thing breaking in my car. I want my insurance and gas cost to be low. Plus, after owning 2 BMWs, an audi and jaguar I am pretty good with DIY and have a plethora of metric tools.

Why 328 coupe?
- I don't want headache that comes with turbo cars(335). I own one and one is enough.
- I come from E46 and E39 and love the NA inline 6 and 50/50 balance (although xi would not be perfect 50/50).
- At most, I will have 2 people in my car unless there is a rare trip that needs to be made with more people. In last 5 years, the most number of people I had in my car is 4. E92 coupe sits 4 anyway and I have a second car if I need to sit 5.
- I am well versed with BMW and where to get the parts and have necessary tools(almost all) to DIY anything.
- And I can install 3 stage manifold along with AA tune on a 328 to get to 330 territory. Same goes for 325, but they don't come in coupes.

The only thing I am not able to decide is whether to go with xi or i. Having owned an RWD e46 for 5 years, I know it can be hairy at times in snow. But I do have a4 quattro that I can share with the wife in those snow days. Waiting for the right one to pop up. I am a patient man and I will know when the right one pops up.

If set on an e90/e92, my advice to OP:
- Do your research on the model you want to purchase. Read through the differences of sport/premium/winter package.
- There wont be much difference in price between 325/330 and 328. You will find more 328s just because they are not restricted to one year production.
- Be certain on what you exact options you want. AWD if you are in snow belt and thats going to be your only car. Heated seats, once you have them you can't go back. Same goes for Xenons. You don't want to buy a car without an option you wanted in it.
* See my list above. I am prepared to pay a good amount of money if I can find my unicorn.
- Start collecting metric tools if you want to own a BMW. And be prepared to modify some tools when needed.
- BMW scanner is a must if you plan on doing any coding or reading codes. It is a powerful tool and have helped countless members in E46fanatics with my scanner.
- Coupes command a premium in insurance. They are classified as a sports car even if its a chevy cavalier coupe. Yah, 335 coupe would command even more. So, make your choice wisely.
- Be prepared to spend quite a bit in the first year of ownership to bring the car to your standards. I don't know what you want from the car, but I like to be familiar with the car inside out and do preventative maintenance where necessary right away.
- Don't spend on rimz and subs within the first year of ownership. Buy tools with that money.
- PPI is a must unless you are super familiar with ins and outs of BMW. Which I doubt you are at this age, no disrespect.
- Finance the car (if possible with parents co-signing) for 2-3 years term with half of the amount paid in cash. You will have half of your savings left over for repairs and maintenance and you will learn how to be financial responsible by paying your monthly fees. This will help you build credit and within 2-3 years you will own the car. The interest rates are not bad right now.

I like seeing ambition in young people. I hope you make a good choice. Stay safe. Good luck.
I am still looking, I have just been inactive for a while (finals coming up). But, your post helps a lot. So for me sports package seems like a must to me. However, unfortunately all the priorities you listed may not be completely viable for me at my price. I did find this car though: http://www.amecaautopdx.com/2007_BMW..._254437660.veh hes a one man dealer (I think he keeps his cars in his friends lot) but its clean, drives, great, meets almost if not all of your priorities. It is a coupe, which like you stated will raise insurance... And I'm planning on getting it inspected tomorrow. So once I buy the car I'm planning on buying a good amount of tools, any specific suggestions to fill my toolbox, it would be great if you could list them in order of highest priority to lowest and give me a brief explanation of what it does and why I need it. I know that's asking a lot but it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #108
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

http://www.amecaautopdx.com/2007_BMW..._254437660.veh

This may be the one.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #109
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
... 116,000 miles?? Maybe others disagree, but the only people who buy/drive high mileage BMWs are ones who are very mechanically inclined or maybe someone who has no idea what the car may need in maintenance. Once again, fair warning. There's a reason its so cheap...

Also, I thought you said you wanted a manual? That's an automatic.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #110
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Op let me make a suggestion since I know owning a BMW is going to be a hard thought to shake. AVOID THE 335. The 335 in your budget has the N54 engine which is known for being a nightmare out of warranty. It's a great engine but if 11k is your max price then an N54 335 would cripple you financially. Also there are 330s out there in rwd. Or why not just look for 07 328s?
Appreciate 1