E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best tune and map for bone stock 335i sedan with MT?

08-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
yabcoder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Best tune and map for bone stock 335i sedan with MT?

OK before I get flamed I swear that I did a lot of searches on this. Its just that most people that get a tune have some kind of intake/exhaust or something else done and when you search stock you get infinite results.

I want to stay bone stock for awhile and want the best and safest tune out there that will give me the best performance, reliability and ease of use as well as make it easy to clear codes. So if I go with JB3 which map would be the best? or V4 ? which map would be the best?

I will do my research once I see what people say is the best for this situation.

Thanks

pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415615
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

either Procede or Jb3...they both have the same power for stock car...now do a search of what features you feel is important to you at this time...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
yabcoder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
either Procede or Jb3...they both have the same power for stock car...now do a search of what features you feel is important to you at this time...
well it looks like jb3 has the most stock maps to choose from..

pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415615
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabcoder View Post
Not possible as with autotuning the procede has infinite maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Horrible way of looking at it.

You didnt do any research.... trust me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Not possible as with autotuning the procede has infinite maps.
How is this correct?! If you stay stock , there is nothing for the procede to autotune? Hence only one map for him to use correct?

Well except for when he drops some race gas in there. But basically that would be it. With the JB he could use map 3 or map 5 if he's feelin juicy..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
How is this correct?! If you stay stock , there is nothing for the procede to autotune? Hence only one map for him to use correct?

Well except for when he drops some race gas in there. But basically that would be it. With the JB he could use map 3 or map 5 if he's feelin juicy..
Conditions change....tune follows.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Conditions change....tune follows.
Example... Weather humidity elevation octane etc
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Example... Weather humidity elevation octane etc
The DME does that on its own anyways, well aside from octane.. Give me more than that..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
The DME does that on its own anyways, well aside from octane.. Give me more than that..
the DME doesnt know how to tune for increased boost.........
      08-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
OP- general consensus from those who have tried both is that the Procede handles 6mt applications far better. Whereas the jb3, in some cars, suffer from shift bog (a search will provide more info). When comparing functionality and tune efficacy between the two tunes, the Procede will win. In 6mt application the margin of victory is greater. You can always try both tunes and see for yourself. But usually the Procede's basic feature list (autotuning, code reading/clearing, dash displays, progressive meth mapping, throttle control, etc) makes the decision pretty cut and dry.

Then again, I'm pretty biased towards the tune we developed. But I'd argue that it is justified as we are comparing an open piggyback boost controller (with basic open loop fuel offsetting) to a fully CANbus integrated tuning computer with closed loop fuel, timing and boost control. Very different creatures.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:

Incorrect, the power level of a stock engine is defined by BMW's conservative power setting of the ECU, and this limitation is bypassed by all aftermarket tunes in one way or another.

The Procede, as the JB3, will increase the boost a lot also in a stock car and make it running much stronger. There is no difference to the JB3 in this respect, except for the Procede will find the optimal boost level itself by the Autotune while you have to switch map and preferably check logs for the JB3 to achieve maximum power for a specific vehicle. The resulting maximum output power will be the same for both tunes. The engine doesn't know whether it is a JB3 or Procede regarding max power since a certain boost will produce exactly the same power independent of tune.

There are differences though between the tunes as e.g. regarding power delivery over the RPM range and additional features. The Procede has built in facilities to present fault codes and erase them etc. The upcoming version of the JB3 will adopt several of the Procede’s features, and probably also add some new features.

End result is that both tunes makes the same max power and the Procede is more feature rich while a bare bone JB3 is cheaper to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Both tunes are the same in that they will give you more power safely the only difference is the features they offer. Don't let price be a factor just SEARCH and pick one that has the features you want.

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:

I want to stay bone stock for awhile and want the best and safest tune out there that will give me the best performance, reliability and ease of use as well as make it easy to clear codes.

Thanks
Based on the attributes you're looking for in a tune you're pretty much describing the GIAC tune, not the piggys. With GIAC ease of use doesn't get any easier - once it's installed there's absolutely nothing else to deal with. You have a car that runs as smooth as stock (if not a bit smoother) but with a lot more power. And you don't have to worry about codes, because there aren't any to clear. And as for reliability, well what did your search show you? Look at how many threads there are with people saying they need help with their piggys - there are quite a few, but you probably won't even find one where someone is having a problem with a GIAC tune. The piggys are great tunes for sure but they don't match up with what you're asking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Based on the attributes you're looking for in a tune you're pretty much describing the GIAC tune, not the piggys. With GIAC ease of use doesn't get any easier - once it's installed there's absolutely nothing else to deal with. You have a car that runs as smooth as stock (if not a bit smoother) but with a lot more power. And you don't have to worry about codes, because there aren't any to clear. And as for reliability, well what did your search show you? Look at how many threads there are with people saying they need help with their piggys - there are quite a few, but you probably won't even find one where someone is having a problem with a GIAC tune. The piggys are great tunes for sure but they don't match up with what you're asking for.

Given that he asked about codes I would assume he is worried about keeping his warranty. GIAC will not allow that if the shit hits the fan, at least w a piggie he can take it off, clear all codes and play dumb if thats what he wants to do.

GIAC is a great tune, I rode in a stgII car, felt great.
      08-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
No it doesn't.
So basically if I don't drastically change my altitude or live in a climate that where humidity doesn't fluctuate or rarely put 100 octane in my car, the autotune really does nothing to a stock car?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So basically if I don't drastically change my altitude or live in a climate that where humidity doesn't fluctuate or rarely put 100 octane in my car, the autotune really does nothing to a stock car?
does it stay the same temp all day every day where you live? If not then it will be working for you.
      08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Incorrect. Autotuning, among other things, will find the "ideal" boost/timing settings for your car even if your car, driving conditions, driving habits, fuel quality, etc,. never changes. So instead of you having to try all the various map settings, you simple let autotuning find the best setting for you. And conditions WILL change unless you live on another planet without an atmosphere or proximity to a sun. This is just a fact of life. So we developed (and applied for patent on) an autotuning system that does all the work for you. And better than you ever could do yourself since it is always monitoring for knock. Something that you (a jb3 user) can't do all the time, or at all, without an additional diagnostic tool.

This is the advantage of having a diagnostic system/tool INTEGRATED WITH the tune and NOT a generic add-on device (ie, BT tool plus jb3). They can talk to teach other and make sure both entities do the work that they are well equipped to do.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Incorrect. Autotuning, among other things, will find the "ideal" boost/timing settings for your car even if your car, driving conditions, driving habits, fuel quality, etc,. never changes. So instead of you having to try all the various map settings, you simple let autotuning find the best setting for you. And conditions WILL change unless you live on another planet without an atmosphere or proximity to a sun. This is just a fact of life. So we developed (and applied for patent on) an autotuning system that does all the work for you. And better than you ever could do yourself since it is always monitoring for knock. Something that you (a jb3 user) can't do all the time, or at all, without an additional diagnostic tool.

This is the advantage of having a diagnostic system/tool INTEGRATED WITH the tune and NOT a generic add-on device (ie, BT tool plus jb3). They can talk to teach other and make sure both entities do the work that they are well equipped to do.

Shiv
Yes I am a JB3, but what does that have to do with anything.. I still don't see the point of auto tuning on a stock or intake only car. If I want to up my boost from map 3 to 5 because Im dropping some 100 octane in my car, BTW this does not happen on the fly. I usually have to stop my car and get out, kill the ignition to fuel up my tank. When all is said and done I can just switch maps when I turn it back on.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

Quote:
Yes I am a JB3, but what does that have to do with anything.. I still don't see the point of auto tuning on a stock or intake only car. If I want to up my boost from map 3 to 5 because Im dropping some 100 octane in my car, BTW this does not happen on the fly. I usually have to stop my car and get out, kill the ignition to fuel up my tank. When all is said and done I can just switch maps when I turn it back on.....
I have an 07 e90 MT with nothing but V4.

I feel a significant change in power on cool mornings and evenings when Autotuning does its thing. I can also see evidence of this with the integrated boost gauge. Its really quite remarkable. I had a stage 2 GIAC tuned VW that could not respond like this to improve performance when conditions allow.

To OP: Though I have not tried the JB you will definately not be dissappointed with a Procede. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #22
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

RambleJ - You're not appreciating the innovation that went into a system that is doing the optimizing for you. In addition, the Procede is getting the most out of the current conditions without you having to check logs or wait for the slower knock censor to kick in before something bad happens.

If there's still a bit of your 91 octane mixed with the 100, the Procede will compensate for that, safely. When you have straight 100 going in, Procede will automatically adjust its settings and make more power, safely.

How can it get any better than that??